Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to have had enough?

(195 Posts)
tictac Sat 21-Jul-18 13:42:58

Everyone I know has been having a go at me for daring to say this. But I can't cope with this weather much longer. It is relentless and although we have fans the heat has built up over the last weeks to the point where they are just blowing hot air around. I can't sleep and I am sweaty all the time and I am praying for rain

grannysyb Mon 23-Jul-18 10:02:04

A duvet in this heat? We just have a sheet and the fan is on all night. I'm off to the Algarve today with DD and her family,only 26 degrees there!

MissAdventure Mon 23-Jul-18 10:09:03

Well, not a spit or spot of rain last night, and today feels hotter than ever!

MissAdventure Mon 23-Jul-18 10:10:15

Have a lovely time, grannysyb smile

MissAdventure Mon 23-Jul-18 10:11:55

Currently 27 degrees, and will be 30 by three this afternoon. sad

gillybob Mon 23-Jul-18 10:16:05

Please spare a though for those of us still working full time who only get to see the sun two days a week. sad

sodapop Mon 23-Jul-18 13:11:02

I sympathise gillybob must be horrible working in these conditions. Give a thought to the poor people in parts of Japan where its been over 40 degrees for some days.

OldMeg Mon 23-Jul-18 13:21:42

My fans don’t ‘blow hot air around’ ????

pollyperkins Mon 23-Jul-18 14:46:50

Last night we had just a sheet and the portable fan on all night. It was lovely feeling the cool breeze and listemning to the gentle hum of the fan didn't bother me -quite soothing in fact. I'm finishing the ironing now and have brought a fan downstairs so it is blowing on me as I iron.

Grandma70s Mon 23-Jul-18 15:21:13

I’m in the north west, and it’s said to be ‘only’ 25. It’s pretty unbearable outside, all the same. Very, very humid. No sun. It must be terrible in the south if there’s this degree of humidity AND higher temperatures. I will hear tonight when my son rings me. They have recently bought a portable air con unit, so one room at a time can be cool enough.

Can’t wait for autumn.

MissAdventure Mon 23-Jul-18 15:38:46

Its 31 degrees here now, with a weather warning for Friday, when it may reach 38, apparently.

pollyperkins Mon 23-Jul-18 15:41:43

Oh no Misadventure! Whereabouts in the country ard you.

MissAdventure Mon 23-Jul-18 15:44:00

I'm in Essex.
Don't come here unless you enjoy being boiled alive!

cavewoman Mon 23-Jul-18 16:13:27

Haha MissA I too am in Essex and tomorrow have to work outside in it angry
(That's a hot face)

Bellanonna Mon 23-Jul-18 16:41:47

I’m just outside London and I’m really hoping it won’t be 38. That’s awful.

Fennel Mon 23-Jul-18 17:11:19

We're in the NE now and it's not too bad. But husband has had to go back down south, to Essex, for a few days. I wonder what driving will be like?
Usually he tolerates heat well, but driving ....?

petra Mon 23-Jul-18 17:11:39

I'm in Southend. I can't believe how rammed the seafront is.
And what's worse the tide is out all day.
But can you imagine how warm that waters going to be when the tide comes in this evening grin
Fortunately we live in an old bungalow. Those architects knew how to build houses so you get the wind flow running all around.

Fennel Mon 23-Jul-18 17:15:25

ps We often had those summer temperatures when living in SW France. I never went out after about 10am. Took the dogs for a walk after 9pm when the sun was going to bed.

Fennel Mon 23-Jul-18 17:17:02

petra that's where husband is going.

Billybob4491 Mon 23-Jul-18 17:33:11

I also am in Essex praying for rain.

petra Mon 23-Jul-18 17:56:15

Fennel
I hope he's staying or leaving late. Yesterday was bad for getting out.

Fennel Mon 23-Jul-18 19:38:35

Thanks petra - I'll tell him. He's staying with DD1 tonight, further west.

Luckygirl Mon 23-Jul-18 19:41:03

29 in the shade here on Welsh border. I usually love it, but with a lively 5year old all day it feels a bit much!

watermeadow Mon 23-Jul-18 20:38:16

Most dogs dislike hot weather so I’m a dog.
Those of you who love it and come to life in the heat are clearly tortoises.

loopyloo Mon 23-Jul-18 20:53:24

Am trying to look on the bright side. The apricot tree in the back garden has ripening fruit this year and the grapes are coming along well.

MargaretX Mon 23-Jul-18 21:13:42

Life in hot weather is different and opening windows and putting fans on does not help. We often have over 30° and I have learned to live differntly in the heat.

Get up early and let the cool air through the house then close all windows and doors. You may have 27 ° inside then keep it that way and dont let any heat in. If you have an outside umbrella then fix it to shade the windows outside,
Take a cool shower late afternoon and wear along floating nightdress or some kind of loose garment and drink a lot of water, better mineral water and you'll find it tastes better when your body really needs the salts in it.
You know that in Italy they always have their shutters down and in Germany we have outside blinds and awnings. But nobody opens windows when its 3O°+

I have almost passed out in the Uk stayng with my brother who opened windows and kept the boiler on.