Gransnet forums

AIBU

Children in a moving car with rear windows down

(39 Posts)
DJF2018 Thu 26-Jul-18 18:06:13

My daughter and her husband allow their 2 under-twelves to lower the rear windows of the car on journeys, even at high speeds. The children then rest their chins, hands or arms on the edge of the glass, or worse, dangle their hands or even lean out of the window. I think this is dangerous, and don't allow it in my car. But the children continue to do it when my daughter is driving, even though they all know it worries me. AIBU to worry about this? Maybe it isn't as dangerous as I fear?

pollyperkins Fri 27-Jul-18 14:37:40

Juggernaut your icons/emoticons have just come out as rectangles. This happens a lot on GN.anyone else have the same problem?

thecatgrandma Fri 27-Jul-18 16:24:48

This cannot be serious! If it is, get a life. If it’s not, think of something which really matters and is a feasible problem.?

Elegran Fri 27-Jul-18 16:44:02

Polly It is because they are in a format which your device can't display - not confined just to GN.

pollyperkins Fri 27-Jul-18 18:20:13

Ah yes, thanks, I can see them on my ipad but not my phone. But others come out ok.

MamaCaz Fri 27-Jul-18 18:42:47

Of course people sticking body parts out of car windows is a potentially dangerous - at the very least it could distract or mislead another driver, though admittedly that was much more likely in the days of hand signals, but at its worst, imagine what might happen if the arm or head went out as a vehicle was passing too close in the opposite direction, or even if the car on question passes too close to an obstacle on either side. You see wing mirrors lost that way fairly frequently, but at least thy are replaceable!

luzdoh Sat 28-Jul-18 10:19:26

DJF2018 I can't work out how they do this while wearing the correct safety constraints.

Leaning out of a window or putting your hand out could be dangerous and I would not allow it.

GabriellaG Sat 28-Jul-18 10:51:56

It's impossible to put your chin on the window edge if you are properly strapped into your car seat, much less put your head out. Maybe a hand but not a full arm.
They must be slipping their belts off their shoulders.
Mum needs to get a grip.

Catterygirl Sat 28-Jul-18 11:05:24

My dad was in hospital with a man who drove with his elbow on the open window. Another vehicle took his elbow off!

starbird Sat 28-Jul-18 11:08:12

There are probably people daft enough to allow this, though I don’t see how it is possible without compromising the use of the seat belt - if they slide it off the shoulder or whatever it will not save them from serious head injury in the event of a sudden stop or worse.

Dogs are often seen with their head out of a car window - but vets say that could make them prone to ear infections.

quizqueen Sat 28-Jul-18 12:02:10

No matter how good we think our own discipline is, you can't account for others' stupidity!

oldmom Sat 28-Jul-18 15:21:18

We always did this sort of stuff when we were kids. My father always said anything sticking out of the window was dangerous, and if we didn't listen, he would stop the car until we did.

However, if British law is only that children under 12 or 135 cms need to be in a booster seat, there are plenty of under 12s, especially girls, who would be well past that height limit. Many girls reach their adult height between 12-14, so may easily be 140 cms at 11. I've met boys who were well past that at 11 or 12, too.

It's easy enough to stick arms out of the window with a normal seatbelt, and even heads if you slip the shoulder strap off.

OP, you can have all the rules you want for your own car, but you can't tell your DD or grandchildren what to do in their car.

Grandmama Sat 28-Jul-18 18:26:38

Some years ago a child was killed because he had his head sticking out of a car window and the electric window was activated. He might have been decapitated.

harrigran Sun 29-Jul-18 19:36:55

Have just returned home from visiting family and passed a car where a child was leaning out of the back window with head resting on arms. I was horrified that the driver did not seem to notice or care, the child was clearly out of the seat belt. The child was not a nearside passenger.