Gransnet forums

AIBU

THAT acronym

(103 Posts)
MawBroon Tue 19-Jun-18 12:01:43

Yes, that one, you wouldn't dream of using (would you?)

The one I am talking about suggests we spend our days cackling like hyenas at the slightest thing.
Now I am the first to admit there may not be a "lorra lorra laughs" out there, but laugh out loud? Really?

(I cringe at C U L8ter too just to show I am not entirely biased)

LOL?
NBL
(Not ** likely!

seasider Thu 21-Jun-18 07:19:43

My dad was English but bought the Scottish Sunday Post so I was familiar with the Broons, Oor Wullie and I think there was another cartoon called Nero and Zero. They kept me amused on Sunday afternoons which were very quiet in those days !

holdingontometeeth Thu 21-Jun-18 09:22:08

An innocent question from a relative newcomer to the site MawBroom.

sodapop Thu 21-Jun-18 09:30:35

Love it BlueBelle FD all the way now ?

FarNorth Thu 21-Jun-18 09:49:07

"if you’re going to make a post about a hugely difficult daughter or son, change the ds to fs"

NFOTSL - nearly fell off the sofa laughing.

Some people put LOL at the end of something that is not remotely funny. Is it the same as the way some women smile at odd times, when speaking?

MawBroon Thu 21-Jun-18 09:54:16

As I said holdingontometeeth the clue is in the use of UPPER case for acronyms and bold for names hmm
There is a reason behind the convention.

“Who is Paw? “ fair enough.
Anyway, enough said.

pollyperkins Thu 21-Jun-18 11:18:55

I'm not scottish but my understanding is tgat tgere was a cartoon strip in a paper (or comic?) Called the Broons (Browns with a scots accent) and the parents were Maw (Ma) and Paw (Pa). Not sure wher Oor Wullie (Our Willie) came in - was he their son or a completely different cartoon? Its easy enough to google I imagine. I kind of vaguely assumed Mawbroon based her GN name on that and I thought it was obvious who Paw was when she talked about him.
My brother has old friends living in Scotland called Brown and he always refers to them as the Broons! I think you have to be a certain age to understand the reference.

NotSpaghetti Thu 21-Jun-18 11:51:15

Marianne1953 - I have to agree with you!

FarNorth Thu 21-Jun-18 12:41:10

Exactly right, pollyperkins.
Oor Wullie, a separate cartoon in the same paper - Sunday Post.

mimiro Thu 21-Jun-18 17:04:48

www.allacronyms.com/FHB

2old4hotpants Fri 22-Jun-18 00:49:50

When new to this site I posted that although I loved Gransnet, I hated the acronyms, especially the DDs and DSs. I was shot down in flames - some quite nasty replies. It took a while for me to summon up the courage to post again. It's good to see that some others are now agreeing, and that, as yet, they have not received the type of replies that I did.

BlueBelle Fri 22-Jun-18 07:17:40

2old4hotpants I ve always been anti DS s and all the other unreadably crxp but like you I felt I was frowned on and I felt out on a limb when I brought it up so I ve just plugged away making sure I didn’t ever use them it is nice to know Im no longer on my own
When I asked why everyone used darling daughter etc etc i was told in no uncertain terms because that’s how they do it on mumsnet I see no reason to copy just because
X

2old4hotpants Fri 22-Jun-18 08:53:22

Thank you BlueBelle. There are some very intelligent women on here, and yet they feel the need to follow mumsnet. People of our generation were taught good grammar at school. I do like to keep up with the times, but why let our standards drop in order to do so?

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Jun-18 09:54:29

It’s nothing to do with following MN (Mumsnet grin) though, just saving time and keeping posts succinct. I’d find it tedious typing my eldest granddaughter, my daughter-in-law etc instead of just going for DGD1, DIL. The acronyms seem pretty obvious to me. Each to their own.

Feelingmyage55 Fri 22-Jun-18 10:08:47

menopaws. Time for the answers please?
bluebelle FHB was especially for the cake and chocolate biscuits - who on earth had cake or biccies for eight people or more if another family turned up?
Another phrase used at the time/era for similar situations was “shake it across the plate” which I hope is self explanatory.

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Jun-18 11:41:03

IJFIAVC - I just feel I am very confused.

IJOTMACOT - I'm just off to make a cup of tea.

No? Okay, I'll buy my own flowers. flowersgrin

humptydumpty Fri 22-Jun-18 11:45:54

Don't think it's already been mentioned; but in conjunction with SWALK, anyone esle remeber NORWICH?!

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Jun-18 11:46:13

Oh! Attempt number 2:

IJFIAVC - I just find it all very confusing.

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Jun-18 11:48:27

I mentioned that one, humptydumpty. I assumed everyone was just too refined to acknowledge it. smile

pollyperkins Fri 22-Jun-18 12:08:22

I remember Norwich! Very naughty grin

Menopaws Sat 23-Jun-18 00:17:54

Spot on Maggiemay and yes second attempt correctflowers

BlueBelle Sat 23-Jun-18 05:13:52

Maggiemaybe and yet our generation are the first to call youngsters lazy because they use text talk Gr8 isn’t it talk about double standards
It’s doesn’t take 2 secs to write sister in law but you write SIL which could also be son in law, confusing !
See in your post I didnt even get DGDI ‘dancing girls date idiots’
I ve never heard anyone use FHB feelingmyage I think we must just be straight talking over here and say it as it is, or shake it across the plate I dread to think what I m shaking it doesn’t sound like pepper

MawBroon Sat 23-Jun-18 05:56:15

“Over here” BlueBelle ?

Maggiemaybe Sat 23-Jun-18 10:27:59

Yay! Cheers, Menopaws, and thanks for the flowers. They smell delightful.

pollyperkins Sat 23-Jun-18 11:39:47

But textspeak relly isnt new. When I was about 11 (in the 1950s) I thpugh tbis piem in my autograph book was very witty:
YY U R
YY U B
I think U YY 4 me!

Too wise you are
Too wise you be
I think you are
Too wise for me

pollyperkins Sat 23-Jun-18 11:42:52

Sorry about typos: relly not relly
Thought not though
Poem not piem
Typig is so difficult on the tiny keyboard of my phone that acronyms help a lot. And text speak.
However there is no need for the D in DH, DD etc to my mind.