Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to like seeing washing out on the line?

(135 Posts)
mostlyharmless Tue 12-Jun-18 17:41:21

In Colyton Devon, a pretty, touristy town, an anonymous letter was sent to a mum who puts washing out on a line.

The anonymous letter was written "on behalf of local business" and asked Ms Mountjoy "with kindness" not to put washing out at the front of her terraced house, which is in "a prime location"

Other residents and local businesses have showed their support for washing lines by draping underwear on shop fronts, the flagpole and in front of houses.

What’s wrong with washing lines? I know some housing estates ban it, but I like seeing washing out on the line and not just my own family washing.

merlotgran Tue 12-Jun-18 21:10:47

Is he there all the time, Beau? Does he not go to work?

I'd get a whirligig and stick two fingers it up when he's out.

grannysyb Tue 12-Jun-18 21:24:44

My DM was German and never hung washing out on a Sunday. Her sister lived in a modern development and had a cellar for the washing machine, she wasn't allowed to hang washing out; it all had to be dried indoors. I still don't like to hang washing out on a Sunday!

grannyactivist Tue 12-Jun-18 21:26:03

When I lived in Germany it was forbidden to hang washing out on a Sunday and where I lived it was almost a hanging offense to make any noise that could be heard outdoors between lunchtime and about three o'clock.

gillybob Tue 12-Jun-18 21:40:44

These Eco warriors can’t have it all ways . If it’s fine outside (and you have outside space) then dry it outside. End of.

Smileless2012 Tue 12-Jun-18 22:05:46

I prefer to dry my washing outside. My gran used to say that it should never be hung out on a Sunday. Did any of your gran's ever say the same thing?

gillybob Tue 12-Jun-18 22:11:50

My (very religious, good Catholic) Grandma used to say it to me Smileless but I ignored her. As a single parent, working mother what else was I supposed to do?

Nannykay Tue 12-Jun-18 22:28:22

My nan would always frown at doing laundry on a Sunday and I try not to do any that day, I wash six days a week, I take Sunday off .

Yes I love to see washing out on a line, there’s something about seeing it blowing in the wind, and it smells so fresh. I can’t manage it on my own any more, my poor husband carry’s the baskets out, and buts the line up for me, then I peg it out. It’s a faff, but worth it.

M0nica Tue 12-Jun-18 22:28:34

We once didn't buy a house because there was a covenant on it, stating that washing was not to be hung outside at weekends. It was a new house on an estate, so it applied to every house.

Beau Tue 12-Jun-18 23:08:22

He works - he's actually a doctor, merlotgran - I don't understand his aversion to washing lines but I think it's the whirligigs he's against particularly - one of those would be my ideal ?

lemongrove Tue 12-Jun-18 23:15:43

Tbh it does look a mess hanging from a window.
If washing is hung like this all the time, you can’t blame neighbours for not liking it.

suzied Wed 13-Jun-18 06:09:19

I wouldn’t like my neighbours smalls draped across my front door if I’m honest. I live on a small development with communal gardens at the front - we can’t leave bins outside the front door, estate agents boards are banned and everyone has to get the outside painted every 3 years. Fortunately we have got a back garden so can hang washing there.

Nanah67 Wed 13-Jun-18 06:36:21

I have a 15 ft double line at the side of my house....weather permitting it’s nearly always full. The dryer only gets used in the winter. There is nothing like watching clothes and bed linen fluttering in the breeze. I wash everyday of the week.

Billybob4491 Wed 13-Jun-18 07:08:11

I use my washing line most days but never on a Sunday.

NanKate Wed 13-Jun-18 07:08:12

I have never had a washing line. I have a lovely purple rack/clothes horse that I put in the garden room and it dries our clothes beautifully. I prefer towels dried in the tumble drier as it stops them going hard.

silverlining48 Wed 13-Jun-18 07:28:10

Always Hang the washing out in the garden, preferring a long line over a whirlybird because the washing gets more exposure to the sun. I even put some out yesterday, a grey cloudy chilly day, not expecting it to dry completely, but it did.
When I had a tumble drier decades ago when the children were small and nappies needed to be washed and dried I used it when I had to but since then, over 40 years, manage with a drier indoors in winter and the long line all other times.
Laundry is the only thing I really enjoy and I often offer to hang friends washing out And get it in. They think I am mad.

silverlining48 Wed 13-Jun-18 07:52:51

When in the 60’s i first heard about the Sunday thing in Germany I coukdnt believe it, no car washing, no lawn cutting, no diy, no clothes hung out, no loud music, what did they do all day? Though it makes for a quiet and relaxing day. They still keep to Sunday’s as we used to years ago, no shops open to this day, as is the case in most of Europe I would think. Certainly in France. Families would go out for a walk dressed in their Sunday best ( remember that?) and have ice cream or coffee and cake. They may well still do this. Probably not as much....
I do my washing on a Sunday but avoid shopping if I can because I feel staff should be able to be at home with family instead of having to be at work especially As many large supermarkets are open 24 hours a day. We managed before with Sunday closing, plus a half day closing midweek, but that is all long gone. I am not religious but Sunday is now exactly the same as any other day, apart from the roastie of course.

Smileless2012 Wed 13-Jun-18 09:27:08

Aaah that explains it then gilly my GM was a very religious good Catholic as wellsmile.

jusnoneed Wed 13-Jun-18 09:29:37

That does look an odd way to hand washing out, can understand those that don't like that to some extent. But on a proper line no problem.
I have a long line and a whirly, my laundry goes out winter and summer.

I help out a lady who lives in local HA bungalow (originally OAP estate, now over 50s) and new tenants have just been told they are not allowed to put up washing lines of any sort. Also that they are not allowed to plant flowers etc. All to make it easier for mowing machines. So the people in her row will be looking at the back wall of concrete garages from their sitting room rather than some nice shrubs/climbers like she does and have to dry laundry indoors (tiny bungalow/flat) somehow.

shysal Wed 13-Jun-18 09:44:37

I use a retractable line which I zig-zag from fence to fence of my narrow garden, but I always put it away after use. Something I don't like to see is a line which always has the empty pegs left along it.

gillybob Wed 13-Jun-18 09:56:05

I have a retractable one Beau its ideal. I just pull it across when I need it and it feeds back in when I don't.

pollyperkins Wed 13-Jun-18 10:31:38

I use a tumble drier sometimes but always feel guilty about the environment, the cost etc. In winter I dry things in the house but it seems to be there all week with various loads etc. I hang it out in the summer when it dries in a fraction of the time and smells lovely and fresh. I like to see washing blowing in the breeze -but maybe not other people's underwear in the FRONT garden!!!

Jalima1108 Wed 13-Jun-18 13:40:30

Something I don't like to see is a line which always has the empty pegs left along it.
Me neither shysal
I made myself a very simple replacement peg bag not long ago and there are lots of bags, boxes available for pegs.

NfkDumpling Wed 13-Jun-18 13:44:53

I believe that some developments in California ban drying clothes outside as it’s too unsightly. All that sun going to waste.

Jalima1108 Wed 13-Jun-18 13:47:40

All bad for the environment too.

I do use the tumble dryer when needs must but using all that electricity when there is no need is not good for the future of the planet.

Eloethan Wed 13-Jun-18 20:28:22

From what I read, the young woman who hangs her washing in the front garden does so because she doesn't have a back garden, nor, presumably, a yard. It's very cowardly to write anonymously and presumptuous to imply that it was a problem for not just the letter writer but for others too.

I must admit I think it would look rather untidy if everyone hung their washing out in the front but, as a general rule, I don't think it's reasonable to tell other people what they can and can't do in their own homes and gardens/yards.

This topic makes me think of the scene in Get Carter where a car is driven at speed through the back streets of - was it Newcastle? - pulling down all the lines of washing.