Gransnet forums

AIBU

House names you might have chosen, and their meanings.

(107 Posts)
Panache Mon 16-Apr-18 08:53:10

A little light entertainment on this sunny Monday morning.

I shall kick off with some of our own.......

Knotty Pines......named because we planted pine trees all around the garden plus some ceilings and walls indoors were clad in pine wood (complete with knots!!)

Cast-a-way......living on a cliff edge overlooking a busy harbour and bay we oft felt as though we were castaways far away,though sadly there never was an island!

Morningside........a cottage overlooking the same Bay and the bright morning eastern sun, which on a good day bathed the frontage in an orange glow

Elrel Fri 27-Apr-18 13:15:31

When my friend Rosemary became Mrs White they called their new house White Rose Cottage. They also planted white roses, of course!

grannyactivist Fri 20-Apr-18 17:37:48

More like Muckingham Palace at the moment Marmight, the sunshine is showing up every dust mot, but no, though there is a royal connection. wink

Elegran Fri 20-Apr-18 17:25:12

TellNo1Ok The house you mention DOES have a cryptic name. The name painted on the side of the plane that dropped the first atom bomb was Enola Gay, after the mother of the pilot. The original owner of the house either knew someone called Enola, had a particular interest in atom bombs, or was gay.

lemongrove Fri 20-Apr-18 16:47:53

grin

LouLou21 Fri 20-Apr-18 13:47:46

Have a house near us called Effem Hall. Love it, also a beach hut called Jabba the.

Griselda Fri 20-Apr-18 13:34:07

My house doesn't have a name but I have seen two that amuse me -
"Atlanta" and "Harfa".

Panache Fri 20-Apr-18 08:42:57

My thoughts too Marmight ............and much as your name suggests .......you either love it or hate it!!

Marmight Fri 20-Apr-18 08:31:45

Not Buckingham Palace GA ? grin?

grannyactivist Thu 19-Apr-18 22:47:55

My house shares a name with one that is exceedingly posh and very well known, so when I have to give my address I sometimes add the rider that it's not as posh as its namesake. It was named by the first owner (for whom the house was built) who moved to Devon from London and obviously had delusions of grandeur.

lemongrove Thu 19-Apr-18 12:06:59

When we renamed the house we just let the PO know and that was that.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 19-Apr-18 12:00:42

When we moved in here we never gave naming the house a thought, as we are quite happy with the street-name and number.

I grew up in a house that had a name in a street where technically the houses must have had numbers, but no-one was certain what they were!

I thought it was only ships that should not be re-named?

Sheilasue Thu 19-Apr-18 10:22:48

We live in a block of flats called the Chestnuts. No chestnut trees in the communal garden, but plenty in the road round the corner.
Comunial can’t spell it.

Millie8 Thu 19-Apr-18 09:26:36

How about Green Whale Tump? Its a real name. A nearby feild was called Whale Green and à tump is a rocky out crop. Bet there isn't another one around.

Panache Thu 19-Apr-18 09:10:14

Happysexgarian...........Happy to offer my penny`s worth!!

"The Cottage"
"Greystones"
The Nook

Whilst ones I particularly like... if the name is appropriate would be ...Primrose Cottage,Magnolia Cottage,Fir tree Cottage,Wisteria Cottage.................I am sure you are now catching my drift!!!!

Millie8 Thu 19-Apr-18 09:08:43

Look out! My son would say using your house name as a password would be very easy to hack for anyone who was that way inclined.

Daisyboots Thu 19-Apr-18 03:09:35

annidomini I used to live in that area and in some area houses had been built at different times so there was no numbering sequence started. Our house was called The Trundle because we had just trundled along with the building of it. We got planning permission one year., building regulations the next year and the 3rd year the old building were knocked down. Years 4 and 5 were taken up with building the house and finally moving into it.

GabriellaG Thu 19-Apr-18 02:29:28

Owrz was the name over the lintel at our first house, the second was The Limes and the last, Silverwood. The latter two were obviously in recognition of the trees planted by previous owners.

Bend1x Wed 18-Apr-18 22:17:38

We live in a regional area on the Fleurieu Peninsula and we often go past a home which has on their farm gate a sign which says "Thistle Do". Says it all really.

Kim19 Wed 18-Apr-18 20:26:30

So glad to be of service NGG! Certainly worked for me.

NoddingGanGan Wed 18-Apr-18 20:16:16

I don't like the fashion of naming houses which actually have street numbers. I have, for most of my adult life, lived in named houses because they're in the middle of nowhere. (Avid countrywoman, couldn't live in a big town or city)
Since my divorce I have had to downsize but still live in a tiny village which doesn't have numbers on any of the houses.
I do feel though that my particular house is a bit pretentious as it is called "---------House" which is overly grand for what it is, a humble, old, three bed, end of terrace cottage type property.
However, Kim19 has given me a wonderful idea for deterring cold callers, "the lady of the house speaking!" grin

lemongrove Wed 18-Apr-18 19:57:53

Happy so many nice names to choose from and yet I once read that three most popular names are
The Bungalow
The White House
Rose Cottage

Happysexagenarian Wed 18-Apr-18 18:22:26

We have been trying to think of a name for our house, a stone cottage at the end of a row of similar cottages. Nearly every house in our village has a name, so most of the popular ones have already been claimed. I like house names, many of them are amusing or puzzling, I don't think they're pretentious. However, my grandmother grew up in a very small terraced cottage in Wales called 'Ty Mackworth', she loved telling people it meant Mackworth House giving the impression it was much grander than it was! Ideas above her station perhaps, as she would say.

TellNo1Ok Wed 18-Apr-18 17:52:49

I used to pass a house called ENOLA and thought it was something cryptic and couldn't imagine what........
mentioned it to my boss one day and she just said... Oh it's ALONE .....

so there you go...

our house is quite mundane... BARN COTTAGE ...

Mogsmaw Wed 18-Apr-18 16:06:57

I wanted to call this house “ tigh na seachd“ ,all moody and Gaelic, because I thought it means ‘next to seven”. But the first bits wrong , apparently.
I live in a terrace, no 9 it’s between 7 and 11.

acanthus Wed 18-Apr-18 15:52:30

I did once see a house called "Llareggub" - I wondered if the owners were Dylan Thomas fans or if that's what they were left with after the mortgage. (You have to spell it backwards.)