Gransnet forums

AIBU

about gifts for teachers?

(54 Posts)
stella1949 Fri 29-Jun-18 13:01:09

My daughter is a "learning enhancement" teacher at an exclusive girl's school. At Christmas, and often through the year , she receives incredibly expensive "thank you" gifts ! Last Christmas the parents of a group of girls got together and gave her a basket of Chanel products which would have topped £500 in value, plus vouchers for a massage and a facial at a ritzy spa.

What with everything else she gets each year, I'd say she easily tops a couple of thousand pounds worth . She gives 100% of her effort to every girl, whether a gift is given or not, but she does appreciate the fact that she never has to buy perfume or other toiletries !

Greenfinch Fri 29-Jun-18 12:40:51

I always received little gifts when I taught but only things like soap etc.I think now too much is spent on these gifts and many end up in charity shops.Health conscious teachers certainly do not appreciate a vast number of expensive chocolates.
The things I used to appreciate most were hand made cards with little messages of thanks inside.The greatest gift a child can give is their time.

wildswan16 Fri 29-Jun-18 12:35:39

If a child makes a card, or a home-made "something" for their teacher, then that is lovely. Bought gifts are totally unnecessary and quickly turn into oneupmanship (is that a word?).

If parents want to thank a teacher for particularly helping their child then a personal "thank-you" or letter should suffice.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 29-Jun-18 12:21:38

As we're coming to the end of the school year, many children (or their parents) are buying thank-you gifts for their class teachers. We've been asked to comment on radio about this. Is it a new phenomenon? Do you think they're unnecessary? Do people feel obliged to spend too much? Do your grandchildren enjoy giving thank you gifts/making thank you cards for their teachers? Are you a teacher yourself? How do you feel about it?
Be great to hear your views? Thank you.