Gransnet forums

AIBU

Do you think he did the right thing?

(89 Posts)
petitpois Fri 26-Oct-18 15:07:36

Lord Hain that is, not Phillip Green. I get very annoyed by those with money thinking they can behave however they please because they can just pay for people's silence. angry

kittylester Fri 26-Oct-18 15:19:57

I agree with you but I am not happy with someone taking the law into their own hands as Peter Hair did - so I'm conflicted!

Jalima1108 Fri 26-Oct-18 15:39:51

They are allegations so may not be true.

I am conflicted too - whilst I do not believe that someone should be able to bring undue influence to bear to hide such behaviour, on the other hand other men's lives have been ruined by unfounded allegations being spread about them in the media.

If there is a case for Green to answer, is court not the right place to do so?

Jalima1108 Fri 26-Oct-18 15:41:02

court ie I mean the judicial system

Fennel Fri 26-Oct-18 15:42:29

I think he did right.
Otherwise the blame would be put on many others, and the gossip would spread like wildfire.

Ilovecheese Fri 26-Oct-18 15:47:09

That's a good point fennel Alan Sugar had to deny that it was him.

M0nica Fri 26-Oct-18 15:57:34

kittylester. I am with you. I can see the arguments for both sides and agree with bothconfused.

However now that I read here that other people were being named for this and have had to make denials and given that I do not think bullies should be able to coerce their victims into signing non-disclosure agreements and then use these as a reason for not being named, the scales are tipping ever so slightly towards Peter Hains - but I am still uneasy.

Anniebach Fri 26-Oct-18 16:01:22

I agree with Peter, untill there is a change in the law and no one is named because of allegations. He didn’t take the law into his own hands, he spoke under Parliamentary Privilege.

Jalima1108 Fri 26-Oct-18 16:01:42

I haven't read much about it yet - is that what Green did, ie coerce alleged victims into signing non-disclosure agreements?

It is wrong if others are getting the blame and denying it can even fan the flames even more, although I cannot imagine Alan Sugar sexually harassing anyone.

Lazigirl Fri 26-Oct-18 16:14:14

I too am conflicted. I really hate the fact that wealthy & powerful employers can use NDAs in effect to gag people. However I believe that this was a temporary injunction with public interest to be decided at trial, so I don’t think the law should be pre-empted in this way. Perhaps the question we should be asking is about NDAs?

M0nica Fri 26-Oct-18 16:18:14

There was an interview on Radio 4 with a woman who had been attacked by Harvey Weinstein and complained and was put in a position where she was told she either had to file a criminal prosecution against Weinstein, with no support and the big guns against her and her reputation torn to shreds, or make a financial claim for being forced out of her job by the accusations (which she did not want to do) and sign a no-disclosure agreement, which eventually she did.

I can see nothing in that that wouldn't happen in the UK in a case like Kings. Bully the accuser until they accept a financial pay off for the loss of their job with a mandatory non-disclosure clause.

eazybee Fri 26-Oct-18 16:45:02

I believe that the application of No Disclosure Agreements used by Philip Green's lawyers is at present under investigation, and that Peter Hain's action in naming Philip Green has now compromised this.
I am not clear what his motivation is.

Anniebach Fri 26-Oct-18 16:51:47

Just said on the news Peter is an advisor to the lawyers who work for the Telegraph . Can it be the person he spoke to was an alleged victim .

POGS Fri 26-Oct-18 18:03:15

I do not agree with Peter Hain.

The use of Parliamentary Privilege was used by Deputy Leader of the Labour Party Tom Watson in October 2012 to allege there was a peaodophile ring in Westminster.

As we all know Watson went on to make life hell for many Tory MP's such as Leon Brittan and Watson's at times scurrilous claims were proven to be lies. I don't think many were not convinced Watson was doing damage to reputations probably for political reasons.

Peter Hain used Parliamentary Privilege because he knows he cannot be held accountable for what he says, like those who have used Parliamentary Privilege before him.

It is the case 3 judges made a decision based on evidence and Hain has overruled their decision. There is more than one party involved in the Non Disclure Agreement and there is no apparent consideration by Hain as to their wanting to remain anonymous as per the Non Disclosure Agreement they too signed. I feel sorry for them if they now become publicly known because of Hain.

I cannot help but think of the naming and shaming of Phillip Green and how Parliament has behaved over the Dame Laura Cox Inquiry into bullying and harassment in Parliament. Hypocrisy? Yes a tad in my mind.

It leaves a nasty taste in the mouth to know wealthy people can ' pay off ' some, not all, with money to possibly cover up their wrong doing. It also leaves a nasty taste in the mouth Parliamentary Privilege can be used as easy too and not always as innocently as it first appears at times.

Both Parliamentary Privilege and Non Disclosure Agreements need looking into because it is evident you can't have both.

Jalima1108 Fri 26-Oct-18 18:50:36

I cannot help but think of the naming and shaming of Phillip Green and how Parliament has behaved over the Dame Laura Cox Inquiry into bullying and harassment in Parliament. Hypocrisy? Yes a tad in my mind.
Yes, that is true, it is hypocritical POGS. Some MPs have allegedly used NDAs, as has the BBC and other institutions.

How can we hope to stop harassment and bullying when it is all swept under the carpet by using what is essentially bribery?

lemongrove Fri 26-Oct-18 19:16:19

On balance, I think Hain was wrong to speak out in this case.

Cold Fri 26-Oct-18 20:19:27

I don't like the fact that super-injunctions can be obtained by the rich in order to gag the news of allegations. The law should be equally applied to everyone - either noone should be named or everyone should be named

Anniebach Fri 26-Oct-18 20:25:44

It is reported it cost Green half a million

Jalima1108 Fri 26-Oct-18 20:38:24

either noone should be named or everyone should be named

Should anyone be named at all if not charged with any offence?

On reflection, I think that Hain was wrong.

Jalima1108 Fri 26-Oct-18 20:39:48

I should add that I in no way condone anything that anyone who has coerced people into signing NDAs may have done and that Green is amongst my least favourite people. However, that is because of his other actions.

anniegold195 Fri 26-Oct-18 20:51:58

Hain has been a troublemaker since he became a politician. Google his past actions. Green has enough evidence to shame him on many occasions.

Anniebach Fri 26-Oct-18 20:52:01

Green being able to silence the press could affect other women who have been abused from coming forward if their abuser is wealthy.

Jalima1108 Fri 26-Oct-18 20:56:40

Well, I can't say that I agree with you about Peter Hain anniegold195, but I'm not sure that he has done the right thing in this case.

My main concern is that, should there be any further enquiries or procedures at any point, this could prejudice a possible trial.

Jalima1108 Fri 26-Oct-18 20:58:07

Green has enough evidence to shame him on many occasions.
Does Green know the meaning of the word shame *anniegold195^?
I would be surprised if he did.

Anniebach Fri 26-Oct-18 20:58:39

What evidence does Green have ?