Gransnet forums

AIBU

Eugenie’s wedding

(378 Posts)
Cambia Sat 18-Aug-18 18:23:41

AIBU to think that we should not have to pay the security costs for Eugenie’s wedding? Apparently she carries out no royal duties at all. I read that the money will come from local councils that apparently cannot afford money for car for the elderly, potholes etc etc. Really do feel that that particular branch of the Royal Family are not particularly good value and that is putting it very politely!

henetha Sun 19-Aug-18 10:37:16

Although I am a fervent believer in the monarchy, I have to say I agree with this. I would like to see the monarchy slimmed down so that only the monarch and immediate heirs have things paid for by us, the people. Only the Queen and Prince Philip, Charles and Camilla, William and Kate and Harry and Meghan should be supported by us. Others should in every way finance themselves. I agree that the Princess Royal (Anne) is a good example of how they should live.
I have absolutely nothing again Eugenie, but she should get no costs towards her wedding or the security in any way.

trisher Sun 19-Aug-18 10:38:47

I've decided it's time we had an Act of Parliament restricting those eligible for security at the public expense and limiting the members of the RF. So only Queenie and the direct heirs would be allowed- say to 5th place. The rest could then go off and live in the real world.

Granny23 Sun 19-Aug-18 10:42:05

Last weekend the DD of a local farming family was married in the local hotel/wedding venue. She arrived in an open, 2 horse carriage/landau? and after the ceremony, she and her new DH drove through the village, round the roundabout and back to the venue. Thankfully this was during a dry spell in an otherwise wet day. It was nice to see, people stopped to wave and shout good luck.

Their choice, their money, no Police to stop the traffic or other security, no skin off my nose.

Jalima1108 Sun 19-Aug-18 11:15:08

Despite what some Gransnetters may think, there will be members of the public who will want to go and see Eugenie getting married (although I am not one of them).

Because of this, there will need to be the normal security which would be required if members of the Royal Family are gathered for any event - and also to protect members of the public too, more so bearing in mind recent events.

My DN and wife left their ceremony in a horse and carriage ...

Jalima1108 Sun 19-Aug-18 11:19:23

they live in a world of their own where the country is newly painted and beautiful well dressed ,well fed children ,arrive with bouquets of flowers simply because they turned up to open a curtain hiding a plaque and shake some hands.
so, when they visit a homeless shelter or somewhere similar, as the younger members of the RF do, does everyone rush around with a pot of paint and paintbrush first and find some well-fed homeless people for them to chat to?

I don't think so.
I think some Gransnetters live in la la land if they don't realise that the RF bring much-needed charity money in by the publicity they give and how thankful many charities are for their patronage.

At least they don't go on a 'smash and grab raid' like a certain PM's wife did when invited to choose a couple of gifts for her children.

Anniebach Sun 19-Aug-18 11:24:54

.trisher you cannot reduce the number to five. You are cutting out the publics darling - Harry , he is no 6

Oldwoman70 Sun 19-Aug-18 11:24:55

Eugenie's parents are wealthy, she is marrying a wealthy man - if she wants an elaborate wedding then they can pay for it. The extra security is because the RF are targets. She is a very minor royal so the coach ride through the streets is a bit OTT and she should consider whether she is putting the general public and the RF in danger by this.

gillybob Sun 19-Aug-18 11:29:12

I very much live in the real world Jalima . The one where you go to work and earn a living, the one where you pay for everything you have out of your earned money, the one where I have to make cutbacks when times are hard, the one where my children and their children will have to do the same.

The rf ( all of them) haven’t got a clue about this world . They live in the lap of luxury in their various palaces, castles and estates. Their idea of what work might be is to shake a hand every now and again .

Jalima1108 Sun 19-Aug-18 11:31:53

She is a very minor royal so the coach ride through the streets is a bit OTT and she should consider whether she is putting the general public and the RF in danger by this.
I do agree OldWoman

Jalima1108 Sun 19-Aug-18 11:33:06

What did the far more popular Zara Phillips and Mike Tindal do?

gillybob Sun 19-Aug-18 11:35:20

you cannot reduce the number to five. You are cutting out the publics darling - Harry , he is no 6

Publics darling ? Please tell me that was a joke Annie

grin

Jalima1108 Sun 19-Aug-18 11:35:58

^ I think they all live in La La Land .^
Your term, not mine gillybob
and I do think they are far more aware than you realise

gillybob Sun 19-Aug-18 11:39:36

Zara is/was a professional sportswoman with an Olympic gold medal to her name .

Mike Tindal is/was a professional rugby player .

Deserving of more respect ( from me anyway) I think because they have earned their own money through sport and sponsorship much like any other professional sportsperson.

Anniebach Sun 19-Aug-18 11:40:57

Zara’s marriage was as extravagant as the rest of the Windsor weddings

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-14344093

gillybob Sun 19-Aug-18 11:41:34

It was my term Jamila which I stand by . I don’t think her maj or the rest of the firm will give us commoners a second thought as they go through their blinkered, cosseted lives .

Anniebach Sun 19-Aug-18 11:43:07

gilly, they do not carry out any royal duties but have the luxury of those who do.

merlotgran Sun 19-Aug-18 11:45:09

I can't see anything over extravagant about Zara and Mike Tindall's wedding. The RF were in attendance which sets it apart but it was modest by royal wedding standards.

It followed hot on the heels of William and Kate's so very modest IMO.

Anniebach Sun 19-Aug-18 11:52:26

Holyroodhouse is a royal palace , the official residence of queenie in Scotland, so the same as William and Kate’s reception in Buck house and Harry’s in Windsor,

merlotgran Sun 19-Aug-18 11:53:35

Where were they supposed to go then. The Town Hall?

Lucylastic Sun 19-Aug-18 11:57:52

Jalima, if we didn't have to pay for the royal family and sundry hangers-on, we might have more cash to support the homeless by building houses.
No homeless shelters left for the toffs to visit - now wouldn't that be an achievement?

Anniebach Sun 19-Aug-18 11:58:20

Where do others who marry in that church hold their reception?

And as the wedding was at the end of July sensible to hold the wedding in Edinburgh, the Windsors would all be in Scotland for their summer holidays

Granny23 Sun 19-Aug-18 12:00:01

Long, long ago the Queen came to open our 'new' Academy. We had in fact moved in from the old school a year previously, so it was felt necessary to do a touch up paint job, install a flag pole etc, etc to spruce up the building. Bizarrely, only the girls, were asked to contribute a small donation to the complete refurbishment of the private toilet adjoining the Rector's study - I can only suppose that it was deemed to be unthinkable that the Queen could use a loo throne where a man had previously sat and too delicate a subject for the boys to hear about.

In the event, we heard that the Queen did not visit the loo (does she ever?) not that we saw her because only the Head girl and boy + the prefects and senior choir, all in immaculate school uniform + white gloves, were in the school that day. The rest of us were given the day off and warned to stay away. I remember that there was an outcry thereafter because we were charged the weekly rate for our school dinners with no rebate for that day.

gillybob Sun 19-Aug-18 12:00:46

Well I’ll be blowed. I do have something in common with the royals after all .

I held my (2nd) wedding reception in my grannies front room too !

Telly Sun 19-Aug-18 12:24:28

Nothing against the couple, but no the public purse should not be paying towards it. When people are living on the streets and care packages are cut to the bone, I could go on. . No, it is not right. They can sell a tiara or two to pay. Or the odd old master.

Anniebach Sun 19-Aug-18 12:49:00

But would any grandmother say to one grandchild - you can’t have what the rest of the family have had