Gransnet forums

AIBU

Care home food

(59 Posts)
Nanabilly Wed 04-Jul-18 19:40:25

A change of water can make me have constipation . Whenever I go to Scotland I get it really bad even if only for a weekend.

sparkly1000 Wed 04-Jul-18 18:07:48

Constipation is rarely caused by diet. Main culprits are pain reliever drugs, especially opiate related and also lack of fluid intake.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

mcem Wed 04-Jul-18 17:15:22

This was my one criticism of my recent hospital stay. Food was unappetizing and very stodgy.
I'm working on cutting carbs so relied on family to bring suitable food but realise I 'm very lucky to have that option.
One very unwelcome side effect was constipation and they insisted I had to have laxatives. My point was that since I never have this problem I was sure it was due to the diet!
Home, eating as normal and absolutely fine!

Bijou I have missed your posts and it's good to see you again.
Wishing you a speedy and comfortable recovery.

Menopaws Wed 04-Jul-18 16:50:55

At my work although the budgets are very tight, the menu has two mains for lunch each day or salad or sandwiches option and a pud, full cooked breakfast plus porridge and toast as required, cold meats and cakes for tea and most of our veg is grown in our gardens, roasts on weds and Sunday and menu tasting every quarter when the menu is changed for the season.
All our cakes are made in the kitchens and all dietary needs are given. Not saying is perfect but the food is designed to maintain weight and healing and give a choice within reason.
Yes we are lucky, no not all homes are good but I see no reason why, if managed well, other homes can't feed people well.

Bridgeit Wed 04-Jul-18 16:47:08

It seems to be One of the pitfalls of mass produced food. When a relative was hospitalised & needed to be careful of diet , they were still served the same un appetising stodge, true it did consist of meat & two veg,but that was all that could be said for it. It obviously is down to cost!

grannyactivist Wed 04-Jul-18 16:39:22

Bijou is there no feedback system?
In the Care Home I visit regularly I am always delighted if I am invited to stay for a meal as the food always looks delicious. The residents have a monthly meeting and meals are always on the agenda, but the residents only ever want to send their appreciation to the chef and her team. There is always cake (or yoghurt for some reason) on offer at afternoon tea time, but the meals themselves (a choice of two plus a vegetarian meal) are very well balanced and there is fresh fruit available at all times.

wildswan16 Wed 04-Jul-18 16:14:09

It is really sad that places where diet is so important to help the healing process, they seem to have no idea. I'm sure they are working to tight budgets but a little imagination would go a long way.

It is bad enough if you are only there for a few days or a week, but if you have a couple of months of it that must be awful.

Hope your recovery goes smoothly and you can get back to some home-cooking very soon. flowers

Luckygirl Wed 04-Jul-18 16:06:50

Itv all sounds yummy!!! grin

Bijou Wed 04-Jul-18 15:22:33

I am in a care home for rehab and I am surprised at the unhealthy food being served. Very stodgy. Little fresh veg, or fruit. Lots of steamed pudding and custard, no oily fish. All the things that have been banned from school dinners. Even semolina for afters which reminded me of when I was at school in the 30’0s.
I am healthy apart from pain caused by a small fracture at the base of the spine. Have always cooked m,y own food and eaten healthy.. can’t wait to get out and have va decent meal!