Gransnet forums

AIBU

Breaking news - Mansize Tissues

(103 Posts)
Bridgeit Thu 18-Oct-18 18:53:01

Just that, Mansize tissues will be no more??
Political correctness has just hit an all time low.
It is now getting beyond ridiculous.
New name :Extra Large

Rufus2 Wed 24-Oct-18 07:49:01

Rufus, only if have some Man sized extra large tissues!!
Bridgeit; Come again!? You're confusing and embarrassing me; I think! blush

Bridgeit Tue 23-Oct-18 12:00:20

Rufus, only if have some Man sized extra large tissues!!

Rufus2 Tue 23-Oct-18 11:05:50

Rufus, would that ( 1, 2, 3, ? ) previous owners but still in good condition
Bridgeit; Careful! If I open up on this one HQ will chuck me out! grin I'm not trying to upstage Frankie (he finished up marrying 4 of them!), and I can't sing like him, but I've been re-conditioned, refurbished, my odometer has not been wound back (if only!) and I come with a one week-end unconditional warranty with free bed-side assistance, in the event of a breakdown. No tyre-kicking allowed and definitely no test drives. I know what you tom-boys are like, too rough!
Interested? No! I thought not. Hard Luck grin

Jalima1108 Mon 22-Oct-18 23:50:50

Yes, they were buried in pits, first in churchyards then in surrounding countryside when they ran out of room.

annodomini Mon 22-Oct-18 23:21:43

Are children unable to learn about ashes as in the burning of bodies? The plague?
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is any evidence that bodies of plague victims were burned. The 'plague pits' were mass graves in which bodies were interred as quickly as possible after death.
So that disposes of the argument in favour of 'ashes' in the rhyme.

Mycatisahacker Mon 22-Oct-18 22:49:51

Er I will hasten nowhere lovely I am here to stay.

I am a gran now after my last 15 years of mumsnet I have evolved.

Move over pendant/pennant/twat/ etcgrin

Jalima1108 Mon 22-Oct-18 12:02:11

grin

Bridgeit Mon 22-Oct-18 11:59:22

?Jalima, I think you have hit the nail on the head ( no offence intended to any nails?well you never know these days with PC )

Bridgeit Mon 22-Oct-18 11:56:29

Rufus, would that ( 1, 2, 3, ? ) previous owners but still in good condition ?

Jalima1108 Mon 22-Oct-18 11:29:15

If "extra large" is going to be used to replace "mansize" then it could be construed that all men are extra large.
Well, it could be construed that men's noses are extra large - which point I am still discussing with DH grin
Or that men's colds are worse than women's colds - which is why it's called Man Flu.

Logical!

Rufus2 Mon 22-Oct-18 11:21:09

Anyone agree with my thinking?
Flora; Sorry, but I can't work out what you are thinking! I'm not very good at euphemisms. sad
Be that as it may; I'm hoping to raise my voice above the cacophony of noses being blown into man-size tissues and the noises of raspberries being blown around this thread, to announce my availability as a "Toy-Boy", (not toy person!). grin Interviews are being held now, so please form an orderly queue on the right; no need to rush! wink

Bridgeit Mon 22-Oct-18 09:58:48

Absolutely agree Florabunda60

Momof3 Sun 21-Oct-18 23:59:12

There really is nothing more annoying than when people trivialise the deaths of millions of people usually for something to do with political correctness.

As it is I completely agree the whole thing around man size tissues is a little silly. I’ve always bought the ultra balm tissues

Momof3 Sun 21-Oct-18 23:48:34

Why would you expect that kind of silliness on mumsnet we’re all adults

POGS Sun 21-Oct-18 23:37:54

To be frank I simply cannot give a toss if a box of tissues is labelled as Mansized . It does neither offend or annoy me it what it is simply a marketing ploy .

No more than I give a toss if a product is labelled Mum Deodorant , Daddies Brown Sauce. Both of which I expect to be next in the firing line.

As for the ridiculous attack on Waitrose using the name ' Gentleman's sandwiches ' words fail me. Did those who complained not understand there was such a thing as Gentleman's Relish and it had nothing to do with male / female purchasing power but a recipe from almost a 100 years ago.

I swear there people out there who would have us tattooed with a bar code if they had their way .

grumppa Sun 21-Oct-18 21:14:19

Well said Flora. Men like to think of themselves as XXL

oldbatty Sun 21-Oct-18 20:18:09

" hasten" what a brilliant word.

Florabunda60 Sun 21-Oct-18 19:44:22

If "extra large" is going to be used to replace "mansize" then it could be construed that all men are extra large. That would make the new term "extra large" for tissues of said size much more offensive than the original it has been chosen to replace, wouldn't it? Anyone agree with my thinking? Would love to know!

Juggernaut Sun 21-Oct-18 18:46:07

Mycat
'Pendant', really, I think you'll find that should be 'pedant'! You can hardly blame 'fat finger syndrome' for that one can you?
I shall leave you to your opinions now, but recommend that you hasten back over to mumsnet, where I am sure you will find people of a mindset similar to your own.

Mycatisahacker Sun 21-Oct-18 18:33:39

You are a grammar pendant on the subject of the holocaust! Wow just wow!

And you do realise people use their iPhones and sometimes hit the wrong letter.

Good grief I might expect that level of silliness on mumsnet but on gransnet!

Juggernaut Sun 21-Oct-18 17:54:55

Mycat
Normally I wouldn't dream of picking anyone up on their spelling or grammar, but as you are so fired up about all historical facts being reported and remembered acurately, it's not 'hollicause', but Holocaust.
The very least we owe those six million poor souls is to get the name right.

Jalima1108 Sun 21-Oct-18 12:04:20

ps

As I said google it - so I did smile

Jalima1108 Sun 21-Oct-18 12:03:05

The line Ashes, Ashes in colonial versions of the rhyme is claimed to refer variously to cremation of the bodies, the burning of victims' houses, or blackening of their skin, and the theory has been adapted to be applied to other versions of the rhyme. In its various forms, the interpretation has entered into popular culture and has been used elsewhere to make oblique reference to the plague
^Folklore scholars regard the theory as baseless for several reasons^:
The plague explanation did not appear until the mid-twentieth century.The symptoms described do not fit especially well with the Great Plague
The great variety of forms makes it unlikely that the modern form is the most ancient one, and the words on which the interpretation are based are not found in many of the earliest records of the rhyme
European and 19th-century versions of the rhyme suggest that this "fall" was not a literal falling down, but a curtsy or other form of bending movement that was common in other dramatic singing games

Take your pick from the words in the link anyone who is interested:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_a_Ring_o%27_Roses

Atishoo

Mycatisahacker Sat 20-Oct-18 23:18:29

old

Struggling to understand your post

Jalima1108 Sat 20-Oct-18 23:03:42

Eyam is a very interesting and slightly sad place.
I found the play upsetting