Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is this trespass?

(96 Posts)
Carolebarrel Thu 19-Apr-18 19:38:58

Need to rant. I came home from work today to find that my neighbour (a real pain) has been in my back garden looking for her cat. I only knew because my bins, which I push against the gate, we're moved. I've told her not to come into my garden when I am not there, but should I tell the police or wait and see if it happens again?

beeelaine Fri 20-Apr-18 15:49:52

also... wedge your panels in. Saves them being damaged by someone trying to get them out - you need at least two people to get them back in and even if you can they will probably break.

Benji55 Fri 20-Apr-18 15:52:48

Many many years ago in a previous property we lived in, my husband and I came home to see our neighbours sitting in our garden, at our garden furniture and when asked what they were doing they said they were sat there as our garden had more sun than theirs and they knew we were out! Must admit we felt this was very cheeky, however, we pulled up a couple of chairs and had a really good afternoon with them. We would never have done something like that but some people just have no sense of what’s appropriate behaviour. I wonder if your neighbour had maybe knocked and realising you were out thought she would nip into your garden to look for her cat. Asking you if she could remove a fence panel is a bit much and you say she is a pain so like others have said a bolt on the gate should do the trick. As for calling the police I wouldn’t but I’m sure you know they probably wouldn’t come anyway. Hope you get it resolved as issues with neighbours can be very stressful.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 20-Apr-18 15:55:43

Carolebarrel
Have read your other post and asking you remove your fence is taking it too far.
I would have a chat with others in your area and inform them of your experience and what this person wants to do. But NO way take down or allow this woman to take down your fence. Make it clear to her where you draw the line. Only when you find any damage or interference is the time to call the police Ever thought of installing CCTV. They are not that expensive and you can buy cameras that record for you to play back. Worth it for peace of mind.

lemongrove Fri 20-Apr-18 16:06:52

Carol You need a bolt, or a couple of bolts on your gate( from the other side obviously)grin leave them on when you go out, to deter burglars/neighbours.
I would always check with a neighbout before going into their garden, but not everybody would.
Calling a cat’s name is more effective anyway, they usually appear.

123kitty Fri 20-Apr-18 16:07:11

Think some GNs have been rather harsh carolebarrel (yours wasn't an aibu post) you wanted our suggestions to resolve your neighbour entering your garden problem. A keypad lock on the gate will keep your neighbour out. Really don't recommend contacting the police. Good luck.

nicki1948 Fri 20-Apr-18 16:12:43

Police have more important things to do, why do you mind your neighbour going into your garden to look for her cat?

threexnanny Fri 20-Apr-18 16:32:48

I don't think this is petty at all. We had a neighbour who came into our garden when we were away 'to check' it. He was not asked to do so and he'd climbed the lock gate to get in then helped himself to our fruit and veg.!

JenniferEccles Fri 20-Apr-18 16:50:25

I don't think it's petty either, but of course the police wouldn't be interested because, as others have said, it's a civil matter.

You have every right to be annoyed at her coming into your garden uninvited, and as for asking you to take down fence panels so she can go into another garden - well that's just ridiculous.

You could try telling her you were thinking of having cctv cameras fitted. Hopefully the threat might make her mend her ways. She sounds a nightmare.

BlueBelle Fri 20-Apr-18 17:11:23

Do get this into perspective we have examples of people really invading peoples gardens sitting on their garden furniture or hanging clothes on rheir clothes line now that is really invasive, but looking for a car (unless it’s happening regularly and you believe she has another different reason), really isn’t too invasive. With a new decent lock and bolt it shouldn’t happen again and unless she is a really awful neighbour be pleasant to her maybe she’s lonely and worries a lot about her cat

HannahLoisLuke Fri 20-Apr-18 17:11:27

I do sympathise Carolebarrel, I have neighbour's cats in my garden all the time and keep a small water pistol as a deterrent. My neighbours though would never dream of coming into my garden uninvited, and I'd be most put out if they did. I do have a locked gate though but that's just for general security. The only time I've had a request to come into my garden to search for a missing cat was from my former neighbour who had moved about half a mile away and who's cat had gone walkabout. She thought it might have come back to its previous home and so of course I let her come and look around my garden, shed and garage. No luck, though I understand the cat came home in its own good time, as they nearly always do.

inishowen Fri 20-Apr-18 17:55:20

Here's a true story to lighten the mood. My adult son was living with us for a while. He looked out the window and saw a rabbit in the road. He ran out and managed to catch it. We then knocked on doors to see if we could find the owner. No-one was home but we saw a rabbit hutch in a neighbour's garden. So, my son went round and put the rabbit in the hutch. At that point the neighbour came home. My son was just emerging from their garden and explained he was putting their rabbit back. The look on their faces! They didn't know me or my son and must have thought it was a likely story.

Gaggi3 Fri 20-Apr-18 18:00:55

Interested in the tracking device mentioned which says it allows you to tell your cat to come home. Have you ever successfully told a cat to do anything?

Aepgirl Fri 20-Apr-18 18:47:25

What makes anybody think they can just go into somebody's garden without permission? If your cat is an indoor cat that's where it should be and you should make sure it doesn't escape. I'm fed up with cats digging up my garden - if I let my dog loose on other's gardens I hate to think of the reaction.

bikergran Fri 20-Apr-18 18:51:43

My garden is my garden I have paid for it the same as I have paid for my house it belongs to me its my property and no one else.

I would not like anyone coming into my garden uninvited unless! it was urgent or something.

I wouldnt dream of walking into anyone elses.

We have neighbours whos granchildrens balls come over,
I was sat quiet watching tv one evening when I caught sight of someone in my garden bending down near conservatory..I went out and it was the neighbour..he obviously thought there was no one in...I asked what he was doing and he said retrieving a ball.

I have said to them I don't mind them coming in to get the ball as was no problem, I have gc myself and realise balls travel.So long as they just come get the ball then go straight back out.

Hm999 Fri 20-Apr-18 22:08:33

I'm quite shocked by some of the lack of empathy here. I wouldn't dream of going in someone else's garden without their express permission - my kids were taught to knock on the door and ask for their ball, and if no-one was home, go back later.
If you live alone, it must be quite unnerving to come home and find someone's been round the back of your home.
In this day and age, I would have thought it advisable to have side gates locked, it's much easier to break in through a back window when you're out (unless, of course, your neighbours are sunbathing in your garden!)

Carolebarrel Fri 20-Apr-18 22:27:22

Thanks everyone (apart from those who really weren't trying to be helpful, or even pleasant). I do live alone, and the neighbours who came in are a young and rather selfish couple. I've had to put up with them allowing their visitors to park on my drive without asking me, and also parking across my drive so that I can't get in or out! Coming home to find she'd forced my gate and been in my garden was the last straw. Her cat is an indoor rag doll cat, but she leaves her doors open so hence the cat gets out! Happy days.

dorsetpennt Sat 21-Apr-18 10:06:32

She was looking for her cat, unless she did some damage or had done so in the past, what's the problem ? Glad my neighbours are more understanding .

Nannarose Sat 21-Apr-18 10:13:43

Goodness, so you have other reasons to feel both annoyed and wary. I did wonder, from your last post, if they are from another country?
I know friends (and parents of friends) have had to get their heads around our ideas about front gardens and drives. Apparently in many countries, the front part - or any unsecured part - is considered socially (and in some cases, legally) public or communal property, so walking across a garden, or parking on a 'drive' is quite acceptable.
I know that doesn't explain blocking your drive or damaging your fence, it was just a thought.

I live on a street where the layout is quite open with our drives and front gardens - and as you'd expect, we respect each other's spaces. My neighbour (not from the UK) gets rather nervous, and wanted to 'barricade' her front garden, which would be almost impossible, given the layout. She explained that where she is from, members of the public would expect to walk across her garden, look in her windows and park on her drive - if you want your front to be private, you barricade it, and she is still amazed by letter boxes (instead of mail boxes at the locked front gate).

I do hope you can resolve this amicably, it sounds like rather extreme thoughtlessness rather than anything worse. Good luck.

PS: Have absolutely no idea what an indoor rag doll cat is!

ReadyMeals Sat 21-Apr-18 10:19:56

Yes, I think the cat is not the major problem here lol

BlueBelle Sat 21-Apr-18 10:29:40

Well in fairness the story has changed she forced my gate before it sounded like a neighbour just popped in for a quick look for her cat which didn’t saound at all like a police affair . Rag dolls are hugely expensive so you d think they d take more care no wonder they were panicking
The car business does sound unpleasant however I still think the best policy is to stay as friendly as possible with neighbours
My neighbours kids ball was always coming over especially in the evenings and I had a rule with them that I d retrieve it twice but more than that they d have to leave it till the next day it seemed to work

ReadyMeals Sat 21-Apr-18 10:39:50

If they need to have the windows open for fresh air (reasonable) but have a pet that needs to stay in, then maybe they don't know you can get window grills made to measure, or even fly screens can keep a pet in.

KatyK Sat 21-Apr-18 12:56:14

Someone I know walked into her kitchen one day to see her neighbour outside cleaning her windows!

Jalima1108 Sat 21-Apr-18 14:40:08

We used to wonder why a particular bit of our back hedge never seemed to grow properly then realised that next door's son was using our back garden as a short cut on his way home from the pub - through our hedge, back garden and over the fence between us.
He moved out soon after and then they moved too - we're still friendly with them (and him) btw.

redagila Sat 21-Apr-18 17:30:48

As you appear to have a number of issues with this neighbour, have you thought of using a mediation service? You can find out about any local service from Citizens Advice & they can be really helpful if your neighbour doesn't take any notice of your comments.

Hm999 Sat 21-Apr-18 22:20:12

I have indoor cats. If you want your cats to live like this, you shut them out of the room with the open external door!