Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to feel a little bit hurt?

(94 Posts)
Cabbie21 Fri 29-Jun-18 13:13:48

AIBU to feel a little bit hurt that DH , who has gone to see his adult daughter for the weekend, did not even ask me what my plans were?
He usually goes during the week when I am busy with my voluntary work and other commitments, so, apart from being able to watch what I want on TV if I have time, I scarcely notice his absence. The time flies by.
Now it is the weekend and I have nothing particular on. If I had had a bit more notice, I might have arranged something, a weekend away. As it is, I am quite happy to stay at home, visiting grandchildren, relaxing, maybe going to a stately home on Sunday. I like being home alone, especially not forced to being out in the heat this weekend.

It is just the relationship aspect that hurts.

FarNorth Sun 29-Jul-18 17:01:40

That being the case, why post as you did - "I prattled on about all that I had done, the places I had visited and so on, but he still did not reciprocate."?
Naturally he's not going to talk about his visit.

Cabbie21 Sun 29-Jul-18 13:55:32

Maybe that was rude. If so, I apologise.
It is a long story. Stepdaughter has long term mental health issues. He goes to support her, but doesn’t want to re- live it all when he gets home. I understand that.

I just want to put an end to speculation. Thank you for your understanding.

Cabbie21 Sun 29-Jul-18 12:13:54

(Private.)

BlueBelle Sun 29-Jul-18 09:34:13

Poor bugger he s now not only having rampant incestuous sex, but he s got Aspergers too I hope to goodness he doesn’t read Gransnet this is really laughable

The man changed his long term arrangement of which he warned the poster 10 days before but she’s in a niggle because he didn’t ASK her what she intended doing and that’s really all there is to it

Thankfully Cabbie had a lovely weekend I hope her husband asked her all about it and she’s happy he’s home
(maybe look at why you never visit the step daughter and why he doesnt talk about her to you)

Cabbie21 Sun 29-Jul-18 09:31:06

Yes

Dolcelatte Sun 29-Jul-18 00:26:21

Are you sure he was visiting his daughter?

Cabbie21 Sat 28-Jul-18 22:54:22

Just thought I would update. Last week DH went on his usual visit to his daughter. I had already got a trip booked with my daughter and the dates happened to overlap, so no issues this time, though it was not planned that way.
When we were back home, apart from comparing notes on the weather, he told me nothing about his visit, as usual. This time without being asked, I prattled on about all that I had done, the places I had visited and so on, but he still did not reciprocate. It is just the way he is.

annep Sun 15-Jul-18 18:31:42

I need to know he loves me but please give me my own space- plenty of it! He feels the same. Seems we aren't that unusual. Good to know.

Cabbie21 Sun 08-Jul-18 11:58:03

Fair enough, Maud Lilian. To some extent we are partly the same.

MaudLillian Sun 08-Jul-18 09:48:41

I enjoy every moment my husband goes out of the house. Mostly he never tells me where he is going and I don't tell him where I am either. Sometimes we discuss our day over dinner, sometimes not. I'm rather a loner and so is he. Neither of us are emotionally dependant on the other. We made 3 lovely sons together and now have a darling granddaughter. We each have mobile phones so if anything happens while we are out, we can be contacted. Even when we both sit in the garden we are often not in the same space, lol!! I am so glad I do not have a possessive, jealous man who does not trust me and who would interrogate me on my every move. I would suffocate in any relationship that required more input from me than I currently give.

janeainsworth Sat 07-Jul-18 12:50:43

Sorry crossed posts Cabbie

janeainsworth Sat 07-Jul-18 12:50:03

Are you trying to wind Cabbie up, Maddyone?
What makes you think you're being helpful by rubbing salt into the wound by saying her DH is unkind and thoughtless??
Cabbie has already discounted your suggestion of Asperger's.

Cabbie21 Sat 07-Jul-18 12:46:26

It is just the way he is. In many ways he is very thoughtful and caring.

maddyone Sat 07-Jul-18 12:02:30

Soda pop, not diagnosed with Autism at all, I just thought the lack of interest unusual, and typical of Aspergers. Cabbie has said she has thought about that too and even read up about it, and although there are a few similarities, she thinks he’s just ‘being a man.’ Fair enough, but I still think it unkind and thoughtless to arrange to go to see his daughter without consulting her about the weekend and what she might do in his absence, and what’s more, shown no interest in Cabbie’s weekend when he returned.

Cabbie21 Sat 07-Jul-18 10:02:07

I normally chat away about my doings but decided to wait this time until he asked, except he hasn’t. Ha ha.

FarNorth Fri 06-Jul-18 19:37:57

My DH wouldn't think to ask me what I was doing, in a similar situation. He wouldn't mind me telling him about it, tho.
Have you tried telling him how your weekend was, Cabbie21? Or asking how his weekend went?

Cabbie21 Fri 06-Jul-18 12:55:07

Too right. He has not even asked since he got back.

Elrel Fri 06-Jul-18 11:27:58

He just isn’t interested in what OP does when he’s away.

Cabbie21 Mon 02-Jul-18 22:06:56

I have read up a few articles and whilst there are certain traits, and I know there is no “one size fits all” description, I do not think Aspergers is the answer.
Just “ normal man- behaviour” as Janeainsworth suggests.
None of the other weird ideas some of you have come up with, thank you.
Thanks to those who have been supportive. I had no idea this would raise so many responses.
Since his return he has neither told me anything about his trip ( as is usual) nor asked me about my weekend. We have talked quite a lot about other things though, for what it is worth.
My weekend? Pluses and minuses.
Eat what and when I want, do what I like without reference to anyone else.
Control of the remote control.
The heat did stop me doing some of what I wanted on Saturday as it was just too hot so I got a bit bored, but that would have happened anyway.
I did go to my daughter's for tea on Friday and went out for the day on Sunday.

End of my input on this one.

sodapop Mon 02-Jul-18 20:58:01

Things are getting worse, not just playing away but diagnosed with autism as well.
All because he was a bit thoughtless.

janeainsworth Mon 02-Jul-18 20:48:44

maddyone this lack of seeing a need to tell his closest relative, his wife, what he was going to be doing, sounds very, very much like the behaviour of a high functioning Aspergers.
But he did tell her what he was going to be doing.
What he didn’t do was ask what she was doing.
Not the same at all and hardly the basis for a diagnosis of Asperger’s.
Just normal man-behaviour in my experience.

maddyone Mon 02-Jul-18 18:16:46

In a way I hope I’m not right Cabbie, but if I were you, I’d read up on the internet about high functioning Aspergers, and see if you think any of his other behaviours fit, then if they do, then read up a bit on the best way to manage your relationship. There’s a lot out there on the internet, and even if he’s not Aspergers, some of the suggestions may help you with your/his communication difficulties.
Good luck

Cabbie21 Mon 02-Jul-18 10:06:30

Maddyone, I think you may be right.

maddyone Mon 02-Jul-18 09:47:53

I still think, after reading all the other responses, that this behaviour is unusual, but not unusual in high functioning Aspergers. Now I’m not a doctor, but I do know a fair bit about Aspergers, and this lack of seeing a need to tell his closest relative, his wife, what he was going to be doing, sounds very, very much like the behaviour of a high functioning Aspergers. The facts are, he didn’t see a need to consider his wife’s feelings, or what she might be doing during the time he usually spends with her. He didn’t see a need! She also says he’s quiet, and gets on with his own activities during the week. Come on ladies, if he doesn’t see a need to inform her until it’s already arranged, and has shown nil interest in what she might be doing whilst he’s away, that it not usual.

Bridgeit Sun 01-Jul-18 19:45:01

Perhaps he wants you to miss, you say when you are busy doing your own thing time flies. You say you scarcely notice his absence , so you just want him around when it suits you do you? You even say if he had told you, you would have organised to do something, perhaps a little reflection & self analysing could be in order!