Gransnet forums

AIBU

Should I leave my job over this?

(127 Posts)
SunnySusie Tue 10-Jul-18 18:22:39

I am a volunteer in a very busy church cafe open to the general public. When we work more than four hours over lunchtime we are provided with a meal and a ten minute sit down. Today I arrived at 12 very hungry after an energetic morning and popped into the kitchen to ask if they could save me a baked spud for my lunch. The head cook told me I had a cheek coming straight in to work and asking for food, so I explained I didnt expect a meal straight away, but I would need to eat at some point because I wasnt finishing until 5pm. Then the second cook told me they were busy and I wouldnt get anything until at least 2pm, so I asked if I could go over to the shop to get a sandwich. I was told the cafe was too busy. I was pretty fed up because I am not good at going without food when on my feet rushing around all the time, I run out of energy, and I am not in the first flush of youth either (65). Nor, I have to say, did I appreciate being spoken to like a skivvy, although I have to say that is fairly normal, because no distinction is made between paid and unpaid staff. Eventually about 1.30pm a baked spud was produced rather grudgingly and I got a ten minute sit down. I am debating the issue of whether to leave this job on the grounds I was really upset over this incident, and I cant quite figure out why I am giving my time to be rushed off my feet and spoken to so sharply for no real reason. Am I being childish about this? I work very hard, have tried to fit in and be flexible about my shifts in the three months I have been working there, and have never complained or asked for special treatment. However I dont want to be walked all over like a doormat, which has happened to me sometimes in the past through trying to be too accommodating, and I admit I find it hard to be firm and assertive nicely. I have another volunteering job I love and they are so nice to us, but I took this on as well so I could meet some local people (other job quite a distance away).

sodapop Tue 10-Jul-18 21:29:07

I agree with other posters in feeling you should have eaten before starting your shift
Sunnysusie but this does not excuse other staff being rude.
Perhaps you could clear the air with co-workers and start again.
Don't give up over this one incident but do look at your motivation. If its purely to help you make friends and you are not particularly interested in the Organisation then perhaps look elsewhere.

SunnySusie Tue 10-Jul-18 21:37:38

Thank you for your replies which mostly seem to lay the blame on me and have made me look at things from another point of view. I am going to sleep on it as I am working an early shift tomorrow starting 8.30am and see how I feel in the morning, then make a decision before I go to work. I might get some more replies by then to help me decide. At the moment I can see both points of view, but I am not sure I am getting anything at all out of the cafe job, whereas my other volunteering role is an absolute delight. I dont really go into these jobs expecting much, but the RVS at the local hospital support and encourage us which means we always go the extra mile willingly and happily, and working on the NHS wards is amazing. In contrast the cafe is fraught, tense and staff are often given a dressing down if we stand for three or four minutes doing nothing when there are no customers. We wash down the tables repeatedly for fear of being accused of malingering and are never allowed to talk to each other. I do question why I am doing it, particularly as I have never been in the church and no one has ever explained what the money is used for they are saving by having volunteers. The customers simply assume its a commercial cafe and we are paid.

oldbatty Tue 10-Jul-18 21:45:24

blimey, you don't need to be " told off".

Lyndylou Tue 10-Jul-18 22:02:33

I've been told off before on Gransnet about my strange attitude to volunteering, so I may not be the best person to ask but to be honest I don't think a baked spud is too much to ask for giving up 4 hours of your time. A busy cafe should be able to manage that especially if it is saving wages by using volunteers. My advice would be to drop the cafe (like a hot potato, sorry!) and keep your energy for the job you do enjoy.

MissAdventure Tue 10-Jul-18 22:17:58

I don't think I would be staying there, having read your last comments, Susie.
Sod that!

Maybelle Tue 10-Jul-18 22:42:16

Life is too shortly spend any time doing sometime that you find upsetting in this way. There are many organisations that would welcome volunteers with open arms.
If you have no personal connection to the church then I would suggest you give notice and leave.
You might wish to speak to a supervisor about your reason for going but do not feel you have to explain yourself or justify your feelings.
Local CABs often have lists of groups or organisations locally that are seeking volunteers.
Good luck, the right place is out there waiting for you.

OldMeg Tue 10-Jul-18 22:47:27

I’d quit if I were you. Despite what another poster says I think many volunteers do voluntary work to meet like minded people. You don’t need this rudeness when you simply asked that someone save you a baked potato....which presumably means you’d eat it later.

Stick with the work you enjoy, with people who have an open and friendly attitude.

annep Tue 10-Jul-18 23:07:28

Sunnysusie You didn't mention in your original post about being told off. I'm afraid I would most definitely not have taken that. Volunteers should be appreciated. I wouldn't stay there. But I would let the charity know why.

LiltingLyrics Tue 10-Jul-18 23:15:05

I have done all kinds of volunteer jobs over the years but as soon as the enjoyment goes out of it or I experience unpleasantness I’m gone. For reasons I have never been able to fathom, pettiness seems to abound in a lot of organisations which depend on volunteer labour and life’s too short to have to tolerate it. There is no shortage of volunteer opportunities. Whatever the rights and wrongs of what happened here, it has made the poster unhappy. Time to move on.

MiniMoon Tue 10-Jul-18 23:48:47

What sort of a Church is this? They don't seem to have a very Christian attitude towards the volunteers. You ought to be able to chat and have a bit of fun alongside the work. It must be a miserable sort of p!ace. Where is the joy in helping people.
I would leave and find somewhere else, where volunteers are appreciated.

OldMeg Wed 11-Jul-18 05:27:25

Not sure what a ‘Christian attitude’ is MiniMoon - my experience of ‘Christians’ leaves a lot to be desired.

Oopsadaisy53 Wed 11-Jul-18 05:31:47

You aren’t allowed to talk to each other? What church is this?

Oopsadaisy53 Wed 11-Jul-18 05:39:00

sunnysusie this Church definitely isn’t the place to go to meet people, if you can’t even speak to the others.

once you stop enjoying something, particularly a voluntary job, then it’s time to leave

cornergran Wed 11-Jul-18 05:42:46

Could you do more with the RVS susie? Setting aside the recent incident it doesn’t sound as if you enjoy working in the cafe. I’ve moved away from voluntary work that for whatever reason hasn’t felt comfortable and never regretted it. There has always been something that has suited me better and where I’ve felt I can truly contribute to an organisation I believe in. I think you answered your own question in your second post. Go with your instinct, life’s too short for miserable volunteering.

NotAGran55 Wed 11-Jul-18 05:55:50

Gosh Susie that sounds a thoroughly miserable place to work . As it’s a voluntary role I would call it a day there if I were your. Do it today !

Willow500 Wed 11-Jul-18 06:15:23

Yes not sure I would stay there in these circumstances. Having worked in a kitchen and seen the stress of meal prep especially in the heat I can perhaps understand the kitchen staff getting a bit fraught but that's no excuse for rudeness especially to a volunteer. Your subsequent post makes it sound a thoroughly unpleasant place to work and I would have been long gone by now.

BlueBelle Wed 11-Jul-18 06:24:06

Isn’t it funny how things change along the way with a second or third post from the original poster This is obviously nothing to do with the jacket potato debacle let’s face it you don’t like the place or the work and are looking for validity to leave
Well, if you re not happy there , leave, you don’t need Gransnet to back you up not everywhere suits everyone and being a volunteer gives you more ease than paid employment, as you can just walk out and look for something else

Blencathra Wed 11-Jul-18 06:31:27

Gosh SunnySusie I am really surprised by the replies that you have recieved! You are a volunteer - just leave. That is no way to treat you. Lots of places will value you, be friendly and give you a decent break. Try the National Trust - I do a 6 hour shift and get 2 breaks, an hour and a quarter in total, spent with other friendly volunteers. If they tell you off remind them that you are a volunteer - are not getting paid and don't have to be there!! Be assertive - don't put up with it!

oldbatty Wed 11-Jul-18 08:47:20

BlueBelle, you sound rude.

oldbatty Wed 11-Jul-18 08:48:37

have you never felt fragile? uncertain? reached out , in desperation to an internet forum? possibly not.

dragonfly46 Wed 11-Jul-18 09:40:16

In my opinion this is a typical 'church' scenario. The people I know who are regular church goers are the least Christian people I know. That is why I avoid it like the plague.
Life is too short to spend it doing stuff you hate if you don't have to - leave and find more pleasant things to do with your time.

wildswan16 Wed 11-Jul-18 09:41:56

I wonder if "the management" are not particularly good at this church establishment. Maybe the paid staff are treated badly and unfortunately this then rubs off onto the volunteers.

Personally, I would leave, but also explain why to whoever is in overall management charge. Life is too short to stay anywhere you are uhappy.

GabriellaG Wed 11-Jul-18 09:46:59

Why not eat before you arrive or on the way to the church cafe?
You can't, in all fairness, expect to sit and have a lunch break before starting work.
Perhaps you need to decide whether the job is worth your effort but as you've only been there 3 months, not 3 years, no wonder they got a bit shirty with you.
They make the rules.

Nezumi65 Wed 11-Jul-18 09:52:24

It sounds a nightmare & far too much stress for a voluntary role. It would be the final straw for me. Not sure why you’ve got so much grief on here. I work for money and in voluntary roles. I am prepared to put up with more rudeness and hassle on my paid roles than my voluntary ones. Leave and do something more pleasant with your time.

Squiffy Wed 11-Jul-18 10:07:09

GabriellaG You can't, in all fairness, expect to sit and have a lunch break before starting work.

The OP wasn't asking for that! She requested that a potato be saved for her to eat later.