Gransnet forums

AIBU

to think this is unacceptable?

(79 Posts)
Peppermint Thu 12-Jul-18 14:46:41

Walking down the street to the shops yesterday and a young man just carelessly spat on the pavement and then carried on walking.

I was horrified that someone would do this in public, but sadly you see it all too often!

AIBU to think this is completely unacceptable??? angry

jura2 Fri 13-Jul-18 13:40:36

Just reading this makes me feel sick. It is really something that turn my stomach, especially when preceeded by a snort
yuk, yuk, yuk

justrolljanet Fri 13-Jul-18 13:58:56

When I was a school playtime assistant If I saw anyone spit on the floor I would call them over and make them pick it up, didn't go down too well but they had a choice, pick it up or have an hour detention on a Friday evening, wish I had the courage to do it now when I am out and about.

sodapop Fri 13-Jul-18 14:10:52

Men urinating by the roadside is still common practice here in France.
I do object to the bottles of urine thrown from lorries into the verge.

moxeyns Fri 13-Jul-18 14:27:35

It's a TB risk, apart from being disgusting!

Vivian123 Fri 13-Jul-18 14:27:57

It's just as disgusting when people spit out chewing gum. It gets stuck on the sole of your shoe and also makes the pavement look messy. Costs the local Council a lot of money to clean up, if they can be bothered to do so.

labazs Fri 13-Jul-18 18:43:02

vile habit yuk

varian Fri 13-Jul-18 18:53:37

I wonder how many of us grans would challenge these folk? I'm not so sure I would, but I know we should.

Magrithea Fri 13-Jul-18 19:15:16

Having lived in Asia (Hong Kong) I tend to ignore this sort of thing as it's common there. Yes, it's unhygienic but if young people (men) see footballer do it then is it a surprise?

varian Fri 13-Jul-18 19:31:31

When we lived in Hong Kong in the 1970s spitting was rife, but I am glad to say when we returned on holiday two years ago it was not so noticeable. Thank goodness.

amt101 Fri 13-Jul-18 19:51:24

It's been imported from some countries that don't seem to worry about it. Awful and happens too much where I live.

starlily106 Fri 13-Jul-18 23:35:40

Turns my stomach when men do this, dont think I have ever seen a woman spit in the street. Also, have you noticed how many men sit in their cars at traffic lights picking their noses?

kwest Fri 13-Jul-18 23:48:50

It is disgusting.

petalmoore Sat 14-Jul-18 00:19:56

There was a young man from Darjeeling
Who travelled from London to Ealing.
It said on the door
“Please don’t spit on the floor”,
So he carefully spat on the ceiling.

cc Sat 14-Jul-18 10:41:14

Absolutely repulsive, it makes me retch to see somebody do this. A middle aged Chinese lady did it in the car park at Lidl the other day. Truly disgusting.

Rufus2 Sun 15-Jul-18 08:30:15

Come, come Ladies! You're forgetting that Gentlemen are present! At least one, anyway. grin
Cheers

pearl79 Sun 15-Jul-18 20:32:07

agreed, it's foul - that and the pre-spit throat-clear. hchrhchrhchr. yech!!
but i think it's maybe a cultural thing, so needs to be properly addressed, probably with a reintroduction of the public health warnings and fines many of us can remember from the buses of our childhood.
incidentally it is somewhat harmful to swallow what is essentially a waste product which the body has worked hard to separate and eliminate ~ which is the primary reason it should NOT be spat into a public place. humans should "catch their germs in a handkerchief" or some other convenient receptacle, ready for proper hygienic disposal.

Jimbow15 Sun 15-Jul-18 21:11:37

It is also illegal to spit in the street and has been for some time. Next time look for a policeman or report it to the police

MissAdventure Sun 15-Jul-18 22:13:44

It isn't harmful to swallow phlegm. It just needs to come out of your lungs; once its in your stomach it gets digested, so no excuse.

petra Sun 15-Jul-18 22:27:55

jimbow15
That was a joke, wasn't it?

starbox Mon 16-Jul-18 09:34:03

Repulsive habit...the best revenge, I've found, is if someone spits as I walk past (and you should practise this at home): make a horrible hawking sound, as if you're about to expectorate and then go through the motions of spitting. Look the culprit in the eye, smirk and sashay on past! I feel less furious when I've done so.

JustALaugh Mon 16-Jul-18 10:01:04

It's dirty and common, but I think "horrified" is a bit over the top. Footballers do it, too, and it's nasty.

Rufus2 Mon 16-Jul-18 10:13:00

That was a joke, wasn't it?
Petra; I thought this thread might have been "choked off" by now, in deference to us gents but if you're looking for a joke on this subject there's a good Aussie one that all you students of expectorating probably know all about. grin
Cheers

Vivian123 Sat 21-Jul-18 22:47:17

Jimbowl5

Where do I find a policeman?

Sickofweddingcake Sun 29-Jul-18 09:22:34

To be at my wit's end with my 21 year old son?
Every weekend he fails to pay any keep...I try not to rely on it, but it all helps.
He is so dismissive about it and promises to pay next week...it rarely happens.If I am really honest about it; it is really the lack of respect towards it more than the money.
I am sick of working my backside off... and so is his sister... to give him the same amenities at home... for no monetary support. He brings home approximately £150 after tax each week, but he has spent it all by Sunday.
I have tried everything... sent him to his dad's, took his telly out of his room etc...all to no avail.I am at a loss as to how to sort this. Any advice would be gratefully recieved. Thank you.
P.s he was supposed to set a direct debit up... didn't happen!

Sickofweddingcake Sun 29-Jul-18 09:24:55

Stupid me... not sure how this works.I apologise for obviously hijacking a thread.