Gransnet forums

AIBU

My neighbour wants to climb my tree

(120 Posts)
ninjagran Thu 09-Aug-18 17:30:32

We noticed a miaowing at the bottom of our garden this morning. It appears a cat has got itself stuck. The tree is covered in ivy and very tall so we can't actually see the cat itself though we can definitely hear it. I've called the RSPCA and their advice is to leave it - it will come down on its own. My neighbours however are insistent on rescuing the poor thing and keep knocking on my door. They want to bring ladders through my house and into the garden and try get at it. I'm not particularly happy about this and have put them off so far. Not just because of the ladders, but I also don't know these neighbours very well (they're at the back to the side if you know what I mean) so I know one of them by sight but that's about it. I'm not being unreasonable am I?

willa45 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:02:07

Jalima, it was a young cat and it looked healthy, so I'm guessing he had a home somewhere. There were several houses, less than a kilometer away, on the other side of those woods.

willa45 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:10:14

Excellent Bluegal....You need to start a thread to collect votes for implementing a 'like' button! (otherwise we could all end up hijacking the thread about cats and ladders.

inishowen Sat 11-Aug-18 17:20:32

Just a thought. If the ladder was left against the tree the cat could probably make it's way down that way. As long as all the humans went away and left it in peace.

Maggiemaybe Sat 11-Aug-18 17:40:31

The cat’s down. Long since. Enjoyed its spot of mischief making, and has presumably gone back to ruling over its people back at home.

craftergran Sat 11-Aug-18 20:10:25

My cat got himself stuck up on our roof when he was a kitten. Our roof is on two different levels and he'd climbed to the highest point and complained loudly that he couldn't get down.
I went to the back of the house where the lower roof is and called him and eventually he realised that he should go back down that way.
Pretty sure the cat will find it's own way back down, when it's gone quiet outside. All those people fussing him is likely to make him more stressed

Jalima1108 Sat 11-Aug-18 20:14:35

His 15 minutes of fame on GN Maggiemaybe grin

GabriellaG Sun 12-Aug-18 00:15:30

I've noted with interest, that threads which concern animals are, in the main, longer than the majority of others.
I can't understand the love affair with pets.

Moira654 Sun 12-Aug-18 08:55:44

I’d say no because if they fell you’d probably be liable!

MawBroon Sun 12-Aug-18 09:23:59

Or indeed gabriellaG the obsession with daughters in law and/or neighbours hmm

Lilyflower Sun 12-Aug-18 16:49:06

Cats can climb up easily but not down. The poor animal needs to be rescued as quickly as possible.

Jalima1108 Sun 12-Aug-18 17:04:58

It's down Lilyflower

I did watch a one year old cat shoot up a large conifer the other week after a squirrel, realise it wasn't a good idea and come down slowly and carefully.

Glamma420 Sun 12-Aug-18 18:39:35

I really hope you let your neighbor rescue the cat! Sounds horrible for the poor fur baby! Please don’t continue to be unreasonable. If anything help out for me...

Jobey68 Sun 12-Aug-18 19:02:27

I'm sorry but I would be your neighbours!! Cats can climb up easily enough but not always down and if listening to a distressed animal wasn't bothering me then I would be worried, some people really do baffle me!?
Im sure your neighbours won't rampage through the house with the ladder bashing all your paint work for goodness sakes, whatever happened to just doing the right thing without the need for a debate and a risk assessment??
The world has gone ever so slightly mad in my opinion ?

grannybuy Mon 13-Aug-18 10:05:37

I wouldn't be too concerned about letting in neighbours that I didn't know, but not too sure of a ladder! I am in a new build bungalow, with all white interior and new flooring throughout. Because it was pristine, I find that I am being extra careful to keep it looking good for as long as possible. This has made me more observant of how easy it is for people to scrape and chip walls and woodwork as they pass by! My DGC's know to be as careful as possible, within reason. It's no fun being landed with bills for gouges out of walls etc or repainting of surfaces. I recently had a carrier come to uplift a tall, narrow chest of drawers (damaged on receipt!). I removed the drawers and moved them and the frame near to the front door, then covered them in the bubble wrap they came in. I held my extra wide front door open back to the wall as the man carried the item out, but he still managed to knock a piece off the surface of my new door. It cost his company over £100 pounds to fix. With care, it would never have happened.

Rufus2 Mon 13-Aug-18 10:30:45

longer than the majority of others
You can blame me for that Gabriella! sad
Being compassionate, I get so carried away talking about "creatures great and small" because they appreciate TLC and don't usually complain.! wink

Rufus2 Mon 13-Aug-18 10:41:53

hijacking the thread about cats and ladders
Willa45; what do you do when it's a grizzlie up your tree? Get a stronger ladder or run like hell? shock
Btw. did you finally get the B,C. advice about Grizzlies and little bells.?
Domestic cats used to wear little bells around their neck to give the birds warning of their approach, but perhaps they've been banned on grounds of noise pollution! grin

Rufus2 Mon 13-Aug-18 14:49:42

Where have you lived Starbird?
Not M/c I'd guess! It was full of them when I was a little lad, but a few land mines must have cleared quite a few out during the blitz.!
We always welcomed the coal-man through the front door, humping a big sack on his back on his way to dump it in the bath. grin
There was no back way for his lorry, but I don't recall any dramas about spoiling any wallpaper in the passage; I think we were so grateful to let him in. smile

starbird Mon 13-Aug-18 16:41:55

I’ve lived in small houses with outside loos and no bathroom but we had a back door. I forget or didn’t realise that there were still terraced houses built back to back - they are even still building them.

Glad it’s all resolved, hopefully the cat knows better now.

cornishsue1 Thu 16-Aug-18 10:30:26

Let's hope the OP doesn't need any of her neighbour's help anytime soon. I personally find the OP's unwillingness to help rather sad.