Gransnet forums

AIBU

Land Army, girls & now.

(34 Posts)
Telly Thu 08-Nov-18 19:02:10

My mum worked night and day during the war - in a factory during the day and a dance hostess at night. I don't think she would have coped on a farm!

Scribbles Thu 08-Nov-18 15:45:56

My mother and her sister both joined the WLA as teenagers and absolutely loved the life, once they became accustomed to the hours and the physical nature of the work. Both were city girls, born and raised in Birmingham, so it was an entirely new way of life for them. They were fortunate in being posted together to their first farm so could, at least,support each other when things went awry. In fact, the farmer and his wife were lovely people who became lifelong friends.

She loved working with animals; sticking an arm up a cow's nether regions held no horrors for her and nor did the notion of dagging sheep. It may have been due to her farm experience that she took such a practical line with her children's upbringing. We were encouraged not to be coy about physiological functions and to deal with everything in a straight forward, plain speaking manner.

In addition to working with animals, mom was a pretty competent tractor driver (she particularly enjoyed "crawlers") and mechanic.

Mom kept her "dress" uniform for many years: as a child, I was fascinated by the heavy, scratchy breeches. Somewhere, I have a photo of her, all togged up in uniform, ready for an evening out with my dad, who was then her fiancé. If I succeed in finding it, I'll post it on here.

Greyduster Thu 08-Nov-18 13:05:18

I should clarify that she was in the Land Army when she met her husband, not when we met them!hmm.

Greyduster Thu 08-Nov-18 13:03:07

We formed a very strong friendship with an American Airforce Master Sergeant and his wife who met and subsequently settled in Norfolk. She was then in the Land Army and was immensely proud of her contribution to the war effort. She went to the palace with others to get her award when the Land Girls were finally officially recognised. Like the ‘Women of Steel’ in Sheffield, they were not afraid of what was grinding hard work. They did it for the country, and that was enough. Would young women do it now? Some would for certain, but society and it’s expectations has changed so much I often find myself thinking that if we found ourselves in peril again as a nation, and there was a call to arms, the response would be very different.

Willow500 Thu 08-Nov-18 12:14:28

My MIL was in the Land Army - she'd lived in the country so I think it was work she enjoyed.

Fennel Thu 08-Nov-18 12:12:30

One of my aunties was in the Land Army, and loved it. Another aunt was a Red Cross nurse - in this country.
And another in the NAAFI.
As already said, I think most young people would soon adapt. If you read about the Boot Camp system for troubled teens etc they enjoy in the end.

Luckygirl Thu 08-Nov-18 11:40:36

My Mum was in the Land Army and was at her absolute happiest then. Being a mother was a bit weedy after that - as we all realised!

I have enormous faith in the young of today - I am sure that is the need arose they would be brilliant.

Smileless2012 Thu 08-Nov-18 11:31:52

I'd like to think that if God forbid we were ever at war, that the country would pull together now, just like it did then.

Bridgeit Thu 08-Nov-18 11:04:52

Just watched (another ) fascinating programme about these wonderful ladies.
Do they ( and other ladies of that era) get enough recognition for what they did during the War years?
And how do we think young ladies of today would respond/ cope if put in a similar position today? (Apart from those who are already in the forces )