Gransnet forums

AIBU

Fountain pen versus the modern day Computer.

(29 Posts)
Chewbacca Wed 11-Apr-18 09:40:48

Completely agree with you Panache. No computer generated letter can compare to the beauty of a well crafted letter, written on a good weight of paper and a fountain pen. There's something about having to sit down and physically think about what you're saying whilst you're writing; the letters, words and sentences and what it is that your saying and how to express yourself; no chance to "backspace, copy or paste". A handwritten letter has now become such a rarity that it's a thing to treasure. I rather miss the old pale blue Air Mail letters that i used to send and receive from my pen pal in Limbang, Sarawak when i was a young girl.

Panache Wed 11-Apr-18 09:37:58

I could not agree more ............though as you will understand there sometimes comes a time when the hands are not as flexible as they once were!!

Daddima Wed 11-Apr-18 09:32:09

I love my fountain pens, and still have a couple of friends I correspond with, and to me getting a ‘real’ letter is much better than email.

Panache Wed 11-Apr-18 09:17:19

As a lonely young child living deep in the countryside with no siblings or nearby friends of my age,writing became my saviour and great joy,eventually finding penpals not only in this country but abroad.
How I loved and eagerly awaited the arrival of the small red post van daily,hoping and praying he would deliver a letter, so that I could not only enjoy reading the contents but could sit at my little desk up in my bedroom,fountain pen poised ready to write back by return!
There seemed a constant flow to write about!!
I always insisted on using a fountain pen and have never taken to using anything else, and certainly no biros,always taking as much great pride in my presentation as to the contents.
Of course I am talking about life many moons ago,long before the Computer became so popular and an everyday piece of kit in most homes.
I still insisted on writing my letters by hand up until fairly recently, as I would handwrite all thank you notes etc, but with age and disability I am afraid eventually the computer has transformed my life........and my writing.
Personally I am saddened that I cannot manage a long drawn out hand written letter any longer, but nevertheless thankfully embrace a machine that helps me continue with my love of writing..... which it seems never diminishes!!
So what are your thoughts on the fountain pen versus a modern day computer?I am sure there will be some vast and varied thoughts.