Gransnet forums

AIBU

No more Snowmen on CBeebies ?

(100 Posts)
Bridgeit Mon 05-Nov-18 12:32:39

They are to be called Snowpeople, (allegedly)

Good idea, ?does it matter or has political correctness gone overboard?
Where will it all end, can you imagine Gransnet of the future, opinions & differences will not be tolerated.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 06-Nov-18 13:30:00

It appears there are folk incapable of ' getting themselves a life '.If I complained that my area's regular 'postman' ,who appeared to be male with beard and moustache so to all appearances was a male and had left my parcel out in the rain, which then would be the far greater issue . I had referred to that person as a male not as a person?, or that my parcel was damaged. through that 'person's lack of care.

Foxyferret Tue 06-Nov-18 13:39:59

I live in Peoplechester and we have a great football team People United. I went for a walk today, (our car has something wrong with the people fold). My OH couldn’t go as he has people flu but I did not question his people hood. My clever friend came with me, clever because she speaks fluent people darin and plays a mean people dolin. On the lake we saw a lovely people drake, feathers all fluffed up. She was telling me about her many holidays, she has seen a people drill in the wild and visited people groves. She told me that her neighbour has been accused of people slaughter but didn’t think the prosecution had the right person. Leaving the park onto the pavement, unfortunately she fell down a people hole. I think it should be peopledatory to make these dangers more visible. Maybe the next government could put it in their peoplefesto.

Marthjolly1 Tue 06-Nov-18 13:58:31

sueDomin that has given me the best laugh I've had for quite sometime; thankyou

oldbatty Tue 06-Nov-18 14:02:03

*Someone who is politically correct believes that language and actions that could be offensive to others, especially those relating to sex and race, should be avoided.

A politically correct word or expression is used instead of another one to avoid being offensive*

SueDonim Tue 06-Nov-18 14:30:51

I'm glad my post has given some folks a laugh but I can't lay claim to having created it! grin It was a copy & paste job from Facebook.

oldbatty Tue 06-Nov-18 14:32:47

Ah well, a few years ago we were talking about p** and p****.

maryhoffman37 Tue 06-Nov-18 14:41:01

SueDonim, I hate that!

Foxyferret Tue 06-Nov-18 15:15:44

SueDonim, your post inspired me to write my post. Glad you liked it.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 06-Nov-18 15:29:24

My first thought was that if snowmen are to be called snowpeople, the next thing will be an Act of Parliament decreeing that children must make an equal number of snowmen and snowwomen! After all, how often do you see a snowwoman?

4allweknow Tue 06-Nov-18 15:36:02

Loved that Suedonin. Hadn't seen the posting before.

hulahoop Tue 06-Nov-18 16:12:32

The worlds gone mad ?Pity some people have nothing else in their little world, love the poetry sue and all other funny posters

Blinko Tue 06-Nov-18 16:13:44

Snowpeople - they already have a song: There'snow people like snow people, like snow people I know...

PECS Tue 06-Nov-18 16:31:29

suedonim ???

tiggers Tue 06-Nov-18 16:32:47

Oh pleeeeese!!!!! save us from this insanity.

So no more snowman. What about Father Christmas? Is he actually a father to be named thus? and, if so, what are the names of all of his children?

Bridgeit Tue 06-Nov-18 16:38:03

Gender fluid human dressed in red ( no offence to other colours) creeping into children’s bedrooms leaving gifts in a stocking !!

PECS Tue 06-Nov-18 16:38:59

I do believe that language is powerful. Sometimes both careless and deliberate use of language causes hurt, reinforces stereotypes, limits aspiration etc. If we can make life better for people by thinking about the impact of our words isn't that a good thing?

PamelaJ1 Tue 06-Nov-18 16:40:42

Greengran??

Bridgeit Tue 06-Nov-18 16:42:46

Ohh I had missed Greengrans post, brilliant absolutely brilliant.

Bridgeit Tue 06-Nov-18 16:47:45

Sorry Grannyannie, the BBC says that CBeebies,( children’s programme) will now refer to Snowmen as Snowpeople

oldbatty Tue 06-Nov-18 17:27:00

Whoa there PECS, who do you think you are coming on here with that kind of crazy comment?

A few years ago terms like Pak** were considered a bit of banter. Language can hurt.

I would be interested to know if anybody at all ever has been taken to task for saying Baa baa black sheep or Snow men, or if infact it is just a load of old nonsense.

oldbatty Tue 06-Nov-18 17:28:34

Pity some people have nothing else in their little world

thats quite an assumption.

Aepgirl Tue 06-Nov-18 18:07:36

Totally fed up with all political correctness.

PECS Tue 06-Nov-18 18:19:57

Political correctness is simply a phrase used to put down moves to promote greater equity and kindness.
Why do we not have snowwomen ?

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Nov-18 18:23:59

Why do we not have snowwomen ?

Because women have more sense than to stand out in the freezing cold getting covered in snow.

Sexist remark - sorry.
I hang my head in shame blush

Grandma70s Tue 06-Nov-18 18:25:06

Snowpeople sounds all right to me, but snowperson doesn’t. We don’t refer often to a ‘person’, but we say ‘people’ all the time, so it seems more natural.