Gransnet forums

AIBU

My neighbour wants to climb my tree

(120 Posts)
ninjagran Thu 09-Aug-18 17:30:32

We noticed a miaowing at the bottom of our garden this morning. It appears a cat has got itself stuck. The tree is covered in ivy and very tall so we can't actually see the cat itself though we can definitely hear it. I've called the RSPCA and their advice is to leave it - it will come down on its own. My neighbours however are insistent on rescuing the poor thing and keep knocking on my door. They want to bring ladders through my house and into the garden and try get at it. I'm not particularly happy about this and have put them off so far. Not just because of the ladders, but I also don't know these neighbours very well (they're at the back to the side if you know what I mean) so I know one of them by sight but that's about it. I'm not being unreasonable am I?

muffinthemoo Fri 10-Aug-18 15:40:43

Ladies, you have saved me from a potential cat related mistake in the future!!

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Aug-18 17:31:41

but where's the cat now?

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Aug-18 17:33:07

muffin - no!! It could fall down and break its neck!
(you will get into trouble with certain posters)

Although if a cat is pooing in your rose beds I think turning the hose on it or chucking a bucket of water over it is permitted.

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Aug-18 17:35:04

The neighbours would have been traipsing through posters hall and knocking the paintwork grin

I would be more worried that the neighbour could lean the ladder against a branch which broke, then sue you for having an unsafe tree in your garden. I'd get them to sign a disclaimer first ninjagran

thecatgrandma Fri 10-Aug-18 17:37:54

What kind of inhumane person can sit by and hear an animal in distress? For Gods sake, it would be over with in such a short time, get a life.

PECS Fri 10-Aug-18 17:48:14

Were the neighbours terribly drunk that they would crash through the hallway damaging paintwork? They may be used to using ladders in their day job and be very adept at manouvreing through hallways. You

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Aug-18 17:50:19

Don't fret thecatgrandma - I expect it's down by now, probably under its own steam.

PECS it was a family joke (something my mother always said grin), perhaps lost on this thread.

Bluegal Fri 10-Aug-18 18:22:48

I 'get' your humour Jalima lol..... but you are right the cat will be down by now so don't fret thecatgrandma. I adore cats and I know, from experience, that they are so agile and clever they find their way.....

I think I was more erm 'surprised' at the fact the OP was more worried about people trying to help on the basis that she didn't know her neighbours well enough. Well, what BETTER opportunity to say Hi. Then again, I love meeting new people and any which way is o.k. by me!

annodomini Fri 10-Aug-18 18:36:23

No-one could bring a ladder long enough to reach the top of a tree through my small house as it would involve five doorways including front and back door and two corners in between. But I would explain the situation very tactfully. My neighbour has a lovely, home-loving cat and only a serious emergency would drive her up a tree.

oldbatty Fri 10-Aug-18 18:37:01

isn't traipsing a great word?

Elrel Fri 10-Aug-18 19:02:47

Glad the cat is safe.
I assume the problem was that ninjagran had not been formally introduced to the new neighbours. I'm sure Jane Austen will provide guidance on how this should properly be done!

Fran0251 Sat 11-Aug-18 09:40:43

I don't understand the fuss. The experts, the RSPCA, have been asked and given their advice. One should follow it.

judylow Sat 11-Aug-18 10:10:28

Hope it gets rescued. Personally don’t see what the problem is letting them through your house if that’s necessary as long as they are careful with the ladder.

Mamar2 Sat 11-Aug-18 10:25:29

I think she was right not to let strangers in her home. Cat or no cat. Best to be safe.

Oldwoman70 Sat 11-Aug-18 10:29:34

If there was no other way to get to the tree I think I would have asked a neighbour who I did know to come along to "help" so I was not alone with strangers. I would also take it as an opportunity to get to know them. I hope the cat is now safely down - has anyone checked it isn't still there?

typicallytina Sat 11-Aug-18 10:31:16

Ask the neighbours if they have ever seen a cat’s skeleton up a tree!!??!!.....a cat will always get down if it got up on it’s own and wasn’t thrown up there....which I doubt

starbird Sat 11-Aug-18 10:35:33

I didn’t know that they built terraced houses with no back access - my son has a gate into a neighbour’s garden as do the rest of the houses in his terrace so that they can get to the end one and out, in case of fire or whatever.
In my terraced house ( which has a back access) you come into the lounge via a porch at the fryont then straight into the kitchen to get out the back - I would think twice about letting strangers through especially if it is not their cat, and in light of RSPCA advice.

How do you get your back windows cleaned without letting a ladder through?

harrigran Sat 11-Aug-18 10:37:14

Well said typical, if cats didn't manage to get down from trees the branches would be full of them in autumn.
Good for you ninja for standing your ground.

Legs55 Sat 11-Aug-18 10:38:26

I'm a cat lover & have "owned" many through my life, I've had excellent tree climbershmm, most cats will come down of their own accord. Noise of strangers calling & trying to reach it may well cause it climb higher & possible get into trouble.

No way would I have let anyone come through my house with a ladder, if they couldn't reach the tree from their garden why expect to come into yours? As has been pointed out if they became injured on your property it would be an nightmare as they could sue & I doubt your Insurance Company would pay outconfused

In my part of Devon the Fire Brigade have rescued cats in precarious situations although they may chargegrin

MawBroon Sat 11-Aug-18 10:46:34

starbird Sat 11-Aug-18 10:35:33
I didn’t know that they built terraced houses with no back access

What?
Georgian terraces, Victorian 2 up 2 down terraced houses, Edwardian, between the wars etc etc etc right up to modern new build townhouses and terraces.

Where have you lived Starbird?

GabriellaG Sat 11-Aug-18 10:50:31

I'm not a cat lover but, if I were, I'd leave it to find it's own way down. I certainly wouldn't entertain calling out the fire brigade (wrong on so many levels) nor would I allow unknown neighbours to traipze through my home with ladders and the H&S aspect of that.
No...wear ear-plugs and forget about it.

annodomini Sat 11-Aug-18 11:17:53

starbird, you are right, of course. I have an end terrace house and two neighbours have access to the road through my back patio, by means of two gates. They generally use this route for taking out bins or bikes and the window cleaners come through with ladders as do roofers and other builders. It's in my deeds (1891) that I have to provide 'wheelbarrow access'.

MawBroon Sat 11-Aug-18 11:29:13

I lived in 2 terraced houses in S London from 1975-84 where the only garden access was through the house.
DDs 2 and 3 both have Victorian terraced houses in E London, again, the only access is through the house.
A right if way across my garden would have been a complete dealbreaker with small children and a dog.
It really is not at all unusual!

palliser65 Sat 11-Aug-18 11:47:26

I really cannot think of why you would decline to help an animal in distress. Let the kind and humane neighbours in to come to the aid of the vulnerable animal. Watch through your window if you like. They sound like decent and kind neighbours to me. I'm sorry but can't understand your issue at all. Perhaps there will be a post here next week afrom some neighbours upset they are prevented from rescuing a terrified animal by a neighbour.

annodomini Sat 11-Aug-18 11:57:45

Why do some posters write as if the cat is still up there? See ninjagran's post written just over 24 hours ago. If the cat was still in the tree it would certainly be yowling its head off.