Gransnet forums

AIBU

No more Snowmen on CBeebies ?

(100 Posts)
Bridgeit Mon 05-Nov-18 12:32:39

They are to be called Snowpeople, (allegedly)

Good idea, ?does it matter or has political correctness gone overboard?
Where will it all end, can you imagine Gransnet of the future, opinions & differences will not be tolerated.

PECS Tue 06-Nov-18 18:25:54

At least some little girls may feel they count as much as boys! ☃️ only male snowpeople emoticons but ?‍♂️?‍♀️?‍♂️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♀️???‍♂️?‍♀️

MeltingMacaron Tue 06-Nov-18 18:54:07

Flip this over and think about how often we use the word person when we actually mean man or woman and the gender is clear.

Alan is a very kind person.
Anne is a very private person.

Language is flexible.

Grandma70s Tue 06-Nov-18 19:20:37

Yes, but we probably wouldn’t say “Who is that person?”. We would say”Who are those people?”.

It’s probably too complicated to go into!

Bridgeit Tue 06-Nov-18 21:49:52

Love It Jalima ?

Day6 Wed 07-Nov-18 01:54:41

SueDonim - thank you so much for the how to offend everyone by building a snowman tale. Very funny but oh so spookily familiar.

It does highlight, dare I say it, the snowflakery of certain individuals who seem to seek out offence. We ought to start getting offended by those screaming "I am offended!" at every turn. It's reaching ridiculous levels. We'll be monitored by the thought and speech police soon.

Let's nip the silliness in the bud.

huang Wed 07-Nov-18 06:14:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

barbaranrod Wed 07-Nov-18 08:17:41

oh that made me smile first thing in the morning SueDonin ,certainly gives you food for thought though ,what is our country coming to?, so sad when our laws give in to a few small minded people ,perhaps in the future ,the words men and women will be abolished and we ,instead must always be called "a people person "

PECS Wed 07-Nov-18 08:20:01

I might not be personally offended by some use of language that I feel is inappropriate so I would still challenge it. I have changed some words in children's rhymes to open them up for all children, e.g Five little men in a flying saucer to Five astronauts in a flying saucer. I am no " snowflake" nor " politically correct" unless that means promoting better equity anfd fairness ..then I am!

tiggers Wed 07-Nov-18 08:39:30

Yes, language is very powerful.

It is also a means of self-expression, self being the operative word. Self-expression does not have to be thoughtless.

However, we should not all have to be placed in/accept the same verbal straight-jacket.

Otherwise "1984" methinks? - (the novel, not the year obviously).

On a lighter note - do we now have to change song lyrics as well as nursery rhymes?

"Person In Red", "Person Mia"...

PECS Wed 07-Nov-18 09:27:25

tiggers self expression can be thoughtful. I expect a lot of thought goes into the speeches given by political / religious/ individuals who want to incite disruption and division in society as much as goes into speeches givenn by those that want to encourage harmony, unity and peace.

tiggers Wed 07-Nov-18 09:55:24

PECS - yes, speeches.

I was referring to self-expression in one's everyday use of language.

Language is an ever-evolving entity - look no further than new words coming into common usage e.g. armography (courtesy of Craig Revell Horwood) and, as mentioned today on TV, "single-use" as in single use plastic.

What I do object to is being coerced/forced by the minority to accept any PC which is over-the-top!

On that note, I shall be building a snowman in the garden with my grandchildren this Winter (snow/white flakes/angels' feathers - call it what you will - permitting).

PECS Wed 07-Nov-18 09:57:34

If we get enough snow we will build a snow couple..yet to decide their gender..will leave it up to the DGC! ?

tiggers Wed 07-Nov-18 12:38:40

More PC Song lyrics -

"Frosty The Snowperson"...

Let sanity.prevail.

SueDonim Wed 07-Nov-18 13:50:17

I wonder if Raymond Briggs's The Snowman will be expunged from out televisions. Maybe children will be visited by Parent Christmas instead of Father Christmas.

notanan2 Wed 07-Nov-18 14:14:53

Meh

I made snow cats.. snow babies... snow daddies... snow mummies..

They ARE snow people / snow pets whats the big deal?

notanan2 Wed 07-Nov-18 14:18:10

I wonder if Raymond Briggs's The Snowman will be expunged from out televisions. Maybe children will be visited by Parent Christmas instead of Father Christmas.

None of that is happening.
Just because some people CHOSE to say snowperson, doesn't mean you can't say snowman!

Look:
SNOWMAN SNOWMAN SNOWMAN
.....oooo here I still am! Not arrested for saying snowman!

You remain as free to say snowman as those prefer snowperson/snoworganism are to call them what they prefer

Bridgeit Wed 07-Nov-18 15:28:27

But for how long Notanan2 ?⛄️

lemongrove Wed 07-Nov-18 17:55:41

Only until Christmas Brid tchgrin

SueDonim Wed 07-Nov-18 18:04:32

And not before 1st December, Lemon!

Maybe I should have included a wink in my previous post.

PECS Wed 07-Nov-18 18:25:47

Of course you won't change Frosty the Snowman. Frosty the character was, in this case a snow*man*! That is the PI stance.

It is not about denying men/women exist it is about not assuming that the default position is male!

LullyDully Wed 07-Nov-18 19:34:21

PECS may I say you are talking good sense. Mountains and molehills come to mind.

lemondrizzle Sun 11-Nov-18 01:56:18

I despair for all peoplekind.

POGS Sun 11-Nov-18 10:20:22

I will continue to use the word snowman and if others want to use the word snow person that's up to them because I wouldn't impose my view , I just wish that was reciprocated.

The point is we have a ' choice ' but as things are going our 'choice ' is being eroded time and time again and on some very trite occasions.

The reason why political correctness is used as a term is because of some of the the inane decisions and scenarios that causes so much angst to some are petty minded to others. The concern some hold and wanting to ensure the words ' man / woman ' are obliterated / not used as though they are some sort of derogatory / incorrect descriptions it is not my idea of a sensible way of proving a point .

No doubt the time will come when ' snow people ' will be challenged and we will have to call a snow people ' a character of non human form made out of snow ' because somebody will find it derogatory to associate a ' snow person ' as a human .

Bridgeit Sun 11-Nov-18 20:50:17

Pecs , how do you know he is a a he , I thought the carrot ? was his nose ?