Gransnet forums

AIBU

Deliveries

(16 Posts)
Witzend Sat 28-Apr-18 12:15:08

I've recently had two deliveries from Seasalt - and I'm SO glad they use Royal Mail, and not a courier. The items have arrived very quickly and our lovely postman knows where it's safe to leave them if we're out.

Having said that, I do use 'collect' now if poss and there's a handy collection point - not always the case. Waitrose is good for anything from JL.

Charleygirl Sat 28-Apr-18 10:57:11

I now pick up at a small PO about 2 miles away. Today I am expecting 3 parcels from Amazon- I know that Royal Mail will deliver so I will wait until I see the three ID numbers on line and pick up today if convenient if not tomorrow.

I find this much better than waiting indoors sometimes all day.

Charleygirl Sat 28-Apr-18 10:54:06

I have said in the past to these delivery drivers who give us 10 seconds to get to the door that I am not sitting behind the door knitting, waiting for my parcel.

Luckygirl Sat 28-Apr-18 10:47:07

I can fully see that they do not want to hang about- and I have every sympathy over their working conditions. But it makes no sense to ring the bell, wait 30 seconds and then just walk off with the parcel. There was no feasible means for any human being (young or old) to have got to the door any quicker than I did.

notnecessarilywiser Sat 28-Apr-18 07:42:03

Like paddyann I was recently notified that I was number 100++ on my driver's route. It highlighted the workload that these people are coping with, for very low pay. I can't change the system that they work within but I have modified my driving habits to let the professional drivers out from sideroads, etc in an attempt to ease their day a tiny bit.

Bluegal Sat 28-Apr-18 00:25:02

As said delivery drivers very pressurised and the amount they get per delivery is ridiculous less than 50p I believe! Am not surprised they don’t hang about! Shocking treatment.

Jalima1108 Fri 27-Apr-18 20:02:26

They are very pressurised but that was ridiculous Lg

Luckygirl Fri 27-Apr-18 19:59:37

This guy was walking away WITH the parcel!

Jalima1108 Fri 27-Apr-18 19:50:48

We have a delivery driver who parks outside our house regularly and then starts re-arranging all his parcels - taking them out of the van, spreading them on the road then re-packing them.

The first time I got quite excited, thinking there was a parcel for me, but alas, no, we just seem to be a convenient 'hub'.

mimiro Fri 27-Apr-18 19:06:02

delivery drivers have to move x amount of packages in x amount of time.usually 8am-8pm
waiting for someone to answer the door is a waste of time.
they only do it when a signature is required.
amazon has millions of vendors from all over the world.
and as said before special delivery options like same or next day delivery effect it as well.
size of package can be a factor as well.
fedex for example has one type of delivery for small packages,another for large and another for really large.i have had all three deliver in one day.
a necklace.a50lb bag of dog food,and a piece of furniture
all on different trucks of different sizes

Luckygirl Fri 27-Apr-18 18:44:27

My gripe is that the delivery drivers do not wait till you get to the front door. We had a delivery today at lunchtime. I got straight up from the table when the doorbell rang, walked to the door and the driver was heading off back to his van! It was obvious we were likely to be in as the car was there.

If I had let him escape there would have been a right palaver getting a repeat delivery.

Grrr!

ninathenana Thu 26-Apr-18 18:46:49

I realised shortly after I posted that they probably came from different hubs as you say harri

smile I 'll get back in my box now blush

paddyann Thu 26-Apr-18 17:05:21

I got notification of a delivery today ,I was 114 on the list.Must be a nightmare for the driver.My expected delivery is now number 20 on the list.Its been a long day for somebody .

Situpstraight Thu 26-Apr-18 14:39:28

Can’t always do that nowadays with the various delivery options, one package might have been a timed delivery, one might have arrived during the night and put on a vehicle that also left early and one might have been picked up that morning and because the vehicle was already heading vaguely in that direction or nearby it was put on because there was time for the driver to do it.
The possibilities are endless, it’s a Complicated business nowadays and I feel sorry for the drivers struggling to get all the packages delivered in a day.

harrigran Thu 26-Apr-18 13:49:13

It depends on which are the parcel is coming from. I had two parcels delivered an hour apart by same delivery company and both from Amazon but the products came from hubs in different parts of the country.

ninathenana Thu 26-Apr-18 13:37:42

AIBU to expect DHL to organise their deliveries so that mine and my neighbours parcels are on the same van ?
Mine arrived very prompt and I have no complaints. Ten minutes later I took in a parcel bearing DHL stickers for my neighbour from a different driver/van confused