Gransnet forums

AIBU

Should I leave my job over this?

(127 Posts)
SunnySusie Tue 10-Jul-18 18:22:39

I am a volunteer in a very busy church cafe open to the general public. When we work more than four hours over lunchtime we are provided with a meal and a ten minute sit down. Today I arrived at 12 very hungry after an energetic morning and popped into the kitchen to ask if they could save me a baked spud for my lunch. The head cook told me I had a cheek coming straight in to work and asking for food, so I explained I didnt expect a meal straight away, but I would need to eat at some point because I wasnt finishing until 5pm. Then the second cook told me they were busy and I wouldnt get anything until at least 2pm, so I asked if I could go over to the shop to get a sandwich. I was told the cafe was too busy. I was pretty fed up because I am not good at going without food when on my feet rushing around all the time, I run out of energy, and I am not in the first flush of youth either (65). Nor, I have to say, did I appreciate being spoken to like a skivvy, although I have to say that is fairly normal, because no distinction is made between paid and unpaid staff. Eventually about 1.30pm a baked spud was produced rather grudgingly and I got a ten minute sit down. I am debating the issue of whether to leave this job on the grounds I was really upset over this incident, and I cant quite figure out why I am giving my time to be rushed off my feet and spoken to so sharply for no real reason. Am I being childish about this? I work very hard, have tried to fit in and be flexible about my shifts in the three months I have been working there, and have never complained or asked for special treatment. However I dont want to be walked all over like a doormat, which has happened to me sometimes in the past through trying to be too accommodating, and I admit I find it hard to be firm and assertive nicely. I have another volunteering job I love and they are so nice to us, but I took this on as well so I could meet some local people (other job quite a distance away).

EmilyHarburn Sat 28-Jul-18 15:03:05

I agree with Trisher stay volunteering. They gave you a potato as you requested as soon as the rush was over. In future carry a cereal bar to eat on the way to the place so that you are not in need of food at an early stage.

Eloethan Sun 15-Jul-18 19:58:05

I think the church is lucky to have volunteers, especially since in this case they seem to be doing quite long hours in a not very nice environment.

Perhaps it was a little thoughtless to make requests of the kitchen staff at a very busy time in the day. However, I think the way the OP was treated and spoken to was discourteous.

I also wonder whether doing voluntary work to "meet people" is quite the motivation that is needed. However, it's fairly common knowledge that many people do voluntary work to show on their cvs that they have experience of certain types of employment, so that may not make them the best volunteers either.

Frankly, I think that anyone who does a significant amount of time volunteering is not asking too much to have a break and a snack or a meal.

oldbatty Sun 15-Jul-18 18:43:46

well yes, you are missing something, the fact that the OP is a volunteer.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sun 15-Jul-18 18:04:14

Have not read whole thread bit am I missing something??? Most cafe/retail staff doing less than 6 hours don't get a break anyway so to get a free cooked meal whatever/whenever sounds more than acceptable and I would be happy to wait.

Elrel Fri 13-Jul-18 09:38:37

I’ve begun a thread on ask a gran re volunteering

Elrel Fri 13-Jul-18 09:19:53

Bluegal - 19.37 post - Yes! Obvious I’d have thought!
Not bothering kitchen staff during service is pretty obvious too ...

moleswife Thu 12-Jul-18 14:31:56

We chose to volunteer for different reasons - I don't believe in altruism - in your case perhaps you need to receive something back other than the satisfaction of the work you do and/or the organisation you do it for. Maybe this isn't the one that gives you what you want? Would you have accepted being spoken to like that at your other place of volunteering? Offer yourself where you feel you have something to offer and will get back what you need.

oldbatty Thu 12-Jul-18 12:56:43

Just by way of a contrast, yesterday I did some voluntary which is based in a church.

I am not connected with the church. They run a cafe, in a very poor area. I was greeted with a smile and the church leader got me a coffee. I did my job and was invited to stay for lunch.Quite often the church member will bring it to me ( like table service). It is always delicious and home made. I ate my lunch and spent time having a heated and interesting conversation with somebody who uses the cafe.
After some time I thanked the cook and came home.

This seems to me for want of a better word " normal" behaviour.

fiorentina51 Thu 12-Jul-18 07:03:19

LiltingLyrics How about this thread?
www.gransnet.com/forums/work_volunteering/1248930-Volunteering

maddy629 Thu 12-Jul-18 06:07:39

Nobody should be spoken to in the way you were, volunteers are the salt of the earth. If I were you I would stick to your other job and give this lot the elbow. There are plenty of other volunteering opportunities out there.

slimgramma Thu 12-Jul-18 02:10:20

I’m afraid I’m missing something here! She asked for one baked potato to be saved for later. Not a whole meal. What seems to be wrong with that? It would have taken 30 scones to put a potato on a plate.

LiltingLyrics Wed 11-Jul-18 22:34:28

SunnySusie I'm glad to read that you have spoken to the manager and matters are being resolved calmly and reasonably. If you do decide to leave, there are many and diverse volunteer opportunities out there that will enable to you to meet people which might be more suitable to your quiet and gentle nature. I wish you good luck with that.

Maybe we could have a thread about what kinds of voluntary work people do unless someone can link to one that already exists that we might revive.

Jalima1108 Wed 11-Jul-18 22:25:25

It's a long way to travel to volunteer.

I can remember when the staff in the charity shop down the road walked out en masse ...
If a manager can't value their staff, paid or otherwise, they won't keep them.

Beloulou Wed 11-Jul-18 22:24:55

Bold fail there. Sorry ?

Beloulou Wed 11-Jul-18 22:24:18

Old batty, I thought so. She also told me that we have to put up with it. Well, this volunteer doesn’t ?. Neither should the op, if she doesn’t want to.

Beloulou Wed 11-Jul-18 22:21:46

Jalima, it’s been a long time coming. That was the final straw, I think. If it was my paid job, I’d have left long ago.

Jalima1108 Wed 11-Jul-18 22:08:57

I don't blame you Beloulou!

Jalima1108 Wed 11-Jul-18 22:06:50

I think, with volunteering, that you need to enjoy what you are doing to a certain extent; it's no use dreading going in or feeling that people are being abrupt or just downright rude.

Perhaps it was just the heat getting to them, Sunnysusie - perhaps they'd had a busy, hot lunch-time in the kitchen and that seemed like a final straw.

Blencathra Wed 11-Jul-18 21:42:23

It is a gentle kind activity - if people want volunteers they have to attract them and treat them well! They can be rude, demanding and lay down the law but they won't get volunteers who stay!

oldbatty Wed 11-Jul-18 20:01:52

Wow Beloulou, that is rude. Its a weird old world volunteering.

Times are changing and its not the gentle, kind activity it once was.

Bluegal Wed 11-Jul-18 19:41:58

Thanks sodapop....will do and am glad at least one person on here knows what I am trying to get across. Thank you x

sodapop Wed 11-Jul-18 19:39:20

Give it up Bluegal we are in a minority here.

Jaycee5 Wed 11-Jul-18 19:39:09

I'm glad you had a chance to speak to the manager and it sounds as if she sees both sides. Hopefully the next week or so will be a bit calmer and it either improves or you find something that you enjoy more.

Bluegal Wed 11-Jul-18 19:37:31

OMG...am losing the will to live with this one! Barmyoldbat... you say.....

" The poster didn't ask to eat there and then just asked for something to be kept for her to eat later, not unreasonable in my view as by the time she was allowed to eat most items on the menu would be gone"

WHAT? The items on the menu are NOT for staff to eat! The menu is NOT there for staff....Help me here guys cos I think I am going insane lol

Blencathra Wed 11-Jul-18 19:34:30

Quite a few people seem to just wade in after the first post - it doesn't seem to occur to them that things move on in over 24hours!