Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect privacy in A&E.

(99 Posts)
Nanawind Wed 18-Jul-18 14:48:50

On Monday I was taken to hospital after suffering from chest pains (not heart) my DH and I were sat waiting for my blood tests to come back before seeing the doctor again. This was in the main waiting room for A&e.
There was approx 12 patients and they were being triaged, the nurse who was doing this made them stand in the doorway and expected them to give the full reason for why they were there. Some were sent away as they could and should of gone to the chemist. But at least 7 to me were quite poorly
but it's the manor of having to explain in a public place so everyone in the waiting room knew what they were there for and 2 of these patients had an embarrassing problem.
Surely she could of seen them in a private room. What ever happened to patient confidentiality.

endre123 Thu 19-Jul-18 12:00:45

It isn't lack of funding when there is room but the nurse doesn't close the door. It is disrespect. Better traoing required. That disrespect can lead to more serious events

JacquiG Thu 19-Jul-18 12:07:38

This is not right, and should be the subject of a letter of complaint to the CEO of the responsible trust and the CQC. Is it possible they are breaking the requirements of the new GDPR by allowing your condition and treatment data to be revealed to any casual audience?

Yes, people shouldn't go to A&E but they do (were there no appointments at their local surgery - we don't know?) but there is a duty to maintain patient privacy. When to go to A&E or your local pharmacy is a matter of education. Even then, pharmacists are not doctors.

In our trust, patients are triaged in a private room and asked to then sit in the waiting room again until called. It doesn't take much effort to provide these facilities. The workflow is well organised, and very professional.

As for getting changed in a corridor with drunks about! This is quite shocking. and the person was absolutely right to refuse. This lack of thought for patient comfort and care demonstrates a lack of empathy or emotional intelligence, and a decline in professional standards. What's next? We don't need gloves for a few procedures? Or curtains in A&E? They are supposed to put you the patient first, not themselves.

It might be worth having a look at the Francis Report for Mid Staffs, which recommends that this type of thing should be brought to the attention of the trust and DEALT WITH, as it is symptomatic of decline and poor leadership.

webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20150407084231/http://www.midstaffspublicinquiry.com/report

Always complain (otherwise how do they learn?), and always ask what is being done about it, and by when.

As a lay person in a team I inspect a type of hospital department and the associated procedures. There is no accreditation unless privacy arrangements are up to scratch.

Having said that, NHS staff are under pressure, underpaid, and the whole thing is underfunded. The majority are totally dedicated and caring of their patients. But this sort of thing must be stopped as soon as it appears.

So complain, formally, and in writing. Good luck.

Nanny123 Thu 19-Jul-18 12:17:42

That’s awful - I used to work in the NHS and confidentiality was a must for every single patient - that shouldn’t happen

Nanny123 Thu 19-Jul-18 12:18:57

When I lived in Ireland I sat in a room alongside another patient whilst we both had our consultation - couldn’t help hearing what was being said with the civsultant and other patient - I was mortified

Magrithea Thu 19-Jul-18 12:21:30

DGS was unwell last week - stomach pains and obviously in distress even after Calpol and Ibuprofen in the morning. Our local hospital has an Urgent Care service so we went there (DD and I with DGS) and were seen quickly and privately. Referred to PAU in main hospital and by the time he was seen by the doctor he was fine! they did check thoroughly but luckily nothing found

GabriellaG Thu 19-Jul-18 12:21:40

Coolgran65
Took turns 'relieving each other'. Lol. winkblushgrin

GabriellaG Thu 19-Jul-18 12:27:02

In most doctor's surgeries you gzve to explain, either over the phone or in person, why you want an appointment and what the problem is, so that you can be assigned the correct doctor/nurse/clinician. People in tbe waiting room or behind you can hear all that conversation.

knickas63 Thu 19-Jul-18 12:34:58

Our hospital has a separate waiting area for triage, with a private room next to A&E reception. I can't believe your hospital doesn't have this. Please complain. Complaints actually help towards the hospital 'getting it right'

MissAdventure Thu 19-Jul-18 12:35:46

When my daughter was having chemo, she also had an implant into her stomach each time.
When they pulled the curtain round to do the implant, it meant the man in the next chair who was eating his lunch was also behind the curtain with her!
There was no other option, as the chemo dept was so busy, and had so many chairs in a small space.

123kitty Thu 19-Jul-18 12:37:34

Lack of funding is always blamed- but is the vast sum of money hospitals do receive spent wisely?

Mermaiden77 Thu 19-Jul-18 12:39:05

Recently I had to visit A&E for a medical upset, and several of the consulting rooms, all facing the waiting area had the doors open, so you could see and hear people receiving treatment, absolutely no privacy or consideration for the patient being treated and those who have to witness what's happening. Thankfully I wasn't in need of privacy but some people may have been. My most embarrassing experience however was as a young lady who had to have a gynaecology examination. The doctor told me to get undressed from the waist down and lie on the bed, knees bent and legs spread wide and she popped out leaving the door open and leaving me exposed to anyone walking past the room or anyone to pop in. I jumped off the bed and kicked the door shut. I can laugh it off now but at the time I was mortified and traumatised.

Fflaurie Thu 19-Jul-18 12:40:54

Yes, you should complain, your complaint should be to PALS - their address will be on the internet, if you put in PALS (and the hospital you went to) and c.c. to the Chief Executive of the hospital, his/her name and address will be on the hospital website.

dragonfly46 Thu 19-Jul-18 13:15:48

We are very lucky in Leicester as they have just opened a state of the art A&E department. I have been there often this year with my parents and all the staff are both cheerful and professional.

Nonnie Thu 19-Jul-18 13:16:46

I don't think anyone so far has said well done to the nurse who turned people away. I think it is important that people who could get whatever is necessary at their local pharmacy should be educated by being sent away but am not sure it happens often enough.

I think a curtain is enough privacy. Yes, others can hear but they can't see the person speaking and there are more important things than walls for the NHS to spend money on.

I spent Sunday afternoon at a large hospital while DH was having a procedure done. The hospital was very quiet, the patient cafe was closed as was the staff canteen. This begs the question of why hospitals don't work all week. Why not? Don't tell me that it is unfair on the staff, many jobs require weekend working and it is likely there are a lot of people who would find weekend working fitted around their families. Hospital facilities and equipment are very expensive, surely they should be utilised 7 days a week?

willa45 Thu 19-Jul-18 13:17:15

In this day and age, the best witness is an iPhone. When hospital administrators realize that there are actual pics/videos of all the mistreatment, the indignities and bad behavior by their own staff, they'll have no choice but to start paying attention!

Images can be blurred or otherwise edited to prevent patient identification, but they are the best deterrent. The fear is that same videos can end up on Youtube or even worse......the nightly news!

Nonnie Thu 19-Jul-18 13:41:35

Other camera phones are available grin

Alexa Thu 19-Jul-18 13:56:05

Nanawind, it should not happen . I expect the nurse was taught to be kindly tactful but the management failed her.

I'd like to be in that situation in hospital having to explain really embarrassing symptoms to doc or nurse but with the energy to be stroppy. I'd use my normal speaking voice and include all the impolite Anglo Saxon words for body parts and symptoms and shame the devil.

Hey I thought of a theme for a short story!

Cuckoo22 Thu 19-Jul-18 13:57:43

Was at a+e yesterday. Embarrassment and privacy was the last thing on my mind. Just so grateful to have the NHS and all the care and treatment they give despite working in very difficult condition, with some very difficult customers. I was there 9 hours and saw some of the worst behaviour. Lack of privacy also gives some protection from abuse to the staff and patients. If a member of staff, or patient, is being abused or attacked, everyone knows. Behind closed doors, anything can happen. Open ness may be embarrassing, but generally safer for everyone.

Lolly69 Thu 19-Jul-18 14:08:54

It’s the NHS - absolute rubbish, staffed in the main by people with no idea of ‘customer’ or patient confidentiality let alone respect. Yesterday I went with DH for an appointment following his heart incident, doctor arrived 10 mins before her 1st appointment (him) kept him waiting 35 mins whilst some jobs worth announced that this plus 1 other doctor were running late due to other patients (absolute lie). Finally saw her and she said ‘I don’t know why you are here’ aren’t you going to the heart unit? She had absolutely no idea what his issue had been kept droning on about his heart attack (which he hadn’t had), then said he needed a follow up in 6 months. She barely spoke English and rest assured he won’t be going back there. Please don’t tell me they are dedicated professionals

inishowen Thu 19-Jul-18 14:10:06

My 13 month grandson was sent by his GP to A&E this week. (The Royal Belfast hospital) The waiting room was full but the nurse took my daughter and GS to another empty waiting room so that he could potter around safely. Good service I think.

savvynanny Thu 19-Jul-18 14:13:09

Sorry but I have to say Yes , It is unreasonable to expect a private room , as you said yourself a number of patients were told to go to their chemist . This is just one of the reasons the NHS is under so much pressure , asking patients to give full details in a small Triage area assists them in diagnosing and prioritises those most in need .While it may be uncomfortable having to give these details in front of strangers you know that you will receive a good standard of care . Its not a case of "Putting up with it " More a case of 2 Thank your lucky stars we have a Free NHS " .

lottagelady Thu 19-Jul-18 14:54:58

Sorry, I don't care how strapped for cash they are, that is disgusting, unprofessional and not to be accepted! I too am a retired nurse and that is just a basic part of nursing in my mind! I cannot believe that there isn't one small room somewhere where triage can take place? My hospital has one just off the waiting room .... speak to PALS or HEALTHWATCH (not too sure re PALS as they are paid by the NHS I think anyway)

I went a few weeks ago and was Triaged fine - I was in agony in my face - Triage Nurse gave me 5mls Oramorph which I had had at home anyway and hadn't worked, hence my visit! After an hour pacing the waiting room still in agony, I asked the Receptionist what were the likely waiting times (there were actually only 3 folk in the waiting room so didn't appear busy) She said she would go and ask - came back and her tone changed completely - "oh there must be 10 ahead of you and you are only entitled to 2 Paracetamol and then not until 3am! (Which was 2 hours time) So, I went back home with my long suffering elderly neighbour and basically overdosed myself to get rid of the pain as I was desperate by then - the following day I left a review on the hospital's review page, and actually the Head of A&E called me to ask about what had happened - apparently they have now changed the procedure as a result so that the Head Nurse in charge of the shift has to do the communicating with patients, not the Receptionists - so it may be worth popping a review on their page?

lottagelady Thu 19-Jul-18 14:57:28

Oh I do wish Gransnet had a 'like' button!

Elegran Thu 19-Jul-18 15:02:19

Lolly69 You are very dismissive of the dedication of these professionals.

How do you know that it was a lie that other patients had caused the two doctors to be 35 minutes late attending to your DH? They were probably responsible for the patients on the ward as well as in the clinic where your DH was seen, so an emergency there is a very likely occurrence. In a busy hospital, clinic patients who can walk in and sit and wait do not take precedence over criticall ill bed patients in the ward.

The definition of a "heart incident", chemocare.com/chemotherapy/side-effects/cardiovascular-events.aspx is "Cardiovascular events refer to any incidents that may cause damage to the heart muscle.

The heart is a busy organ, constantly pumping blood filled with oxygen and nutrients through your arteries, into the heart muscle (myocardium). Any interruption of blood flow will lead to an injury, or infarction. This is called a heart attack, or a myocardial infarction (MI). This is also known as a coronary or cardiovascular event.

So technically, in doctor's terms, your DH had had a heart attack.

blueskies Thu 19-Jul-18 15:10:13

Generally speaking if you haven't had to visit hospital recently or it is your work you will not realize that it is no longer our NHS and that our funding is going straight into others pockets. ( Tricky Dicky Branson for example ). I didn't vote for this government. Most of us want our NHS back as that is why we have paid our NI and taxes all these years. Roll on Jeremy Corbyn and his manifesto. Anyone read it?