Gransnet forums

AIBU

Children in a moving car with rear windows down

(38 Posts)
SueDonim Thu 26-Jul-18 19:49:03

Squiffy and Merlotgran I did have a hmm thought too, but decided to answer anyway. grin

jenpax Thu 26-Jul-18 19:39:31

I too consider this very dangerous?
I am also another who has been labelled safety mad by DD’s I am sure I am more aware of potential hazards for the DGC than I was with my own children ??‍♀️

merlotgran Thu 26-Jul-18 19:33:58

And a hmm from me as well.

PECS Thu 26-Jul-18 19:25:36

Echoing others..if in car seats and properly strapped not sure how a head gets near enough the window. I do not allow it as I do not like the noise.

Squiffy Thu 26-Jul-18 18:48:13

hmm ???

pollyperkins Thu 26-Jul-18 18:36:44

No, not leaning out of the window - missed that! Very dangerous and how is it possible if strapped in seat?

ginny Thu 26-Jul-18 18:35:19

As others have said , how can they have heads out of the window if they are properly ( legally) restrained ?
Also most cars have air con. now. This will not work properly if the windows are open. Far cooler to use the air con.

Melanieeastanglia Thu 26-Jul-18 18:30:37

If they are wearing seatbelts, how are they able to lean out of the windows? I feel certain a Police officer would stop a driver if he/she saw this.

Apart from the Police taking an interest, I would regard this sort of behaviour as dangerous.

Newquay Thu 26-Jul-18 18:29:03

I say exactly the same, nothing dangled out of the window-I do have to repeat myself several times. Nothing new there then.
Recently at DD's I saw lower window pushed up, sofa in front with drop to hard surface. I had to comment on it and hope they've taken it on board especially after hearing of sad death of young lad who fell through a window. I don't see danger everywhere but life experience teaches us what to look out for.
Actually DD2 recently spent evening with DD1 who said that said DD had said I was safety mad-I waited for reaction with bated breath but DD1 said she was glad to hear it-phew!

pollyperkins Thu 26-Jul-18 18:26:54

Presumably tbey are strapped in so I don't see the problem unless they put arms or heads actually out of the car. That would be dangerous as well as distracting for other motorists.

SueDonim Thu 26-Jul-18 18:26:40

If they are properly restrained by the correct car seats then I don't understand how they are able to lean out of the windows.

rubytut Thu 26-Jul-18 18:18:53

I would see it as dangerous but as I have got older I see danger everywhere. As long as you keep with the "my car my rules" hopefully you will not have to see it too often.

DJF2018 Thu 26-Jul-18 18:06:13

My daughter and her husband allow their 2 under-twelves to lower the rear windows of the car on journeys, even at high speeds. The children then rest their chins, hands or arms on the edge of the glass, or worse, dangle their hands or even lean out of the window. I think this is dangerous, and don't allow it in my car. But the children continue to do it when my daughter is driving, even though they all know it worries me. AIBU to worry about this? Maybe it isn't as dangerous as I fear?