Gransnet forums

AIBU

My neighbour says we can't park

(101 Posts)
nettynan Tue 09-Oct-18 10:36:51

I don't usually post but I would really like to know if I am bing unreasonable here.

We live in a small street - maybe ten houses on each side. Parking is very rarely an issue. No one has driveways and we all have to have council permits to be able to leave our cars there as it's restricted during certain hours to stop commuters parking there all day. But we can generally park outside our homes or opposite or thereabouts whenever we want and so there are no issues.

We know most but not all of the neighbours. One evening recently we got home late and the only free space was at the end of the road outside the home of a woman we don't know.

The next day I was getting in the car and she came out of the house and started having a go at me for parking in "her" space. I explained politely that someone had parked outside my house (which wasn't an issue for me at all) so I had parked where there was a space. She kept saying I can't park there because it is hers. I explained politely that it was late and there was nowhere else and I have no issue with people parking outside my house because the permits do not specify spaces, only that we won't get a ticket for parking in the road but she was having none of it.

AIBU to be annoyed with her? No one else cares where they park as long as they can park somewhere. It is a tiny road so it's not like it is ever more than a few yards from your door anyway. Oh, and she doesn't actually have a car!!!! She likes to keep it free in case people come to visit.

NfkDumpling Thu 11-Oct-18 06:40:26

I think, Nettynan, you discovered why that parking space was the last one available on the street!

GreenGran - apparently there’s an increase in airport meet and greet parking firms who will meet you at your arrival the airport, take your car and, instead of the secure parking you believe your car is in, park it in a quiet side road. You’ll never know as you’ll be met at the airport on your return. These firms are raking it in as they never have to pay ground rent anywhere. If you’re flying off for your hols, don’t use Meet and Greet.

Moocow Thu 11-Oct-18 08:05:09

Nettynan, you discovered why that parking space was the last one available on the street!

^^exactly what dumpling said. It really is anti-social behaviour and councils should nip it in the bud by issuing warning letters immediately with permits being taken away if people do not respect their neighbours and anti social behaviour warnings being threatened by the local community police. Name & shame it's all that can stop such people. If enough neighbours alert the community police and council to what is happening they can help, do not suffer in silence.

DIL17 Thu 11-Oct-18 11:04:13

As a public street with no restrictions, anyone can park there really!

Where I live, all the flats and houses have a parking space in the car park out the back (some have garages) and there is a communal drive out the front for visitors.

My neighbour insists on parking his car in a certain space and his son also parks out there. It's frustrating as he is the first to moan if we have visitors parked there but NEVER parks in the car park or their garage.

Just continue to park where you like/can.

jura2 Thu 11-Oct-18 13:02:33

We have paid for our private parking place in front of our flat - so I do get annoyed if anyone parks on it, In the street, they have no right to expect a space to be theirs - some people even put illegal bollards!

Cabbie21 Thu 11-Oct-18 13:58:09

Two positive stories about parking.
This morning some workman pulled up with a van and trailer and started putting barriers round the area of pavement they needed to work on, blocking our drive. I went to the front door to survey the scene, and one of them straight away asked if we needed to get out and said he would move , which he did.

At our previous house, the neighbour opposite started parking outside our house. I think his idea was to leave the space outside his house for his son when he visited, which was often. We were on good terms, so I politely pointed out that if he parked outside my house, then I would have to park outside his house. He got my point, and reverted to parking outside his own house again. End of story and no hard feelings.
Not everyone is unreasonable. Some are thoughtless. Some are bloody minded.

Abbeygran Thu 11-Oct-18 17:41:59

Any thoughts on dropped kerbs?!?

annodomini Thu 11-Oct-18 18:25:02

You can't legally drive a vehicle over a pavement unless it has a dropped kerb. A dropped kerb indicates that there is an entrance to a residence or a business and it's illegal to block that entrance. I have a dropped kerb at my entrance and have only on a few occasions over 18 years found it blocked. Twice police or PCSOs have come along and left a ticket on the offender's windscreen.

jocork Thu 11-Oct-18 18:50:21

I live opposite a school so you can imagine the problems we have with parking at drop off and pick up time. I have come home to find not only no free spaces but people parked across my driveway preventing me getting in there. I have been told that if that happens the police will not do anything to help but if you are parked in your drive and someone parks across it preventing your exit it is an offence. All our driveways have white lines in the road across them indicating that they should not be obstructed.
A former neighbour came home once to find someone parking on her drive. She asked him to move and he said "No- I'll only be a few minutes." I'd actually like it if someone parked on my drive as I would then block them in myself and say that if they wanted to leave they would have to pay for parking on my land!
My former neighbour said that if it happened again she would block them in, go indoors and have a quick drink and then say she couldn't move her car as she'd drunk too much to drive!
On a positive note my next door neighbours, who have 3 or 4 cars, always park any that won't fit in their drive or outside their house further down the road so that I can park outside my own house, even though they are often home before me. We only take the spaces outside each other's houses if there is nowhere else, as we know which neighbours don't use the spaces outside their homes so we use their's where possible. It is just about being as helpful as possible and most of us choose to be when we can.

BBbevan Thu 11-Oct-18 18:53:52

If you have a drive with a dropped kerb it is only illegal, so a PCOS told us, to block the exit so that the householder cannot get out. In case of Fire e.g.

annodomini Thu 11-Oct-18 19:35:35

The Highway Code simply says DO NOT PARK .....in front of an entrance to a property.

PECS Thu 11-Oct-18 19:40:06

The vehicle access to my home is via a private cul-de-sac created when a small development of 6 houses were built before we lived here. Each house has a parking space, we can access our drive in and there is 1 visitor space. A cheeky commuter tried to use that for a few days free parking rather than the station car park until we (the residents) realised it was not someone visiting any of us! A polite notice on the windscreen was all it took...

PECS Thu 11-Oct-18 19:41:47

was built!

Alisha1991 Sun 14-Oct-18 04:19:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Elegran Sun 14-Oct-18 09:11:01

Reported again. Some spammers have thick skins.

loopyloo Sun 14-Oct-18 09:39:55

With a blocked curb, does the law say its from the start of the inclined kerb or the end of it?

Lynne59 Sun 14-Oct-18 21:41:42

What a petty person she is. She hasn't even got a car?! I'd say you should carry on parking wherever you can get a space, whether it's outside her house or not.

ElaineRI55 Sun 14-Oct-18 23:51:13

I think refusing to be intimidated and reiterating the law in a calm manner is the best approach. I would only escalate it to council/police if things get really bad and you feel you have no choice. Something similar happened to us not long after we moved house. Every house has a drive, but most families have at least two vehicles. We kept calm and told the neighbour it was a public road and my daughter would only park outside their house if someone else had already parked outside our house. On subsequently finding a note on her windscreen reiterating their displeasure, my daughter simply went to the door and repeated that she may, on occasion, park there if some else was parked outside our house and that she wouldn't participate in any games/nonsense/abuse over the parking. All calmed down and things are, thankfully, pretty much amicable now.

Gamernan Sun 21-Oct-18 13:04:10

I know what I would say to her and it wouldn’t be polite! Maybe if she had a car herself she would be more understanding. I actually live in a city with terraced houses and if I arrive home after 4 I’m lucky to be able to park within 10 mins walk of my front door, let alone in the same road which would be bliss. I have a neighbour who has 2 cars, one for visits to the allotment and the other to take the wife out . He insists on leaving one outside my neighbours or my house and gets up early in the morning to move his cars around to suit him! Drives me nuts!

Judie Sun 21-Oct-18 14:37:12

There is no legal right to park outside your own property ,any car that is licensed and taxed and, has correct permits if needed, can park on the public highway .

tickingbird Mon 28-Jan-19 12:16:03

I live on a similar type of road and parking can be difficult. There are a few let out houses with occupants that come and go so i certainly don’t know everyone. I must admit i don’t like people parking outside my house but wouldn’t dream of saying anything to them. Once i came home at 2am on the night my mother died and there wasn’t one space anywhere on the street for me to park. I had to drive around the neighbourhood to find somewhere to park and then walk home! Nobody has any rights on these roads and you’re lucky you have permit parking as many times cars are outside side my front window for days until someone moves it.

This woman has no rights whatsoever and needs to know that you are allowed to park there but try your best not to!

H1954 Fri 01-Feb-19 11:37:02

Personally, I wouldn't approach her regarding this. If she chooses to complain the council will put her right regarding parking spaces, it's my understanding that a permit is issued to park a vehicle not to specify an allocated parking space.

All of the properties on the cul-de-sac where I live have drives long enough for two vehicles and the road is just over the width of two cars; there's also no footpath which makes it impossible to park partly on the path. The problem we have is that very few of us are sensible enough to reverse into the drive, those that choose to drive forwards onto their property then face the challenge of reversing into the road with the added obstruction to view by hedges, fences, parked vehicles and trees etc. It's quite entertaining to watch actually ?.

Those that choose to park on the road generally park against the flow of traffic; I do wonder how some of them ever passed a driving test!

esme123 Fri 01-Feb-19 13:09:18

Looking at this problem from the other side, I live on a corner and there can be up to 6 cars parked around me. I dread opening the lounge curtains in the morning as I don't know what will be parked outside!

Madgran77 Fri 01-Feb-19 13:30:07

My own neighbour is exactly the same! We all just quietly repeat that there is no ownership of the space outside our houses, that we would understand if she wished to park outside our own house as it was the only space, that we hope there is no bad feeling, etc etc She's a bit obsessive about it tbh and we try really hard not to engage to much with that. She chats quite happily other times, but the car parking is a real "thing"!! hmm

nannygoon Wed 06-Feb-19 13:44:57

She is in the wrong. She has no say on the public highway. Simple fact.

Gettingitrightoneday Sat 09-Feb-19 15:15:54

Most people do not own the parking outside their house unless you have a disabled badge. As many people know.

My daughter has to take the nearest space around the corner if nothing is available.

The neighbours all seem to understand this, First come first parked.