Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is Jeremy Corbyn holding the Labour back?

(202 Posts)
Bridgeit Tue 25-Sep-18 18:51:51

Is it time for Jeremy Corbyn to step aside as Leader of the Labour Party? He does not seem to be engaging with a swathe of the electorate who are not historically Conservative voters, but who do not seem to be inspired to support Labour either, the Labour Party as it is at the moment does not present itself to the electorate as a viable alternative to the Conservatives. Perhaps a change of leader would make a difference .
On top of which there isn’t a credible third party, perhaps suggestions on a post card to Houses of Parliament would give them all a clue ?

Chewbacca Tue 25-Sep-18 18:55:21

Is it time for Jeremy Corbyn to step aside as Leader of the Labour Party?

Yes.

lemongrove Tue 25-Sep-18 18:59:41

YES! but not for the likes of McDonnell and quite a few of the shadow front bench.

minesaprosecco Tue 25-Sep-18 19:03:44

Unfortunately, I have to agree that he needs to step aside. I voted for him in the leadership election as I thought (and still think) that he genuinely has the interests of ordinary people at heart. But he really isn't a leader. Having heard Keir Starmer at a recent meeting, I think he would be ideal to take over. Not really sure about anyone else, but it needs to be someone with gravitas, who can really persuade the electorate that Labour can manage the economy while helping those who need support from the state.

Diana54 Tue 25-Sep-18 19:39:35

The present Labour leaders are unelectable because many traditional labour voters, like me are not going to follow them. In addition by deselecting MPs that do not tow the Corbyn line the whole party is moving further to the left.

Once this Brexit mess is sorted out one way or the other there will be a new left of centre party emerge and the communist led Labour Party we have now will have destroyed itself.

oldbatty Tue 25-Sep-18 19:50:09

I liked that man with all the hair, Keir. I like the cut of his gib.

Jane10 Tue 25-Sep-18 19:53:55

Yes. I think Keir Starmer is the way ahead for Labour.

Anniebach Tue 25-Sep-18 19:54:43

I have said it often and taken flack for it. We are witnessing the end of the true Labour Party.

lemongrove Tue 25-Sep-18 21:11:54

Many are now saying openly what you have been saying about Corbyn for quite a while on GN Annie so you are a trailblazer.

MawBroon Tue 25-Sep-18 21:16:51

It’s less funny than actually shameful, how you have indeed had to take the flak for it Anniebach even to the point of personal abuse and bullying, of accusations of closet Tory sympathies or the aspersions cast on your history in the Labour movement.
Nobody can bame you if you said “I told you so” now.

lemongrove Tue 25-Sep-18 21:18:52

Exactly!

Beau Tue 25-Sep-18 21:20:36

The thing that shocks me about Keir Starmer is that he was DPP and head of the CPS - I always naively thought those offices were 'above politics' and was so shocked that he came out as a Labour supporter and got elected as a Labour MP ?
Jeremy Corbyn suits Kippers and Tories just fine - personally I hope he's Labour leader forever ?

Anniebach Tue 25-Sep-18 21:35:27

I learned the hard way, canvassing for Labour leading up to and after the 1983 election , was at the conference when Kinnock took on the Militants , have looked at the clip on uTube, failed to spot me ?

So many have forgotten the unburied dead, the rats in the streets .

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/11/how-labours-2017-manifesto-compares-with-1983

gillybob Tue 25-Sep-18 21:45:35

Yes and he can take his cronies with him.

David Milliband would have made the best labour prime minister but for his brother sucking up to the unions.

Anniebach Tue 25-Sep-18 21:50:52

Ed didn’t suck up to the unions, they chose Ed over David because David was prominent in the Blair and Brown government

gillybob Tue 25-Sep-18 21:52:03

The unions knew they had a yes man in Ed . Which they didn’t in David.

gillybob Tue 25-Sep-18 21:53:36

Unite owned Ed Milliband. They got him into power above his brother who would have done a brilliant job.

Anniebach Tue 25-Sep-18 21:55:48

And they certainly knew who to support when Corbyn stood, we certaintly lost out there, Yvette Cooper would have won the last election

yggdrasil Wed 26-Sep-18 08:32:29

I think this thread is hypothetical. Jeremy Corbyn is leader of the party, and unlike previous leaders, he accepts that the members are the important ones. Any change of leader now would make it much more difficult to win the next election.
Whatever sort of Labour you are, you must admit we need a new attitude to the economy, which has been driven into the ground by the tories over the last decade. The longer it goes on, the worse it gets, the more money is siphoned off by those with overseas tax havens, and the harder it will be to turn things round for the benefit of the ordinary people

lemongrove Wed 26-Sep-18 08:59:10

A change of leader now ( or soon) can only help Labour’s chances at the next election, not hinder it.

TwiceAsNice Wed 26-Sep-18 09:06:19

Yes they might improve if they change leader. Jeremy Corbyn is a deplorable man and not fit to lead any party but I don't care enough because I'd never vote Labour anyway. In a different way Tony Blair was just as bad. The only labour leader I ever considered voting for was John Smith, and then the poor man went and died!

Anniebach Wed 26-Sep-18 09:06:20

Corbyn is making his speech today, usual stuff, rainbow catching. No mention of Brexit , he avoids talking of this,

Last night A Labour MP called for a national strike to bring down the government at a fringe meeting last night, this was greeted with loud cheering and applause.

Corbyn’s militant dreams may be coming true .

Forget U.K., we will be Little Russia,

humptydumpty Wed 26-Sep-18 09:55:23

Although I've been disappointed that JC has not taken a firm line over Brexit, I am amazed, frankly, that he is given no credit on this thread for the amazing turnaround in Labour support in the last election!

Anniebach Wed 26-Sep-18 09:58:53

Unfair to take credit away from Jon Lansman. And Labour lost the last election.

humptydumpty Wed 26-Sep-18 10:00:41

Annie fgs, that was expected - it was the massive reduction in the conservative majority that was so impressive.

If there were to be a different leader, my preference would definitley be Keir Starmer.