Gransnet forums

AIBU

To want comfortable and attractive underwear

(82 Posts)
ayse Wed 12-Sep-18 20:59:09

I’m finding it very difficult to find a bra that fits. Ideally I would like a cotton bra, that didn’t shove me up and push me in. Additionally one that didn’t create loads of flabby flesh round my back! I’m not a larger person and have been measured as 34B but they are so tight so I have tried a 36A but to no avail. Anyone else have the same trouble and does any one have any suggestions?

SophiaField Thu 06-Dec-18 03:01:32

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

annep Sat 15-Sep-18 13:19:18

Great Maytime!?

maytime2 Sat 15-Sep-18 12:35:06

Following the advice given on this thread yesterday, I measured myself using the method on "A bra that fits". I have been buying a 36C but measured as a 34D. I bought a bra that size this morning and it is a much better fit.

Jalima1108 Fri 14-Sep-18 20:35:30

We're taller in the mornings too, apparently.

annep Fri 14-Sep-18 20:34:24

sounds sensible* Crystal*

crystaltips46 Fri 14-Sep-18 18:23:14

Many years ago I was advised to only be fitted for a bra in the afternoon and only try ones with at least 3 sets of hooks. They should fit comfy on the middle hooks. This way it will still fit when on the 3rd hook in the morning when we are all a bit slimmer and on the 1st hook in the evening as we all swell up over the course of the day. Also, choose bras with wider straps that don't have too much stretch.

123kitty Fri 14-Sep-18 17:51:21

Unpacked was unpadded. And blobs (probably a perfect description) was actually boobs.

123kitty Fri 14-Sep-18 17:48:57

I'm missing BhS. Full cup, unpacked, wide straps, 3 hooks at the back, underwired- managed to hoist my 36DD blobs off my knees to oxter hight.

NannieJan Fri 14-Sep-18 09:43:46

I’m a 34D and have also struggled to find a reasonably-priced, comfortable bra that fits round the body, doesn’t have thin straps that cut into my shoulders and looks like a bra – not upholstery. Have found the Ruby range from JD Williams fit the bill. The minimiser style is good for wearing under shirts to avoid gaping buttons blush
www.jdwilliams.co.uk/shop/1/_/N-1ytvfx8/Ntt-ruby+bra/products/show.action?hnid=10966344&type=cmr

Persistentdonor Fri 14-Sep-18 09:36:05

howtothisandthat.com/properly-measure-bra-size/

It may be that you find this measuring system as helpful as I did, though it was a shock to find that professionals measured me varying from 36B to 34D, when what actually fits properly turns out to be 34G.sad

The next problem is finding a range in that cup size! "Curvy Kate" works well for me.

ayse Fri 14-Sep-18 09:19:10

Thank you all for your comments. Some of the bra companies mentioned don’t deal in smaller sizes. I’m going on a bra hunt today and will have a look at mastectomy wear as well as the normal offerings.
As I started the thread it has made interesting reading. It looks as if some folk like me have found over. The years the amount of elasticity and number of hooks ion the back have been reduced, ie from 3 to 2. As nanny people have mentioned the bra comes off at home and TBH I don’t really need a bra but I’ll on special occasions I’d like something to give some shape as many clothes hang better with some underpinnings.
The other thing is that because I breastfed my children, my nipples t ind to poke out, or wink as my daughter says. I feel I am too old to go round ‘winking’ at people!

DanniRae Fri 14-Sep-18 08:52:28

I too take my bra off when I am in the sitting room, without taking off my clothes, but if I am wearing a 'pull-on' one it's not easy - especially if I am wearing a tunic top. But it's worth the struggle for the blessed relief!!!
BTW Bravissimo don't go up to a 42" and I think that's the size I need now.

JujuD Fri 14-Sep-18 08:52:21

To find the correct bra size, measure around your chest UNDER your boobs, add 4 inches. eg measurement is 32" plus 4" is 36", this is the bra size. The cup size is calculated by measuring the fullest part of the breast. The difference will give the cup size as follows:-
+3" B cup, +4" C cup, +5 " D cup.
As these measurements are usually taken whilst wearing a bra, the cup size usually ends up as the cup size you are wearing at the time. You will need to try on one cup size smaller and larger to get a good fit. Hope this helps!

annep Fri 14-Sep-18 08:40:37

Thanks for advice re different brands. I shall certainly try them next time I shop. I agree with Lewie and wonder why we wear them at all. I have fibromyalgia and the weight (I am normal size ) gives me pains and then the bra hurts too. So its sometimes on..off..on! Also if you are very well endowed, not wearing a bra can cause back problems. However in the majority of cases I think women could do without bras. They are so hot in summer too! We've never been truly liberated from them. I know many females refuse to wear high heels. So maybe some time in the future ....

mazgoli Fri 14-Sep-18 08:37:40

I always go to Bravissimo and find that their bras and their staff are wonderful.

ooonana Fri 14-Sep-18 03:09:17

Hi folks, I know there aren’t many outlets in the country but if you have Bravissimo in your are they are superb at finding a good fit.

farmgran Fri 14-Sep-18 02:57:39

Do you have Berlei bras in the UK? They are the most comfy well fitting bras known. The one I like has a small amount of padding, underwire and no lace. Smooth all over like a t shirt. I tried buying a bra at M n S on a trip to Britain. All of the bras were awful!

Lewie Fri 14-Sep-18 01:55:30

For years I thought I was a 36B but after a fitting at a local shop discovered I am actually a 36C. I buy the same basic Triumph bra in that size and it fits me to perfection. I always found that M & S bras never fitted my cup size properly.
I only actually wear a bra when I leave the house (I hate them - must have been invented by men) and remove mine at the earliest opportunity ?

Shizam Fri 14-Sep-18 00:43:46

Also. You may be suffering from my problem where I can no longer stand to wear a bra for more than a few hours. Have the same problem with shoes. But will add. Rigby and Peller do amazing fits for bras, even if I can only stand them for a while. Same goes for my sports bra!

ElaineRI55 Fri 14-Sep-18 00:13:41

I was wearing 38 or 40 C/D, using measurements from M&S, but two different Debenhams stores said I was 36F or FF which I didn't believe at first but have found they definitely fit better. I bought Fantasie and Gorgeous makes and also one from Tesco.
Have yet to find a non-wired one that gives a flattering shape though.
Like Annep, I often take mine off in the evening (also without removing my top) or don't wear one if I'm just going to be at home all day.
I do sometimes wonder whether most of us are actually more comfy not wearing a bra at all and have to ask myself why we bother!

lilypollen Thu 13-Sep-18 23:33:41

Admit I haven't read all the previous posts but for several years I've bought the same size bra from M and S and my weight hasn't altered. Bought 2 last month and they are on the tight side. Afraid I put this down to another of Marks's current lack of quality control.

annep Thu 13-Sep-18 23:01:31

Dont wash in hot water or dry on direct heat. shrinks bras.
I agree. I often take mine off on the settee. I'm a dab hand at removing it without removing my top!

lemongrove Thu 13-Sep-18 22:38:53

I handwash bras, individually, the only way to keep them white [or other colours true] and it helps keep their shape and longer life too.

Purplepoppies Thu 13-Sep-18 22:33:46

Apparently you're only meant to have your bra done up on the last hooks. Can't remember where I heard that advice or if it's true?
I'm a 44dd and only buy from m&s. I wasn't measured there though, I really can't remember where I was measured! I buy bras with non slip straps, I'm not symmetrical and they really help. But there's nothing nicer than taking my bra off at the end of the day ?

annep Thu 13-Sep-18 22:28:31

I am a 36b but I have a broad back. I bought bra extenders in neutral white and black which are confy to wear. I usually buy M&S but I have found some good fitting ones in other shops. I think you have to just keep trying them on.