Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dog poo hanging in trees.

(125 Posts)
pollyperkins Sun 15-Apr-18 16:12:03

We've just been for a lively walk in the local woods. The wood anemones and wild daffodils are flowerig and a few blubells are coming out. The sun was shining, the birds were singing ...BUT it was spoilt for me by the sight of several plastic bags of dog poo hanging in the trees. Why do people do it? It won't rot in the bag (would be better left where it was on the ground from that point of view)

LadyPenelope Mon 16-Apr-18 16:44:11

It certainly is a revolting habit. I wonder, is it the same people who put sofas in their front gardens expecting that "they" will take them away? A dog-owning friend of mine admits that if his dog poos while he is out in the country, he leaves it to decay naturally. Personally I have no objection to that.

grannyinmypocket Mon 16-Apr-18 16:45:04

Some people pick it up later, others just leave it as they can't be bothered looking for a bin, I have seen this loads of times, it's dirty, and lazy, I hope their bag melts in the sun and it falls on their heads next time they pass by

driverann Mon 16-Apr-18 16:59:40

Those that do it have the same name as those who leave their rubbish in supermarket trolleys or throw the bagged poo in our garden. Unadulterated low life.

Happysexagenarian Mon 16-Apr-18 17:20:15

Used to see that a lot when we lived in London. Sometimes the bags explode, or crows peck at them and the decaying contents drip out onto unsuspecting pedestrians below. UGGHH Utterly revolting!!

lottagelady Mon 16-Apr-18 17:27:33

It's unreal, would be far better left as at least it is bio-degradeable, though gross! I have no idea what this trend is about - last time I was able to ride on the Marlborough Downs near me, I found myself literally on a level with several nice lilac coloured shite bags hanging off a tree!

Mind you, I have even had conversations with folk in villages asking riders to clear up horse poo off the roads! My old boy would have been quite happy for me to carry a spade and a bin bag flapping about his back end, but most horses wouldn't, lol .... and how would you even do it, can't just let go of the horse to enable you to use 2 hands to shovel it up, nor maybe even get back on? Also some do not even like the church bells! If you want to live in the countryside get a grip or move back to the towns!

Jaxie Mon 16-Apr-18 18:14:42

I live by a picturesque river in Dorset. There is always dog faeces along the road outside my house. What would these doggy folk think if it was a child squatting and leaving a germy mess to be trodden into their home? They would be incandescent with rage, but they have no conscience about allowing their filthy dogs to foul. They also let their dogs off the lead and several times large dogs have come barging up to me and planted their dirty paws on my clothing. Their owners seem to find my disgusted reaction amusing, but I was badly bitten by a dog as a child and I am very uneasy around them. Last week a friend & I had to leave a " dog friendly" café in our town because the reek of two large dogs was insupportable. What must these dog owners houses smell like? Give me a cat any day. Rant over, feel better!

dorsetpennt Mon 16-Apr-18 18:46:55

We have this in our rural areas too. One particular walk we take our dogs to has a dog poo bin at the beginning of the walk . It doesn't seem to be emptied as often as it should so people pile up the bags around it. There is only the one bin none on the trail itself, so people hang their poo bags on trees or just dumped on the ground. My fellow walker and I take our dog's poo bags with us either to our homes or the nearest bin. It would appear that everyone else is too precious to do the same. When you get a dog that's one of the down sides to owning one . If you can't face it don't get a dog.

JanaNana Mon 16-Apr-18 19:37:19

Years ago there used to be a TV programme called...Train your dog the Woodhouse Way. This was Barbara Woodhouse and among the many things she showed in training a dog, was how easy it is to train your dog to toilet in its own garden.

jennymolly Mon 16-Apr-18 20:26:51

There may be a smaĺl proportion of people who hang the poo bags to pick up later but I assure you most don't. We have a dog owner in our small hamlet who leaves his dog's poo hanging on OUR hedge. I left a note next to it saying I knew who was doing it and to remove it or I would be putting it in HIS garden. Stopped him doing it ?.

jimsnan Mon 16-Apr-18 20:39:39

Some years ago, my husband was walking along a coastal promenade, bounded by a residential community with a dwarf brick wall and railings. As he approached, he saw a brightly coloured poster fixed to the railings. It featured a fairy waving a wand, hanging from which was a black poo bag. He reads everything. The notice was from the residents, explaining to dog walkers that the 'poo fairy' had sadly died. It requested that in future all poo bags should be carried to the next available bin (no matter how far that may be), rather than hanging them from the spiked railings, or throwing them onto the lawns beyond. It is unbelievable that such a notice even needs to be written.

MamaCaz Mon 16-Apr-18 21:08:48

I was appalled at the Forestry Commission's stick and flick advice. Our woods are not just for dog walkers. Lots of families use them, and children love to play in the undergrowth!

I don't buy onto the argument that it's ok to leave dog poo there because there are lots of wild animals there anyway. Most of those wild animals are vegetarian and their poo is far less of a potential health threat to humans than dog poo, and the small number of foxes that might live in that space is dwarfed by the hundreds of dogs that are walked there every day
If people have dogs, then they should be prepared to clean up after them wherever they are. No exceptions.

As for letting dogs poo on playing fields and sports fields, don't even get me started!

grannyjean09 Mon 16-Apr-18 21:13:05

A funny story for the victims of dog poo - Having had dog poo bags thrown into my garden and having poo deposited in my drive next to my car door, I enjoyed this little story told to me by a friend. A dog owner regularly allowed his dog to poo on a mans garden (lets call the victim 'John'). One day John followed the dog owner and found out where he lived. The next evening, John picked up the offending dog poo and wrapped it in newspaper. He took it to the mans house and put it on the doorstep. He then set the paper on fire, rang the doorbell, and ran away. The man opened the door, saw the flames, and of course vigorously stamped them all out. Of course all you lovely grans netters would never do such a thing

Iam64 Mon 16-Apr-18 21:14:02

I assumed the Forestry Commission's stick and flick advice was for those situations where your dog attempts to get under the brambles and the pooh can be flicked further in. No children or people walk there. I can't help feeling its more ecological to allow the pooh to disappear within a short time in those places, than be put into landfill in the biodegradable bags.

Blackcat3 Mon 16-Apr-18 21:21:44

This filthy habit of dog owners drives me mad! We live at the bottom of a bridle way and some feel it’s ok to allow their dogs to leave poo on our grass.....as well as bagging and leaving the poo! There are 2 dog poo bins in the village! I put a polite notice up last year and it made a little difference...I too have said if I see the offending dog I will return the offering! So unfair ...they walk the dog to ensure the poo is not near where they live! As a cat owner I can’t get too shirty....not all the cats use the litter tray all the time....! I hope they go to the offending dog owners flower beds!

GannyRowe Tue 17-Apr-18 01:22:02

Saggi, just a thought, why don't you tie a note in the tree, saying you DO know where they live, and the next one left WILL arrive through the letterbox! It might just be enough to stop them,

Baggs Tue 17-Apr-18 06:04:02

Dog poo bag hangers and flingers (plenty on the ground near us) give dog owners a bad name in the same way that cyclists who run red lights give cyclists a bad name.

And then there are the idiots who let their dogs run off lead in the countryside during pregnant ewe and lambing time. Such twits clearly don't understand dog evolution (they're descended from wolves, goddammit!), or else they are just nasty people.

Rufus2 Tue 17-Apr-18 06:34:12

We arrived in Australia 47 years ago and have always had a dog, sometimes 2 ,in the family all that time.
My nickname, as you might guess, is derived from one of them, a Border Collie, very obedient, loveable and did as he was told, just like his master! smile
On balance though, I think he was Boss!

Anyway! I think I feel qualified to comment.
Dogs have to be on leads when in the street here, otherwise hefty Council fines. Leash-free areas exist, but not always easily accessible, so handling two dogs and associated plastic bags requires great skill as you will all appreciate.
Judging by the number of posters, this is just as big a problem as here.
What is required for a solution is "lateral thinking" as advocated by Edward de Bono . An entrepreneurial approach!. Prove that money does grow on trees, by recycling. grin
America has a human-poo bank; they collect "donations"which are turned into capsule form just like medicines (known as "crapsules")., for humans.
Apparently the bacteria in them has a 85% immediate success rate against certain gut infections. Of course, you can't just stroll up to this bank and say you wish to make a deposit! wink You and your poo are thoroughly screened and vetted, but if approved you get paid $40.
Look at www.openbiome.org/stool-donation
for full details.
Get down to your vets and tell them to open up a similar service for dog poo.
I don't know what doggy ailments could be cured by dog crapsules, but anything to avoid the spectacle of watching Fido churning his stomach contents before depositing on your carpet, not to mention the sound effects, can only be good for both of you. shock
Before you know it, you'll have a posse of dog
poo collectors following you around during "walkies".
Problem solved. smile

Good Health and Good Luck

OldMeg Tue 17-Apr-18 07:34:43

hmm

Iam64 Tue 17-Apr-18 08:26:33

And another thing - what about the growing band of so called "professional dog walkers". Our local council does not have a limit on how many dogs any one individual can walk. Our park is often dominated by 3 professional dog walkers, each with 6 or more dogs. They open their van doors, the dogs run out, none on lead and scatter to do what dogs do at the beginning of a walk.
I don't believe anyone can safely manage 6 off lead dogs who don't live together and don't belong to the walker. I also don't see how anyone can reliably pick up after six dogs, all off lead.

muddynails Tue 17-Apr-18 09:49:17

Its not only dog poo as I found out when I found my dog rummaging around in a bag in a ditch, obviously from the smell, human poo, probably thrown out by delivery driver from the name on the bag. Also quite often find pile of human poo just inside the woods, along with whatever paper the person had to hand, this is a regular find. No excuse for poo left behind by dog owners though, although I leave some in bag outside the pub, always remember to pick it up on way home.
But what about plastic bottles along roadsides containing yellow liquid, YUK,

MagicWriter2016 Tue 17-Apr-18 18:32:30

A lack of bins and overfull bins don't help, but it is a disgusting habit. If we can't find a bin we have to take it home and bin it. Obviously, others don't think they should have to. Have heard the excuse of, picking it up on way back, but as we can see, not everyone adheres to this. Picking up your dog poo, should be as automatic as putting your seatbelt on when getting in a car. Maybe one day ...........

Luckygirl Tue 17-Apr-18 18:38:31

I cannot see the point of scooping up the poop on a woodland walk - kick it into the undergrowth and let nature take its course - or sweep it under with a stick.

Bagging it up is only appropriate on pavements, playgrounds or beaches.

Bagging it up and using a plastic bag which is then left around is nonsense.

Grandmama Tue 17-Apr-18 20:01:14

From time to time over the last few years dog poo has appeared in our front garden, always the same size and colour but we never catch the dog/owner. Maybe it's a shift worker who exercises the dog at night. It's the reason why our garden gates are going back up shortly. This morning there was a huge pile of it in the middle of the pavement further up the road. Yuk

MaudLillian Tue 01-May-18 09:01:26

This happens in our local park too. The Rangers end up removing those they can reach - people lob them up really high, so they are not intending to return for them. But here we have signs saying 'any bin will do'. The dedicated dog waste bins have been removed. Organic waste in landfill creates methane, though - so ideally this stuff should be collected for special high temperature composting - and used to create electricity for the grid ( as is done in my area with kitchen waste). If I had a dog, I think I would train him or her to use my own garden - create a special latrine for them - because, as someone rightly said above, poo rots very quickly in soil. I would not like the task of picking it up - it would turn my stomach - so I'd try to avoid having to do that by hoping to get my dog into a regular habit at home.