Gransnet forums

AIBU

To hope for help from husband?

(79 Posts)
Ukulele28 Tue 10-Apr-18 12:14:04

I'm fed up with having to check DH pockets before doing washing. Over the years I have found many items ranging from screw drivers, money to a full wallet. Today I forgot to check and now have to wash everything again, as there was tissue in one of his shirt pockets.
We've had a dishwasher for about 10yrs. DH usually leaves his dirty crockery/cutlery next to the sink, even though I ask him to put it in the dishwasher.
If I'm lucky he'll do that but literally throws everything in. I then have the job of reloading before washing.
I know these are little things but I find them annoying, AIBU.

Ukulele28 Fri 13-Apr-18 11:55:09

Did washing yesterday. Checked pockets and guess what.....three £1 coins in one of his pockets.
Have told him finders keepers so I'm £3 better off!
f77ms he would just see that as nagging. One thing I've learned over the years is how good he is at switching off when he chooses ?.
As for changing him I don't think it's going to happen, and I really wouldn't want to.
Thank you for your replies everyone, never thought I'd get so many of you respond.

f77ms Fri 13-Apr-18 09:38:49

magicwriter2016 because food left on the plates blocks the little holes in the arms where the water comes out ! so next time you use the DW lots of things come out dirty . I have two AS`s still at home , one rinses the plates , puts his clothes in the washing basket or washes them and tidies up the bathroom after himself . The other one does none of the above , strange because they have both been brought up the same , I think it is a bit of laziness as in the case of the OPs husband . You can`t teach an old dog new tricks but could tell him off mercilessly until he gets fed up of hearing you !

MagicWriter2016 Thu 12-Apr-18 19:11:23

Pittcity, you have stolen that thought straight out of my head lol!

To be honest though, life is too short to be sweating about this sort of stuff. Either carry on what you have always done or just stop washing his clothes. And as for his dirty dishes, I never understand why people rinse their plates ect before putting them into the dishwasher unless they are going to be sitting there for hours/days before switching it on.

SingingSilver Thu 12-Apr-18 16:49:17

I remember reading on another forum about a woman who dealt successfully with that issue. Every time she found a mug or plate he'd left "for the washing up fairies" or a towel on the bathroom floor for the "picking up towels fairy", she'd make him say "I left it there because you, I have no respect for you." And it worked, it turned out he would rather grow up and take responsibility for his own mess than be made to verbally abuse his wife!

mygrannycanfly Thu 12-Apr-18 10:09:30

My dh despairs of teaching me to check his pockets before washing. He says he always does and it's part of checking the wash load before loading.

33 years of bits of tissues all over his dark socks and rugby shirts.

Poor chap.

Grammaretto Thu 12-Apr-18 10:05:42

A neighbour of mine years ago was going into hospital and thought it necessary to fill the freezer for her DH as he couldn't cook. I was appalled as she was quite unwell and that she never let him into the kitchen.
Seems we have moved on since then but maybe some of us are still guilty.
This applies to DC as well.

Kerenhappuch Thu 12-Apr-18 09:35:05

My DH has done his own washing for many years, and DS 1 & 2 started quite young.

If you're fed up of checking pockets, I'd give them to him to check just before I put them in the machine. Or simply say you're fed up of checking, so can he do his own washing from now on!

balloonlady Thu 12-Apr-18 08:50:48

Good luck with that one! We have been married nearly 49 years and I still have to do it all.

pollyperkins Thu 12-Apr-18 08:05:34

Widgeon I must disagree! DH never uses tissues (if any get into the machine they are always mine and a complete pain in the neck! ) His handkerchiefs on the other hand just go in the hot wash as they are and get dried and ironed easily -no trouble by comparison.

Overthehills Wed 11-Apr-18 22:46:13

Thankyou Peardrop, my feelings exactly. My DH does his best and I do mine and neither of us is perfect. grin

nannyof4 Wed 11-Apr-18 21:38:28

Well my hubby doesnt check hes pockets either and i have found money at the end of the wash,so he loss and my gain,lol

Grammaretto Wed 11-Apr-18 20:11:38

Oh no Kim surely we are not to keep quiet. We should all be able to talk freely from our experience whether widowed, divorced, married or single. Everyone has something to contribute.

Kim19 Wed 11-Apr-18 19:56:36

Touché Peardrop50.

Peardrop50 Wed 11-Apr-18 19:51:16

Crossed post kim19. Different opinions, the strength of Gransnet

Kim19 Wed 11-Apr-18 19:39:44

I was wondering if I could make a gentle request to all unlucky widows out there not to make themselves into a guilt trip for those of us who've been luckier but want to have a moan nonetheless. I don't think your pain will ever completely go away and that is so sad but life does go on for others and maybe we should be silently wishful without uttering the facts and publicly re-licking constantly painful wounds.

Peardrop50 Wed 11-Apr-18 19:30:01

We seem to have most things sorted after years of suggesting the best way. Whoever is free fills the dishwasher or does the washing after checking the pockets. He isn’t perfect but neither am I.
The thing I love most about Gransnet is knowing that we all live with imperfection and muddle through, it’s reassuring to find we’re all human. The other thing is all those lovely Gransnetters who have lost the love of their life and pull us up short to be grateful that we still have ours. It helps me a lot to be reminded and find that I do stop and think before moaning much more since I joined.

Cabbie21 Wed 11-Apr-18 18:21:31

Apologies to those who are widowed.

Just now feeling a tad resentful as I have been out since 8.30am doing my voluntary job, and come home to make a fairly labour intensive meal from scratch. I did the hand washing eg mixer, and loaded what I could into the dishwasher before I served up. He did not come out to the kitchen like he normally does to help dish up and take his plate so now we have finished, I have left him to do all the clearing up of the kitchen, and tonight there is a lot! Just making a point.
I would mind less if I got a thank you for my home made meal, and if he was not watching his favourite programme whilst I slave away.

Blue45Sapphire Wed 11-Apr-18 17:12:09

I lost my DH six weeks ago and I do wish he was still here for me to complain about!

homefarm Wed 11-Apr-18 17:07:45

I think we are married to the same man or clones at the very least!
I haven't found a cure I'm sorry to say.

widgeon3 Wed 11-Apr-18 14:26:38

wish he did leave tissues in his pockets..... far more hygienic than the awful snotty handkerchieves he insists upon using... and then leaving for me to process.
For a professional man, his university training must also have issued copious hints on how to play the idiot. It just takes too long to explain time and time again what needs to be done

Seakay Wed 11-Apr-18 14:26:06

how about separating the washing as a matter of course so that all his thing are in together - and only do each load once - and any mess or damage only affects him?
Similarly, let off the dishwasher when you want to but don't put anything in that he has supposedly dealt with, leave it where it is.
Really depends how long you can bear to live with the results, but I'd put the energy into helping yourself do this (buy a private stash of paper plates? practice not commenting on the state of his tissuey clothes or whatever?)

Rufus2 Wed 11-Apr-18 14:23:19

Thanks Kathsue; I think you're absolutely right
By-pass the ctrl-enter route and go straight to "post"

. I emailed GransnetHQ overnight (OZ time of course) for help. Told them I was mortified to think my stupidity would be out there in cyber-space for generations to rubbish. sad and how did I manage to do that.?
They've removed excess postings "at my request" as you can see, but didn't say how not to do it again
So it's fingers crossed. wink

BTW HumptyDumpty; Thanks for your advice, but my fingers don't get the shakes even at this time (getting on for midnight) being a night owl and you wouldn't blame it on a couple of reds would you?

No! I've learned from years of computer wrestling to always blame it for any difficulties.
Shops and businesses are doing that all the time, especially on Monday mornings for some reason. wink

grandtanteJE65 Wed 11-Apr-18 14:14:15

I do all the washing and regard it as part of the job to check pockets before putting clothes into the machine.

We don't have a washing-up machine, but I sympathise there, as many of my colleagues at school insisted on putting things in at the front of the rack, so you had to lean in over greasy plates to reach a space at the back. I always felt that any sensible adult would start at the back and work forwards, but no.

I have taught myself not to insist that things are done my way if I want DH to help and asked him not to insist they are necessarily done his way when he asks for help. If one of us does not know how to do something, we ask the other. It saves a lot of stress.

Legs55 Wed 11-Apr-18 14:03:55

My DH always did the washing up until we moved & inherited a dishwasher, that became my job, he was useless with instructions. Never could operate the washing machine but would empty it & hang washing out. He continued to wash anything which couldn't go in the dishwasher.

Cleaning the kitchen & bathroom was his job.

It's usually me who leaves tissues in pockets although I do check but occasionally one slips through. I washed my lighter one day, it still worked.grin

I did the cooking mostly & rest of housework. Gardening was shared.

I miss him although he could drive me up the wall at times, after 5 years I still miss him, now if it doesn't get done it's down to me blush. Still the upside is now I'm widowed I can do what I want when I wantsmile

David1968 Wed 11-Apr-18 13:59:30

I'm with Grandma70s. Tough love is the way forward? Just wash your own stuff? (I've heard of men who could strip down then rebuild an engine, but who claimed to be unable to operate a washing machine. Utterly ridiculous!)