Gransnet forums

AIBU

Aibu ... To hide my diagnosis and almost feel ashamed

(69 Posts)
Grannycuddles Sun 13-May-18 23:40:35

After reading an earlier post about how a lady gets abuse off people (generally older generation) over her mobility scooter... It made me think...
My situation... I've, fairly recently , been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. It all started 12yrs ago, gradually getting worse until about 4yrs ago... Not even 40 at this point, I had a bit if a cry as I was moving like I'd expect to move when I was hitting 90 (no offence intended to spritely 90+ folk) and had alot of aches and pain.. so went to the doctors who referred me to a rheumatologist..long story cut shortish after LOTS of tests scans xrays ect I've got a "diagnosis " at 1st I was, phew... I'm not going mad, it's all real. But, apart from immediate family, I'm trying to keep it quiet as I do feel that people think its a made up illness, not really a "real" disability ect. Been a month now and my emotions are very irratic and I don't know how to feel... I know It's very real.. And don't mean to upset anyone else with fibromyalgia but I do feel if people know they'll just think its all in my head or something. 1st post ever so please be gentle with me ❤

notanan2 Tue 15-May-18 18:38:59

I have been diagnosed with it in the past, yes. Not currently no.

In my case it was triggered by a combination between childbirth and an undiagnosed illness at the same time. Took about 3 years to build back up to "normal" & a full recovery.

notanan2 Tue 15-May-18 18:42:16

& I never said that anything about it was "easy" GrammaH

Just explaining why a fibromyalgia diagnosis is a double edged sword.

& that not all diagnosises are a diagnosis of a set disease, some, like this, are umbrella terms for a set of symptoms after other known causes are ruled out. I believe it is called a "differential diagnosis". As opposed for a set thing that you can test for.

Chinesecrested Tue 15-May-18 19:04:11

I've got a polymyalgia, which is excruciatingly painful, and debilitating. Luckily, though, it's responsive to medication. The pain level goes down from being literally unable to get out of bed in the morning (it takes 15 mins to sit up and another 15 to stand) to just being creamy in the mornings and evenings. It's controllable but I don't know that it ever goes away. I'd rather have that than fibromyalgia though, which sounds horrendous

Chinesecrested Tue 15-May-18 19:09:21

Creaky not creamy! angry

notanan2 Tue 15-May-18 19:29:39

Ironically Chinesecrested I did feel "creamy" at times with fibro: as if I was so weak/tired that my muscles were made of cream/jelly

Shelagh6 Tue 15-May-18 19:55:44

No, I sympathise with you in a big way - I know it’s very real - I know a lot of people with this. Be kind to yourself and take care, do what the doctor says; they understand this condition very well and I wish you the very best.x

Baggs Tue 15-May-18 21:32:51

GrammaH, a GP I knew a bit back told me that there was an injection you can have for the pain of costochondritis if it got really bad. I had it for years. It has subsided but never gone away completely, which I think it can.

Anyway, maybe you should ask your GP about the injection.

NanKate Tue 15-May-18 21:36:55

I have every sympathy Grannycuddles do tell people about your illness, it is nothing to keep quiet about. I know someone recommended some magnetic pads to put on your back etc from Boots. I got them for my Polymyalgia and they helped. Do ask in the shop about them.

Chinesecrested join the club. The good news for us is that PMR usually burns itself out after a couple of years, however some people have it longer and others for a shorter time. I stop taking steroids this week after two years. I can remember saying to my DH ‘even my fingers ache’.

Grannycuddles Wed 16-May-18 01:07:42

Thank you everyone for your comments and support, and understanding. you've all made me feel a bit more comfortable with this xxx

Tweedle24 Wed 16-May-18 08:43:54

Having posted yesterday about my daughter’s fibromyalgia, just an update. She went for an assessment for benefits a few weeks ago. Last year, the assessor seemed to understand the problem as she had a family member with the condition. Very different this year! She got the results of the assessment yesterday and was given no points at all although her condition has worsened since last time. Apparently, she has no problems because she can “use a mobile phone and put her glasses and coat on”. The assessor said in her report that she travelled alone to the assessment (her partner took her), that she could bathe herself (her daughter or partner helps) and that she looked “well kept”.
She will appeal but could do without the stress.

Squiffy Wed 16-May-18 10:28:42

Tweedle I'm so sorry to hear about your DD's experience. All too common, I'm afraid. I went through the same and appealed. I failed the appeal and so went to Tribunal. I was terrified!! The Tribunal doctor and judge were so understanding that I was amazed. I was granted ESA and it only took them about ten minutes after the assessment to make their decision, so I was informed on the spot.

The stress is awful and is the last thing you need when you're unwell. Unfortunately, the system doesn't cope well with fluctuating conditions. Make sure that your DD emphasises on all forms etc how she is on her worst days.

Grannycuddles Wed 16-May-18 10:47:34

I'm wondering whether to even try for it, I've got the forms and the proof from the he docs but not sure it's worth the stress. tweedle that's terrible about your daughter . And she sounds like she's worse than me, why do we need to be at deaths door 24/7 to get any help... It seems so unfair xx love to you all xx

Grannycuddles Wed 16-May-18 10:48:25

squiffy well done for your perseverance xxxxx

Squiffy Wed 16-May-18 11:03:09

Thank you Grannycuddles, but I have to confess that, when the ESA period expired after two years, I didn't have the bottle to go through it all again and ended up using my savings for the two years until my pension kicked in. I hated 'giving in', but I just didn't have the strength to go through it all again. I know I was lucky to have savings to do that, but in many ways I regret it - not only have my savings plunged, but it feels as though the system won! It shouldn't have to be like that angry

Tweedle24 Wed 16-May-18 11:32:27

Squiffy. Thank you, when she rang after she received the letter and said the person answering was very sympathetic and helpful. He warned her that 90% of appeals fail at the first hurdle so to be prepared to have to go to tribunal. She now has to register at the job centre before she can get a sick certificate but, she says, she can hardly truthfully say she is available for work when she has hospital visits at least once a week, sometimes more.
I cannot get my head around the fact that she has evidence from several professionals including the neurologist and GP but that is ignored by someone with a tick list!
She worked full-time for over 25 years before she had to give up because of her illness so is hardly a scrounger.

jacig Wed 16-May-18 11:54:46

I have fibro, and it is hard to explain to people who don't know. I was told to goggle " the Spoon Theory" it is a visual way to help in understanding. Hope this helps

LynneB59 Wed 16-May-18 21:53:22

My eldest son has constant aches and pains, depression, feelings of exhaustion. He has been like this for 10 years or more. He had x-rays, blood tests, scans, etc., which all came back normal. Finally, after various illnesses were ruled out, he's been told he's probably got Fibromyalgia. He is on antidepressants (the 4th type he's tried, which seem to suit him now), and strong prescription-only painkillers.

My son has to work full-time (10 hours a day, over 4 days, plus 90 mins each way on buses)so that he can pay for his children(he doesn't live with them), his rent, bills, etc.

I think some people dismiss Fibromyalgia as being "in the mind", but the physical pain is real. It can be very debilitating, and a couple of years ago, he was so bad with it, he had 3 months off sick from work (his employers are a huge company and they look after their staff very well), but he can't keep doing that.

When my son sees his children (6yrs and 3yrs) at weekends, he chases them around, swings them about, does all the rough and tumble stuff.... and then he's in lots of pain for days afterwards.

Grannycuddles Thu 17-May-18 15:16:41

jacig the spoon theory is good, I tried it out today.. But can't work out how many spoons I am using... I do know that I've had a busy day and have used some of tomorrow's spoons too though ? and I have to go to work in the morning ?. It's hard pacing yourself when you've got a growing family and alot to do ?lynneB59 sounds rough for your son, at least my girls are all getting older and more capable now. And are very good at helping with the housework that really sets me back. Hope these antidepressants keep working for him. Xxx