Gransnet forums

AIBU

Spitting feathers

(61 Posts)
tanith Fri 02-Nov-18 14:12:46

I’m so mad? had a small prang in my car this morning not my fault a silly man pulled into the side of me on a roundabout, he apologised and we exchanged details, that’s not what I’m mad about though.
Rang my insurers and made the claim on my policy which is up for renewal in 2 days, so while on the phone I said might as well accept the new quote and while we’re at it please remove my late husband from the policy, BIG MISTAKE, apparently because I no longer have a spouse on my policy the premium is recalculated and it’s gonna cost an extra £80! Oh my can’t believe but the girl said it doesn’t seem right but that’s what all insurance companies do. I told her I’d be looking elsewhere. ???

jaylucy Sun 04-Nov-18 11:50:38

Wonder if it works the other way ?
The reduction because of the premium when adding another driver is purely a sales thing (along the lines of buy one get one free)
Each person should be taken on their own merits and premiums worked out on that.

Marieeliz Sun 04-Nov-18 12:15:33

My brother was on my policy, he lived £259 miles away but it saved me money, occasionally when I went to visit he drove as he knew the area better. When he died, I had no one I could put on, only my friend who is 4 years older than me. 84. She has a good driving record though so my premium was less.

Sussexborn Sun 04-Nov-18 12:30:25

Things have actually improved somewhat! When my friend’s husband died the call centre operative insisted he must speak to him in person. Assuming a misunderstanding she tried explaining again and AGAIN. She then asked to speak to his supervisor who told her that the young man was right!! Eventually the company apologised and sent her flowers and a reduced premium! She has a fairly dark sense of humour but was laughing and crying when she told me about this. She must have felt that she had fallen down a rabbit hole and landed in Lalaland!

maddyone Sun 04-Nov-18 13:42:29

Sussexborn, that story is both sad and funny at the same time. It doesn’t say much for our education system that a call operative can insist on speaking to a dead person, and even be backed by the supervisor does it?

Riggie Sun 04-Nov-18 14:01:28

Several people I know who have been removing spouses or otherwise changing insurance have saved a lot of money by using a local bricks and mortar broker

balloonlady Sun 04-Nov-18 21:16:00

I know the feeling, recently our car insurance was up for renewal.As we had disposed of one car on a multi policy I was informed that I had to pay an extra £100 + talk about adding insult to injury. There are still two drivers and less risk with one car , so how can they justify it?? angry

naheed Mon 05-Nov-18 22:05:26

I'd try price comparator website to find alternative insurance company to compare prices.

tanith Tue 06-Nov-18 07:34:23

naheed I’ve already tried that and the first one on the list was the same company at almost the new price they quoted me, all the others on the list were higher so it was a waste of time. My GS said to try putting him on my policy so I may try that. At least the man who hit me admitted liability straight away.

cornergran Tue 06-Nov-18 07:42:31

Slightly off thread I know sussexborn but your friend isn’t alone. The same thing happened to a close friend trying to change credit card details after her husband died. She even had a letter explaining why it was necessary. Beyond belief.

Hope there’s a solution tanith, no sense to car insurance is there?

notanan2 Tue 06-Nov-18 11:12:18

Have you tried phoning them up and asking them to match your old price? I have always lowered my quote by ringing and asking