Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to like seeing washing out on the line?

(135 Posts)
mostlyharmless Tue 12-Jun-18 17:41:21

In Colyton Devon, a pretty, touristy town, an anonymous letter was sent to a mum who puts washing out on a line.

The anonymous letter was written "on behalf of local business" and asked Ms Mountjoy "with kindness" not to put washing out at the front of her terraced house, which is in "a prime location"

Other residents and local businesses have showed their support for washing lines by draping underwear on shop fronts, the flagpole and in front of houses.

What’s wrong with washing lines? I know some housing estates ban it, but I like seeing washing out on the line and not just my own family washing.

Maggiemaybe Fri 15-Jun-18 10:12:14

The photo’s not of her washing line, Lilyflower, that’s what one of her supporters has rigged up.

It’d be interesting to see the fallout if one of the residents of Naples was told to take down their (much photographed) washing lines. grin The Godfather Part IV anyone?

Witzend Fri 15-Jun-18 12:07:28

My sister who lives in the US, tells me that hanging washing out where she lives is a sign of either poverty (can't afford a drier) or madness! Everything is tumble dried.

Though to be quite fair, where she lives they have very long, cold winters, where washing would freeze anyway, and summers tend to be really humid (much more so than what we laughingly call 'humid' in the U.K.) so things would take ages to dry.

Stansgran Fri 15-Jun-18 12:54:02

There was a story about Hockney's Yorkshire mum. I think he took her to his home in California every year. She was quoted as saying of the beautiful view and weather-" and not a single line of washing out."

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 15-Jun-18 17:06:53

I try to hang my washing out during the better weather but not at the front. I believe that in some towns there are by-laws which prevent this. However, it seems a bit mean to actually write to someone to ask them not to do so.

alreadytaken Fri 15-Jun-18 20:16:49

I think the point here is that most of the people in Colyton are NOT snobs, just one person is. The rest are to be commended for their solidarity.

Drying washing outside takes less energy, it should be encouraged.

MeMyself Fri 15-Jun-18 21:59:21

I'm so glad the community have rallied around this poor person whose only 'crime' is a bit of al-fresco drying of ones smalls!

Cherry, your 'never on a Sunday' comment reminds me that there's a covenant in the deeds of our house, which states that we can't hang out washing on the weekends! I'd be scuppered if I got called out on it as I don't have a tumble drier and only 3 radiators in the whole place! smile

MawBroon Fri 15-Jun-18 22:09:20

I thought some of you might like this

Purpledaffodil Sat 16-Jun-18 06:28:02

Love it Maw. Sending to DD who loves her line dried sheets!

DanniRae Sat 16-Jun-18 08:40:14

Very funny Maw - and very clever because its totally true! grin