Gransnet forums

AIBU

Breaking news - Mansize Tissues

(103 Posts)
Bridgeit Thu 18-Oct-18 18:53:01

Just that, Mansize tissues will be no more??
Political correctness has just hit an all time low.
It is now getting beyond ridiculous.
New name :Extra Large

Magsymoo Fri 19-Oct-18 16:46:20

This is a long overdue objection to the type of gendered language that blights our discourse and subliminally moulds our attitudes. Call it political correctness if you want but not as a form of insult. PC was 'created' with the laudable aim of reducing prejudice by making us more aware of the language we use and how that contributes to harming others. In the last 20 years the way we speak about the disabled, ethnic minorities, women etc has immeasurably improved due to the PC movement.

JenniferEccles Fri 19-Oct-18 17:21:49

Of course it is Magsymoo

How DARE we have allowed certain tissues to be described as Man Sized? How terribly ignorant of us not to have been utterly horrified at the gendered language as you call it.

Thank goodness someone came along to help us see the error of our ways.

EllanVannin Fri 19-Oct-18 17:28:15

I like that JenniferEccles smile

crystaltipps Fri 19-Oct-18 17:47:45

I’m sure noone gave it a second thought back in the day but if you think about it now it is a bit ridiculous to call a paper tissue man sized. You don’t have to be “horrified” by it to realise it’s a bit unnecessary.

JenniferEccles Fri 19-Oct-18 18:02:51

Actually Richard Littlejohn (I love him) has picked up on this story in the Mail.

Apparently he wondered a while back how long it would be before the politically correct brigade picked on those inoffensive tissues. He said he had mentioned it originally as a joke !

He now wonders how long it will be before they are called Trans Size grin

oldbatty Fri 19-Oct-18 18:07:29

You love the Mail don't you Jennifer? Have you no critical faculties at all?

JenniferEccles Fri 19-Oct-18 18:26:22

Yes plenty. That is exactly why I and most others on here are criticising all this nonsense.

crystaltipps Fri 19-Oct-18 18:29:58

Why is it nonsense? What’s so great about calling something mansized rather than extra large? Is it such a big deal that you are obviously insensed about it,?

oldbatty Fri 19-Oct-18 18:35:06

never mind, read up on why Tommy Robinson was right all along. Today's helpful and interesting headline.

grumppa Fri 19-Oct-18 18:42:54

Men's cotton handkerchiefs have always been bigger than women's, so it probably seemed logical to describe tissues similarly. That's probably why they were originally called Kleenex for Men.

And of course men have traditionally used their hankies/tissues for all manner of purposes: wiping dipsticks when checking oil levels, polishing shoes, wiping mirrors on car doors, coping in DIY and hobby emergencies. Activities which require something larger and thicker than standard tissues. Not to mention Artful Dodgering....

Bridgeit Fri 19-Oct-18 18:44:45

Perhaps we need to check & compare the average gender Nose sizes, if men’s noses are predominately larger than women’s ,produce more content & require more blowing then we can safely call these tissues Mansize. ?

crystaltipps Fri 19-Oct-18 19:17:06

But where’s the women size?

Jalima1108 Fri 19-Oct-18 19:20:27

grumppa
And of course men have traditionally used their hankies/tissues for all manner of purposes
And mothers used to spit on their hankies and scrub their children's faces with them!

Bridgeit DH and I are still debating that point.

Jalima1108 Fri 19-Oct-18 19:20:43

sorry
grumppa

NfkDumpling Fri 19-Oct-18 21:01:00

Could someone tell why there is Just for Men hair dye? Exactly what is the difference? Will my hair fall out if I were to use it?

Bridgeit Fri 19-Oct-18 21:12:35

Very good point Nfkdumpling , perhaps you would turn into a man?

Bridgeit Fri 19-Oct-18 21:15:04

Crystaltip, you know we are not important enough to have our own size, we just have what’s left over from the Mansized ones ??

Magsymoo Fri 19-Oct-18 21:24:11

Tbh I'm not that bothered what the tissues are called but I do wish some people would stop labelling every little attempt at making life a little bit more equal as 'political correctness' - usually 'gone mad' or part of a 'brigade'. PC is simply an attempt to show courtesy and good manners to all, to treat people with dignity and equality. Not qualities always associated with certain parts of the media.

crystaltipps Fri 19-Oct-18 21:47:30

I think there is just for men hair dye etc to try to flog stuff to men who wouldn’t buy anything that women might use.

Bridgeit Fri 19-Oct-18 21:56:14

Yes I think you are right there Crystaltips - it has to sound manly for them to buy it ?

Bridgeit Fri 19-Oct-18 21:56:48

Or they ask a woman to get it ?

Dolcelatte Sat 20-Oct-18 07:30:07

I would buy them whatever they were called and I've never thought about it. However, now you come to mention it, 'Man size' does sound a bit silly and 1950s. I expect it is just the marketing department trying to make the product sound more up to date.

PECS Sat 20-Oct-18 10:09:44

Like magsy I support the true PC world. It is about improving fairness and equality. Sometimes the reactionary press/ media get worried by increasing fairness and equality and like to undermine those values by ridiculing some laudable concepts and actions. They use headlines like "PC gone mad". Usually when you read deeper into the issue you discover the truth which is often not what the headline suggests. The media know how to get the reaction they want!
Re Man Size tissues vs Large tissues. This is nothing to do with PC but all to do with increasing sales & profit.

Jalima1108 Sat 20-Oct-18 10:32:17

Were Man-size tissues designed for those who get Man Flu?

teabagwoman Sat 20-Oct-18 13:22:09

Mags and PECS, I’m with you, totally. I did write a post but for some reason it hasn’t appeared. It said pretty much what you are saying. It is easy to ridicule a serious issue by pushing it to extremes but we shouldn’t fall for it.