Gransnet forums

AIBU

Curly hair underrepresented ?

(32 Posts)
Bridgeit Wed 19-Sep-18 11:21:39

Apparently, naturally curly haired people are Underrepresented on Television. Also (apparently )woman have been straightening their curly hair to fit in.
Who actually notices these things. how many surveys would be needed to prove this statement as a fact, society has gone mad !

mrsmopp Wed 26-Sep-18 17:08:11

Curly hair has not been fashionable since Shirley Temple! My Mum was forever telling me I would save a fortune because I wouldn't have to pay for expensive perms. Long straight hair has been fashionable since the sixties -remember Cathy McGowan? And it's still in fashion.
What are we curly girls to do?

Newatthis Wed 26-Sep-18 17:44:09

Having been born with dead straight hair I had to suffer Tweeny Twink home perms (anyone remember these?) year after year, as my mum just wanted a daughter to have curls (there were four daughters all with straight hair). In all my school photos I have curls (permed!!). I would love natural curls, but to too curly. My daughters have a natural 'bend' in their hair which holds their styles very well but I have to sit for hours in heated rollers just to give a little volume!

Newatthis Wed 26-Sep-18 17:45:04

this should be 'not too curly'

MargaretX Wed 26-Sep-18 20:33:43

I grew up with my mother saying ' a few curls do a lot for a plain face' and it is true and I often see such plain faces on TV when a few curls would have helped.

MissAdventure Thu 27-Sep-18 00:27:54

That's probably why my mum used to make me sleep wearing curlers.

Grandma2213 Thu 27-Sep-18 01:15:56

I have always had straight hair for the record, though sadly now losing it!! Over the years I have had the Twink perms (two on one occasion because one wouldn't take!). That turned into a sort of wiggly frizz.

I also had a persistent hairdresser once who permed just the front bit to get the Princess Diana flick. It took almost two hours and when he brushed it out it just flopped down! (He didn't charge me!!) Then there was the Afro perm when I had to dip my head in water in the morning and let it drip dry because if I touched it the curls would disappear. It usually turned into a floppy wiggly mess by the afternoon anyway.

I still use sticky rollers on wet hair, drying for several hours, for a bit of body if I go somewhere special. This usually lasts for about an hour.

I can't understand why anyone would want to straighten their hair to make it hang like string. It doesn't suit most people anyway, especially when they are older! Hey ho, I suppose most of us want what we can't have!! hmm