Am I the ‘only one’ ?

Bridgeit Wed 29-Aug-18 14:58:28

Just lighthearted humour Oldmeg ???

OldMeg Wed 29-Aug-18 15:53:33

Appreciate the flowers Bridgeit

Bridgeit Wed 29-Aug-18 17:02:57

?

Bathbelle Thu 30-Aug-18 09:23:32

I hate it when the newsreader says ‘it’s good night from me’ as I always have to say ‘and it’s goodnight from him’ a la Two Ronnies.

grandMattie Thu 30-Aug-18 09:29:47

"Own it"!

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Thu 30-Aug-18 09:53:29

I don't watch the news anymore as anything important comes up on my phone and I can see what the weather is doing when I look out of the window grin

Nanny27 Thu 30-Aug-18 09:58:02

I confess to being a dyed in the wool pedant but your news etc doesn't bother me. However 'for me' drives me insane. "could you hop (hop?) on the scales /couch for me? I'm not five!

jocork Thu 30-Aug-18 10:08:50

Perhaps you should actually try 'Hopping on' and see what reaction you get. I think if I hopped on the scales it would break them!hmm

pollyperkins Thu 30-Aug-18 10:50:09

Ha ha! I sometimes get special offers saying 'just for you'. DH says fancy putting on a special offer just for you! How kind of them !

pollyperkins Thu 30-Aug-18 10:52:30

It's ridiculous isn't it? Even on Classic fm they say 'music chosen by you'! Not by me -I've never sent in a request. Why can't they say chosen by listeners?

GabriellaG Thu 30-Aug-18 11:05:07

I agree. I also dislike people writing/saying 'you' instead of 'your' ie: 'you book' or 'here's you meal' but then, decent language is fast disappearing.
People routinely preface a sentence with 'So' and pepper their speech with 'I mean', 'like' and 'um'.
It was never more apparent than when I was watching the European Championships in Glasgow and Belgium. Competitors couldn't open their mouths without resorting to the street language mentioned.

NanKate Thu 30-Aug-18 11:53:59

I find your comment rather unkind OldMeg.

I have had more than my share of irritating and upsetting (life threatening) problems this year so I need to be cut a bit of slack.

Stella14 Thu 30-Aug-18 11:57:31

Bit unnecessarily harsh OldMeg. I have a very full life but playing fast and loose with the English language with Americanisms irritates the hell out of me! Why has it become a fashion now to say “speak to (an issue)” rather than “address (the issue)? And don’t get me started of people who sound the H when pronoucing H shock

Camelotclub Thu 30-Aug-18 13:29:54

I don't much care either way. There are worse things in the world.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 30-Aug-18 13:38:09

Yes, it bothers me too, I don't want the news. What would I do with them? Anything that could be classed as "my news" I already know and don't usually want to broadcast to all and sundry. The news is a completely different kettle of fish.

Horatia Thu 30-Aug-18 13:49:05

All the News programmes, can go in Room 101 complete with blasting big bongo drums heralding in every item. It doesn't seem respectful to those affected to try to make often sad and tragic happenings come across as even more sensational or shocking. I miss the News though.

Nanny27 Thu 30-Aug-18 14:06:46

Why DO people pronounce the ‘h’ in the letter ‘h’?

annifrance Thu 30-Aug-18 16:49:51

Your Gatwick Airport. Really?!!!

Mauriherb Thu 30-Aug-18 16:56:44

Why do the weather people talk about "wall to wall sunshine "? What walls are they talking about?
Also, as a hayfever sufferer, I don't need them to tell me that the pollen count is high !

4allweknow Thu 30-Aug-18 17:06:05

If it is "My News" well I don't want to hear it and who gives them the right to tell everyone about it. It has to stop and just tell us "The Local News.

gmelon Thu 30-Aug-18 18:56:26

The expression that annoys me is a person who has to watch "my programmes" or "my soaps".

nannypiano Thu 30-Aug-18 19:26:23

I love reading your comments, all so variable. Some make me laugh, all very genuine. Amazing how different we all are. Keep it up ladies …. I love it.

Nanny41 Thu 30-Aug-18 19:41:27

Not really bothered one way or the other, BUT we do have a friend who writes daily on Facebook and has the irritating habit of starting each day with " Good morning sunbeams, today the weather is delivering ----" I wonder why she doesnt work in the Met office!

lemongrove Thu 30-Aug-18 20:48:09

I don't mind most things [language wise] but am becoming tired of being blessed, again today in a clothes shop by an assistant because I coughed.confused

mabon1 Fri 31-Aug-18 12:05:46

"Your" news is for your particular region of the country, what on earth can be wrong with that? Nothing better to moan about then?