Gransnet forums

AIBU

THAT acronym

(103 Posts)
MawBroon Tue 19-Jun-18 12:01:43

Yes, that one, you wouldn't dream of using (would you?)

The one I am talking about suggests we spend our days cackling like hyenas at the slightest thing.
Now I am the first to admit there may not be a "lorra lorra laughs" out there, but laugh out loud? Really?

(I cringe at C U L8ter too just to show I am not entirely biased)

LOL?
NBL
(Not ** likely!

Bathsheba Tue 19-Jun-18 22:41:57

What I don't get is when people - usually a fair bit younger than me but isn't everybody? - say OMG. I mean they actually say "Oh Em Gee". And "I heart (this/that/whatever)". So OMG is a text abbreviation that is used verbally, and the word 'heart' is used verbally in place of 'love', simply because the heart symbol is used to represents it confused

Bathsheba Tue 19-Jun-18 22:42:31

represent. Without the s.

phoenix Tue 19-Jun-18 22:55:44

MawBroon many moons ago, when there used to be a forum called "Bad Mothers Club" I posted a complaint about the rather slack/inappropriate use of LOL, along the lines of saying that if people really did "lol" at some of the things that they posted with that attached, then there must be a village missing an idiot somewhere.

PECS Tue 19-Jun-18 23:03:15

Is LOL better /worse than PMSL?

Scribbles Tue 19-Jun-18 23:04:26

Travelsafar, that's correct.

Chewbacca Tue 19-Jun-18 23:07:01

What's PMSL? I'm lagging behind here

phoenix Tue 19-Jun-18 23:09:36

Pissed myself laughing, Chewbacca, as opposed to ROTFLMAO

Chewbacca Tue 19-Jun-18 23:21:25

Thanks Phoenix. From that explanation, I think I get the gist of ROTFLMAO!?

SparklyGrandma Wed 20-Jun-18 00:39:23

I was going to mention PMSL, my son taught me that one when he used to spend time in chat rooms. I don’t use abbreviations in texts but I like LOL rather than PMSL or the rude PMSFL...

SORRY!

BlueBelle Wed 20-Jun-18 06:01:30

What the umph is FHB ? ....Fish Have Boobs
Flash Harry’s Brother Who was Flash Harry ? Was he related to Gordon Bennett ?
Flash his bits
Finish her breakfast

Nana3 Wed 20-Jun-18 07:25:55

FHB (family hold back) was always used when I was growing up if unexpected visitors came which was rare. People didn't expect to be offered food only a cup of tea and maybe a biscuit, money was always tight, barely enough to last till the next pay packet. It was the same for everyone in the neighbourhood.

sodapop Wed 20-Jun-18 07:59:20

Yes it was Family hold back for me as well.

I dislike the use of acronyms and I think using them contributes to some new posters thinking Gransnet is cliquey.

BlueBelle Wed 20-Jun-18 08:16:59

Sodapop I so agree I think it’s a cross between the Freemasons handshakes and shorthand

What does Family hold back mean ? Can someone give me an example I can’t see where it fits in, hold back from what and why ?

Menopaws Wed 20-Jun-18 09:51:42

IJFIAVC

Menopaws Wed 20-Jun-18 09:52:44

IJOTMACOT

Kim19 Wed 20-Jun-18 09:59:30

I sometimes spend a few seconds trying to decipher them and then I move on. Not worth writing out in full? Not worth reading methinks.

NotSpaghetti Wed 20-Jun-18 10:04:49

I’m not a fan of acronyms either. I have, however, used LOL, which sneaked up on me over many years.
I suppose I justify it as a legitimate shorthand. I tend to only use it in texts with immediate family. And I do, genuinely, often laugh out loud when I find things funny, even when I’m on my own.

What I don’t like, and can’t get used to are the abbreviations and acronyms used on Gransnet. I know I’m probably alone in this but I do find all the DGSs etc really very difficult and almost always have to “work them out”.
I’m sure others find them to be an easy shorthand.

maryhoffman37 Wed 20-Jun-18 10:30:33

"Bluebelle", Family Hold Back means, if you are entertaining and there's a fear there won't be enough food to go round, the family members take modest portions or don't have second helpings etc.

Jane10 Wed 20-Jun-18 10:30:38

Remember all the acronyms service personnel used to put on the back of letters?
SWALK for the more innocent up to the ominous- GUTS!

Hoping this finds you as it leaves me in the pink!

( I do like WW2 diaries)

gerry86 Wed 20-Jun-18 10:36:02

It took me ages to work out what some of the acronyms on here meant then I realised there was a key to them. Please don't LOL at me.

Travelinsil2018 Wed 20-Jun-18 10:38:16

Can anyone tell me what Paw means, I often see it in GN posts?

Maggiemaybe Wed 20-Jun-18 10:52:46

Apologies to anyone living in NORWICH.... grin

MawBroon Wed 20-Jun-18 10:55:33

Paw (the clue is in the bold) was my darling DH whom I lost last November.
MawBroon and Paw , get it?

Camelotclub Wed 20-Jun-18 10:59:50

I used to think it meant 'Lots of Love'

MawBroon Wed 20-Jun-18 11:47:42

AIBU to say it upsets me to explain that Paw is/was a person and not an acronym , why on earth would it be?
Acronyms are usually upper case,, usernames bold.
That is one reason we have typing conventions.