Gransnet forums

AIBU

To not allow the tumble drier to be used apart from emergencies

(92 Posts)
Grammaretto Mon 30-Jul-18 18:53:56

I was brought up post war and was conditioned to save and be frugal whenever possible. I have a tumble drier which is over 40 years old . I hardly ever use it when there is a garden and a pully in the house. Today I found the drier on and told our young house guest to take out his washing and as it's raining, hang it on the pully overnight.

Why? he asked. Because it uses up loads of electricity, I replied.
He's leaving tomorrow and I feel a bit mean now.
It may just be a case of feeling cross that young people today - he's 17- have no concept of paying bills or even reducing their impact on the planet. I sound very pious writing this. What do others think?

JenniferEccles Fri 03-Aug-18 12:49:35

I LOVE my tumble dryer! It's an absolute godsend in the Winter, or whenever it's raining, and I wouldn't be without it.

Having said that I do hang things in the garden in weather like we are currently having, but of course it isn't always like this is it?!

I really wouldn't like damp clothing hanging around indoors, and honestly dryers aren't as expensive as some would have you believe.

Fake News!!!!

Stansgran Fri 03-Aug-18 14:24:19

But why won't they make a SMALL condensing dryer? My bête noir .

JenniferEccles Fri 03-Aug-18 17:03:52

Well there we are.

A couple of people have mentioned around 30p per hour to run a dryer.

No-one can now say they are expensive, surely? I knew they weren't as horrendously expensive as is sometimes claimed, but I didn't know they were that cheap.

I love mine even more now!

Lynne59 Fri 03-Aug-18 21:24:56

Your dryer is 40 years old?! Blimey, that's served you extremely well (but then if you don't use it very often, it would). I use mine for underwear, sock, and for finishing off some things that are still damp from being on the line or radiator. (not in this weather though)

Blinko Fri 03-Aug-18 21:43:06

In Wintertime, I do the washing in an evening, put everything on an airer and anything that's not dry by morning goes in the TD. What's not to like?

Grammaretto Fri 03-Aug-18 22:11:59

I am enjoying everyone's solutions to loads of wet washing.
I do occasionally use the 40yr old dryer to finish almost dry clothes or bedding . Our house guests generate a lot of washing.
I have been researching tumble dryers online . They are too expensive so I'll stick with the old faithful until it fails. And why would you need 16 programmes? Mine is hot or warm. I never have it on hot.

Jalima1108 Fri 03-Aug-18 22:55:50

And why would you need 16 programmes?
You don't - don't be conned, like we were, into spending an extra £200 or so for something that has so many useless programmes.

The only thing to make sure of is that it is a 'safe' tumble dryer and not on the list of those liable to catch fire.

annodomini Fri 03-Aug-18 23:29:56

Mine is 17 years old and has two programmes, high and low. I remove the lint from the filter after each use because that reduces the risk of fire - and I never go out and leave it on. I've no idea why no-one makes a small condenser. Mine is huge - ideal for sheets and duvet covers. I got it originally at a reduced price because it had a small bump on the casing - as if that affected its performance!

Bluegal Sat 04-Aug-18 06:07:19

I didn’t comment before because I use tumble drier all the time ? but just wondering- you mentioned a couple of times “house guests”? Are these paying house guests or family/friends? Sounded like you have constant house guests? So if you do ALL their washing that they generate I am surprised you don’t use your tumble drier every day. I hate wet washing hanging around. Just curious that’s all

sodapop Sat 04-Aug-18 08:05:00

I hate washing hanging around as well Bluegal my ideal home would have a large utility room with shower and lavatory. It would have space for white goods, dog paraphernalia and to dry washing. Sadly its unlikely we can afford this so I'll dream on.

Gma29 Sat 04-Aug-18 08:36:11

I use mine as I need to. I don’t have anywhere to dry washing inside, as on radiators is a definite “no”. So in it goes if the weather is poor, or if it hasn’t got quite dry. Some things such as the OH underwear are softer when tumble dried, so I don’t need to iron any if it. I’d rather tumble dry than iron any day!

They aren’t that expensive to run, although if yours is 40 years plus it may use a little more - but as others have said, the purchase itself was economical. You can buy a drier fairly cheaply now, although some are exorbitant.

PECS Sat 04-Aug-18 08:52:17

I think modern driers are less heavy on their use of electricity. DDs have them & I think for a family in some space they are a great time saver. We don't need one for us.. we have enough clothes etc. not to be stuck if weather does not allow outside drying. We are lucky to have a spare room where we put a drying rail up when too damp for outdoor drying.
I would deffo. have not commented to a young house guest.

Grammaretto Sat 04-Aug-18 14:34:51

As I said before, we have helpers who are volunteers and work in exchange for their keep.
I wish there had been something like this when i was young. You can travel the world over and notch up great experience working on farms or helping people with their projects.

Today I've had a carpet and old lino lifted prior to sanding and sealing a wooden floor.
The washing is getting dry on the outside line. Another helper is cooking something for our meal this evening.

Bluegal Sat 04-Aug-18 19:52:37

Sounds good grammareto - so long as you don’t need to dry your clothes ???

Bluegal Sat 04-Aug-18 19:53:41

So in answer to your original question- yes YABU lol ?

Bluegal Sat 04-Aug-18 19:55:42

Sodapop- mine too. I would have 2 tumble driers lol