Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Passports not in the drawer I always keep them in. Turning the place upside down.

(133 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Sun 14-Apr-24 23:01:13

Thought I would have a quick look to see the date of expiry on them/. We use them for id as we haven’t been abroad for quite awhile. Last time was about December /January time when renewing a bond at the building society. Now I am really careful about passports and would have put them back in drawer in the same place. Also I would have been placed them back in my handbag as soon as they were seen. Have had everything out, drawers, handbags looked everywhere. I found an envelope with a receipt for mine which shows the number and date of issue. However, my dh’s envelope probably contains the two missing passports! I looked in the phone bookas I write most things down and there were old passport numbers but not the new ones. This has never happened before. Will I be able to cancel dh’s passport without the number. I remember they were issued from two different offices so I hope the issue date will be the same as on my receipt. Just asking as my head is aching and I know I am supposed to report list passports as soon as possible.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 14-Apr-24 23:03:12

Lost passports. My head is in a muddle of panic.

SueDonim Sun 14-Apr-24 23:11:05

I know that feeling of panic! A brand new pp arrived for me and immediately became lost. I later found it in between the pages of a book I’d been looking at and then put back in the bookcase. I don’t know what made me look but there it was.

You can’t do anything tonight about them so stop looking and have a night’s sleep, then start again in the morning. I’d have thought you could get a replacement without the pp number - it must happen to loads of people and it’s also linked to your driving licence, if you have one.

Hope they turn up in the morning!

OldFrill Sun 14-Apr-24 23:28:56

If you feel it's necessary it's very simple to cancel your passports online. (Don't worry about not having the passport numbers). Just Google "lost passport". I won't put a link because l think you should sleep on it. As soon as you cancel them you'll find them 🙄
Would you have scanned them recently? The one time l "lost" mine they were in the scanner as l was applying for a visa and needed a copy.

crazyH Sun 14-Apr-24 23:31:17

Sleep well. It’ll turn up in the morning.

BlueBelle Mon 15-Apr-24 00:09:56

I d be cautious about cancelling them because you are sure to find them the minute you do
You ll remember tomorrow or the next day
I hid some money in a scarf a few years ago when I went on holiday when I came back I could not remember where I d hidden it I d given up ever seeing it again, when I accidentally found it

Esmay Mon 15-Apr-24 05:53:41

Say a prayer to St Anthony .
I do and I'm not actually a Catholic .

BlueBelle Mon 15-Apr-24 05:55:01

Esmay 🤣🤣 nice bit of superstition there,my mum always relied on him too

Maggiemaybe Mon 15-Apr-24 06:18:22

Lovetopaint, please don’t cancel the passports until you’ve given yourself a few days to find them. The chances are they’re going to be somewhere in the house, and even if you lost them outside in January, a few days delay isn’t going to make a jot of difference. Have you tried all your bags/coat pockets - perhaps you used a different one to your usual on that trip to the building society? How about with your building society documents or in your car’s glove compartment? Fingers crossed they turn up today!

Curtaintwitcher Mon 15-Apr-24 06:41:20

Think back to the last time you used them. Was there a particular bag you kept your personal documents in? Most people keep these things separate from other papers.

fancythat Mon 15-Apr-24 06:49:20

If you have looked "everywhere", i would be close to reporting them as lost.
But it does cost £88.50 to replace one, so a big bill.

Have you pulled out all the drawers where they are normally kept?
To see if it has fallen back behind one of them?

fancythat Mon 15-Apr-24 06:51:03

Has your DH put them somewhere different?
If you think they are in DH's envelope.

Calendargirl Mon 15-Apr-24 07:02:40

I feel for you!

Lost our (very new) passports, thought they were in the safe, but no.

I knew I had taken them to the bank as identification for something some time before. Well, I searched absolutely everywhere they could be, then started on the places they couldn’t be.

This went on for a couple of weeks, to his credit DH didn’t grumble at me, just said ‘Well, we’ll cancel them and get new ones”.

As a last resort, I went through each room. In the kitchen, I pulled out the drawer where I keep hand towels and similar. There, right at the back were the missing passports!

Hallelujah! It all came back to me. I was about to set off to work, realised the passports were still in my handbag after taking them to the bank. Didn’t have time to put them back in the safe, so popped them in the back of that drawer meaning to put away properly later. Never gave them another thought.

As others have said, don’t cancel them yet, try and retrace your steps, hopefully you have put them away somewhere ‘safe’ like me, on a temporary basis.

Let us know how you get on.

🤞

BlueBelle Mon 15-Apr-24 07:25:08

I agree don’t rush to cancel, they are in your house somewhere I m sure
If you had left them at the building society they would have rung you It’s highly unlikely you dropped them they would make a noise landing, theyre not like a feather. You probably got distracted before putting them away the phone rang or something and you put them somewhere for safety until you could put away properly
Coat pockets handbags, drawers, behind things, there’s two of them so we can bet they re together somewhere and if you send for new ones you ll find them the next day

notnecessarilywiser Mon 15-Apr-24 08:07:12

@Lovetopaint - the last time I was in your situation I found the missing passport in the scanner part of my printer. I'd obviously had to make/send a copy for something and neglected to take the passport out afterwards.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 15-Apr-24 08:21:36

I did this recently with my book of passwords and PIN numbers, I went through each room, opened every drawer, cupboard, looked in coat pockets ( it isn’t a large book), once I had searched each room I knew it wasn’t there.
I didn’t bother with the cars.
I found it in the last room I checked ( of course) hidden between MrOops summer working shirts, in a chest of drawers in a spare bedroom. What was I thinking? After I found it I had very vague memories of doing it, but I don’t remember why I thought it was such a good idea.
I have a large filing cabinet with most paperwork in it, but important things usually go into one other place, I think I’ll stick to that place in future.
Good luck.

Pittcity Mon 15-Apr-24 08:22:05

DH is always cancelling credit cards and then finding them. Unless you need the passports urgently I'd give it time.

Iam64 Mon 15-Apr-24 08:36:52

I lost my passport four weeks after my husband died. I’d been clearing out his paperwork and after searching everywhere I decided I must have accidentally thrown it with no longer needed documents. I cancelled and ordered on line. It arrived in seven days

Last week I found my original passport. It was in the same place in the cupboard where I keep passports. I’d searched that cupboard so many times. Strange

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 15-Apr-24 08:45:00

Have you contacted the Building Society in case you left it there? They might be waiting for your phone call.

NotSpaghetti Mon 15-Apr-24 08:50:16

I usually find things that are lost exactly where I thought they ought to be Iam64...
So annoying!

Lovetopaint037 Mon 15-Apr-24 08:54:38

Thank you all so much. I will do everything you have said. Passports were only issued in 22 so nearly new. I will set about going through everything again. Will take out every drawer, look through every bag even the ones I thought I hadn’t used. I am a creature of habit and if dh had to take them for Identification anywhere as he said I would have grabbed it off him before he got through the door!!! I will look all and everywhere methodically. I have prayed to St Andrew Esmay as a friend always did this !!!! They are together I am sure. I am going to put the radio on, try to keep calm and set about everything again. Then go through everything else in the house. Thank you all so much. If I find them I will let you all know, shout hurray and have a drink of brandy.

Jaxjacky Mon 15-Apr-24 09:01:48

My daughter found her ‘missing’ passport in the boot of her car with some boots she’d collected from the Post Office where she’d used the passport as id.

Sago Mon 15-Apr-24 09:38:27

Lovetopaint037

Thank you all so much. I will do everything you have said. Passports were only issued in 22 so nearly new. I will set about going through everything again. Will take out every drawer, look through every bag even the ones I thought I hadn’t used. I am a creature of habit and if dh had to take them for Identification anywhere as he said I would have grabbed it off him before he got through the door!!! I will look all and everywhere methodically. I have prayed to St Andrew Esmay as a friend always did this !!!! They are together I am sure. I am going to put the radio on, try to keep calm and set about everything again. Then go through everything else in the house. Thank you all so much. If I find them I will let you all know, shout hurray and have a drink of brandy.

St Antony not Andrew!
Good luck.

Charleygirl5 Mon 15-Apr-24 09:39:31

I put money in an envelope in a "safe place" and naturally could not find it when I needed it. I searched all of thedrawers, zilch. I left it for a few days and when I was looking for something else I discovered the money and I had searched that drawer umpteen times.

Please do not cancel yet as it is an expensive exercise.

annodomini Mon 15-Apr-24 10:34:29

On one occasion, my passport was not in the place where it should have been nor was it anywhere else in the house. The next weekend, I was due to go to Paris with my sister, so, in a panic, I caught a train to Liverpool and threw myself on the mercy of the Passport Office. They couldn't have been more helpful and I returned home with a new passport. When I returned from Paris, I opened that drawer and there, what should I find but my original passport.