Gransnet forums

AIBU

To worry about future generations

(54 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 12-Sep-18 21:44:49

or even "put off"!!!

Luckygirl Wed 12-Sep-18 21:44:26

I am sure you are right about education. Too much taught too early; and too little of it of real use the real world.

I do not know whether there is a cause and effect relationship with the feral youths - but I do know that too many are out of education because it seems irrelevant to them.

M0nica Wed 12-Sep-18 21:38:51

My grandparents were born into extreme poverty, in toan ethnic group, then treated the way the Romanians treat gypsies. In other words they were Irish catholics and lived in England. They managed to survive and thrive. My parents were born just before and during WW! and survived to be the right age to fight in WW2. I was born in south London during WW2. My children were born at the height of the cold war. My grandchildren have been born into global warning.

I doubt there has ever been a generation born into absolute peace with no cloud on the horizon. Insecurity about the future is part of the human condition and will never go away. Every generation grows up in fear of catastrophe and with figures to prove that we are all heading to perdition. Nothing unusual about that.

Joelsnan Wed 12-Sep-18 15:55:18

I woke early this morning so lay listening to world service/radio 4 till time to get up.
There was a report of a prison officer who had more than 25 years service and was giving a report to some committee. He stated that the type of prisoner had changed markedly recently. At one time the majority would 'get their heads down' and either take courses or just see out there time. He literally stated that the prisons are now filled with feral youths, who are very aggressive, cannot take instruction or direction.
This got me thinking, but later in the day i turned the TV to see a hearbroken man sat in his dilapidated car with his children around him as the baliffs came to call.
And i wondered what sort of society do we want to leave to those who follow.
Schools teach English to an infinite depth when wouldnt a good level of comprehension, vocabulary, reading and spelling suffice. Time save could reinstate domestic science teaching how to cook cheaply and nutritiously. Mathetmatics has always taught parts that for most are destined to the wastebin of the brain. Why not teach money management. We should also teach saving, if you cant afford it, save for it. One of those BBC programmes 'Live well for Less', highlights just how precarious so many families are with their flash homes, clothes, cars and holidays and no back up in case of redundancy or illness.
The mental health issue has soared, is this because as a society we are not gifting our children the tools and resilience to cope with the actul realities of life.