Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to expect a dining table?

(54 Posts)
br0adwater Tue 03-Jul-18 07:53:50

I've hired a 'stunning apartment' for a week and there is no table to eat at or work at. The kitchen is big enough for a table and chairs so it's presumably been a conscious decision not to provide them. I've just had my breakfast cereal perched on my lap on a sofa. I plan to complain but honestly, AIBU?

kazziecookie Thu 05-Jul-18 17:11:39

When we stay in rented apartments or cottages I have always found if there is anything broken or missing the management company or owners will sort it out for you if you ask them.
As the owner of a guest house I prefer that guests speak to me if there is anything they want sorting or they are not happy about, as it is always best to keep the customers happy than get a bad review.
Luckily we have very good reviews, but if you get bad ones it can really hurt your ratings.

Bellanonna Thu 05-Jul-18 09:48:15

Really worrying about the broken smoke alarms. Not legal in a rented property, surely?
I’ve never checked for a dining table. I would just have taken it for granted.
Make a widespread fuss, brOadwater.

pollyperkins Thu 05-Jul-18 09:30:10

I would have thought a table and chairs was basic, like a bed and a loo! We eat all.our meals at the table (with very few exceptions) as do our C and GC. Even if you are eating out you need one for breakfast. (It doesnt need to be posh/formal, a kitchen table or breakfast bar would do but you need something!)
Broken oven etc is also unacceptable.
If poor reviews are not accepted by the site you can always use trip advisor.

MawBroon Thu 05-Jul-18 06:47:12

Perhaps “name and shame” broadwater?
Twitter, FaceBook too. These organisations tend to respond more promptly to social media than a polite letter or email after you are home again.

auntiejantie Thu 05-Jul-18 06:38:25

I have rented many houses and apartments over the years and a table is not on my list to check for - I would expect one! Parking and more than one bathroom are my priorities but so would a table be if I had realised there was a likelihood that there wouldn't be one! Smoke alarms are surely compulsory in a rental property! Have I missed the name of the management company on the thread, broadwater? It would be interesting to know.

br0adwater Thu 05-Jul-18 06:00:01

Thanks for all these comments. Many other problems have now emerged including a faulty cooker and 2 broken smoke alarms. I'll try harder to contact the management company when I get home. I've failed so far. When I've given them a chance to reply, I'll leave a review.

Nannan2 Wed 04-Jul-18 21:48:57

Is there a number to call and ask if they can provide one,even if only a small one??

callgirl1 Wed 04-Jul-18 21:42:47

I don`t have a table, there isn`t room for one, the only time we ate at a table was when we had the caravan, it always felt lovely and different eating at a table. At home it`s a tray on my knee, sitting n the sofa.

Grammaretto Wed 04-Jul-18 19:13:07

You are definitely not bu.
Maybe a previous tenant stole it or swapped it for bread knives.
A bedroom should have a bed. A kitchen/diner should have a table.

I recently stayed at a travelodge. It was ok so I gave them a good review. A week later I stayed there again but was very disappointed. When I tried to leave an honest review I was told it couldn't be accepted as I had already given them one!

codfather Wed 04-Jul-18 19:00:19

We have a large dining table which can be extended to sit more and we have a large garden table which will sit about 8. For Christmas dinner, we bring the garden table in and use it for seating.

I don't mind a snack sitting in a chair but anything more and I need a tray otherwise I spill most of it down me! blush

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 04-Jul-18 17:25:46

I expect a dining table and chairs as I cannot abide eating from a plate on my lap. I'm not sure that it's a generation thing as my late MIL used to get very sarky whenever I laid a table - accusing me of being posh. It's just civilised, surely?
I think I'd comment, a table should be provided if an apartment is meant to be luxurious.

Brigidsdaughter Wed 04-Jul-18 16:00:43

No you're it unreasonable. Why would you check for a table?? It's standard. I'd have a mug of tea using a side table, always eat a a table. As does our son 22.
What next? Is there a loo? A chair to sit on? A bed?
In my first flat a studio, I had a consul table which could open up, or not as rewuired

willa45 Wed 04-Jul-18 15:03:09

NO, you are not being unreasonable! My neighbor always joked that if she ended up homeless, all she would need was a ".....bed to sleep in and a table and chair to eat". smile

Doversole Wed 04-Jul-18 13:10:49

It sounds as if either the management company don't really have a handle on the condition of the apartment (broken oven, incomplete set of cutlery, and have not thought through how people would eat a meal in the place), or as if these are subtle (perhaps not so subtle) ways to reduce the wear and tear, and cleaning required, by getting guests to eat out . You should let the management know, perhaps they don't realise. If they don't respond, leaving some feedback would certainly help others.

Shazmo24 Wed 04-Jul-18 12:31:56

Before you booked presumably you checked what it did & didn't have in the apartment & yet you still chose to stay there. Sorry but yes you ABU

grannyactivist Wed 04-Jul-18 12:24:40

I like to dine at a table all year round and especially so on holiday when I have the time to enjoy lovely long leisurely meals and conversation with The Wonderful Man. If it was just for a weekend then I could cope, but no longer.

Craicon Wed 04-Jul-18 12:14:58

I have 2 dining tables plus an eating area in the kitchen but I eat 90% of my meals on my lap in the sunroom. I’ve just got used to it. smile
However, I would expect a holiday venue to have a proper table.

inishowen Wed 04-Jul-18 12:14:54

My son's ex tried to go plateless! She would hand you a sandwich or whatever on a sheet of kitchen roll.

Elrel Wed 04-Jul-18 11:06:37

The extra wine glasses and bread knives are so that you can forget the lack of table! You are intended to throw a party which includes Highland dancing over crossed breadknives!
Sloppy management and no checking of kitchen equipment by the sound of it.

humptydumpty Wed 04-Jul-18 10:43:07

mabon1 that is exactly how we eat, no room for table and chairs...

icanhandthemback Wed 04-Jul-18 10:42:54

Good luck with Booking.com. I recently booked a hotel with their promise that I would get the money back if I had to cancel. No fee if I cancelled within 3 hours. I couldn't get flights so I cancelled within 1 hour. When my credit card statement came through, the hotel had taken the payment and hadn't refunded. I rang Booking.com and I had to go directly to the hotel to get a refund, they didn't expect to do anything, it was all down to me. Very disappointing. I won't make the same mistake twice.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 04-Jul-18 10:40:09

Isn't it a matter of choice.? I have no problem eating breakfast or any meal while sitting on a sofa or in bed grin but that's me.There are many 'lets' where I live, coastal south west, who unless specify ' dining room' will only provide a table / breakfast bar in the kitchen. If you wish to be formal then check the photographs supplied with rental properties before you make a decision.

mabon1 Wed 04-Jul-18 10:36:21

Not at all.

I went to look at a ground floor flat when I thought I might downsize. Two adults and two children lived there so I asked where they ate their meals, the answer "in front of the tv on our knees" I was horrified.

Spinlady70 Wed 04-Jul-18 10:24:13

I cannot understand why, if you are only in the apartment for a week you are bothering about the lack of a table. If there are kitchen work tops use those to prepare food then put your plate on a tray, or go out and enjoy your holiday. I have stayed in several self catering properties and they have all had their eccentricities which we smile about and carry on.

maddyone Wed 04-Jul-18 10:16:12

I have looked at the pictures, and some clearly show a table and chairs, others, perhaps the smaller apartments, do not. I would have contacted the owner through Booking.com and specificly asked to be accommodated in an apartment that had a dining table. I have found contacting the owner to be very useful myself, for example, I’ve frequently asked for extra pillows as I like plenty, and they’ve always been provided. Also I’ve asked for a kettle and cups, and I’ve asked if specific items are in the apartment/room ie a washing machine (when on holiday.) At least then you can decide whether to upgrade or cancel and choose other accommodation if it doesn’t suit. Overall, based on the pictures, I don’t think you’re being unreasonable.