Gransnet forums

AIBU

Would you arrive empty handed?

(136 Posts)
MawBroon Tue 13-Nov-18 00:03:46

I need to let this go, but I also need to let it out first!

I invited Paw’s brother and two sisters to lunch on Sunday as it is one year since he died and I thought they might wish to visit his grave.
It took a week before I actually got a response (Saturday afternoon) but luckily I always have the wherewithal in the freezer to put a Sunday lunch together.
Fine.
I’m not bothered on my own account but I was brought up (and I know they were too) to always take something small, flowers, chocs or a bottle -depending on who you are going to, as a gift . In German they call it a “Mitbringsel” -literally a little thing you bring. .
So no flowers for me apparently, no wine, fair enough, they are family, I thought, but when I suggested we walk up to the church to their brother’s grave I expected somebody to say Oh I’ll get the flowers from the car.
????
Nope. Nothing, Zilch. Nada
I am too chicken to say anything and I was too slow to say “innocently” “oh have you left the flowers in the car?”
When we got there they would have seen the pink roses I took on Saturday and the white roses DD laid on his grave when she came to stay. Did anybody say anything?
Did anybody hug or talk about him?
I know his sisters loved him but I was so disappointed at this lack of a gesture either to me or even to each other. confused
When they left I wished them a safe journey, asked somebody to text me to say they were back or expected to hear this morning.
Did I?
A text, phone call or email to say Thank you?
Just a bit brassed off frankly. The sisters are very kind women and help DD2 with one day a week childcare between them so I know they are not mean or rude(not so sure about BIL, he only ever thinks of himself) but I know that my own DDs would always remember to say thank you and show their appreciation. And my Mum would have given me more than an earful!
Years and years ago I had an absolute houseful over Christmas, MIL 2 SILs, BIL plus his then wife, Niece and her friend from Brazil, all staying and after they had gone MIL was the only one to drop me a note to say thank you.
???Seething just a bit!
AIBU?

MissAdventure Tue 13-Nov-18 19:37:03

Either way, its not very appropriate to try and cause an upset..
Give it a rest, Gill, please.

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Nov-18 19:35:06

I have not noticed you posting before GillyEB

Are you a new poster or someone returning under a new name?

MawBroon Tue 13-Nov-18 19:30:49

GillyEB
MawBroon, you say you are not bothered on your own account, so who’s then?Perhaps the sisters and brother are feeling pressured to visit the grave,or perhaps it wasn’t the right time for them.Why would you hint about flowers in the car? Again everyone’s beliefs are not the same
Let’s take these wild and unfounded accusations one at a time shall we?
1) I was hurt on DH’s behalf. He deserved better
2.) Inviting your DH’s siblings to lunch is not pressurising anybody
3) if you read the words I did not hint about flowers in the car
4) allow me to know family members whom I have known for over 50 years and something about their parents, upbringing, family traditions and beliefs
5) if the first anniversary of your brother’s premature death isn’t the right time - what is?
You seem to be spoiling for a fight and to both insult and hurt me. Nobody on GN (other than perhaps yourself) will be surprised to see that your minority attitude is the antithesis of the support and understanding those of us who have been widowed recently have encountered on Gransnet.
There are always some who like to be hurtful however.
What exactly do you gain from it?
Schadenfreude?
It is a very definite form ofonline bullying.

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Nov-18 19:19:40

apart from when SIL’s Lakeland tried to “hump” Hattie (ideas above his station)
shock has she been spayed?
that could be an interesting mix!

As they are rather vague I wonder if they went home again and found limp flowers and a bottle of nice vino sitting on their hall table?
Perhaps the conversation in the car went "I thought you'd picked them up" - "No, I expected you to do that".

flowers

GillyEB Tue 13-Nov-18 19:19:18

MawBroon, you say you are not bothered on your own account, so who’s then?Perhaps the sisters and brother are feeling pressured to visit the grave,or perhaps it wasn’t the right time for them.Why would you hint about flowers in the car? Again everyone’s beliefs are not the same.

Overthehills Tue 13-Nov-18 19:14:32

My BiL and his wife do things like this - to us and DH’s other family members. I think you’re very kind hearted to write it off as “eccentricity” Maw! I’m just fed up with it now and, as DH has always found this brother difficult, we avoid them (they live a long way away) when possible. I’m afraid I might actually say something about their thoughtlessness/rudeness so I think this way is best. I’m glad you’re a bigger person than me Maw and can put it behind you ...

MawBroon Tue 13-Nov-18 19:12:37

“Stir Up” not “stop up” of course.

MawBroon Tue 13-Nov-18 19:11:53

Are you trying to stop up a fight GillyEb?
I see no foundation for yourvtemark about materialistic people and their own company.
What exactly is your point?
Grandma70 I fail to understand the relevance of your particularly crass comment about gifts. Are flowers for ones DH’s grave from his siblings on the first anniversary of his death a manifestation of materialism?
Would you like to find a few more ways to insult and hurt me?

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Nov-18 19:11:47

I am surprised, all I can offer in mitigation is that perhaps they thought that flowers would make you weep. That's what a recently bereaved friend said to me once - 'if anyone brings me any more flowers I'll …… ' She didn't explain what she would do with them.

However, not bringing a gift was thoughtless and not asking if it was all right to bring flowers or a plant to put on Paw's grave was odd. sad
And a thank you as well would be thoughtful.

There's nowt so odd as folk, MawBroon

MawBroon Tue 13-Nov-18 19:04:18

Oh dear, some people should read original posts more closely shouldn’t they?
-18 12:59:30
Oh - I have to say it wouldn't occur to me to take something if I was just visiting relatives unless it was a special occasion. Not just to lunch
Pretty special to me! sad .
Well spotted Daisyboots.

GillyEB Tue 13-Nov-18 19:01:57

HERE HERE Granma70s and Lynne59 go girls totally agree with you both, yes pious is the word.Materialistic people are best left to they’re own company.

MawBroon Tue 13-Nov-18 19:00:06

Oh calm down!
I didn’t take offence but the formula “If it were me I would do....” is both a recognised way of recommending a course of action as well as a personal statement.
There is no need for anybody to get snippy or say “Shame on you” etc
Can we not please discuss without recourse to personal insults?

GillyEB Tue 13-Nov-18 18:55:58

Maggiemaybe why don’t you read the grammar of Lynne59s post! Lynne said that’s what she would do, not for Mawbroon to do it? As for lonely people out there I hope Lynne59 is not lonely and if she is SHAME on you.

Daisyboots Tue 13-Nov-18 18:46:16

So readymeals the anniversary of the death of a darling husband and a dear brother is not an occasion in your eyes? To me they were very thoughtless on a special weekend like that.

Grandma70s Tue 13-Nov-18 18:44:40

I had no idea people found gifts and flowers so important. When people visit me I want to see the people, and I wouldn’t care, or notice, if they arrived ‘empty handed’. I certainly wouldn’t expect them to bring anything. I’ve found this thread really surprising.

I do expect thanks, preferably written, if anyone stays overnight. Thanks for a meal, too, but spoken words will do for that.

Lynne59 Tue 13-Nov-18 18:23:54

Maggiemaybe.... get off your high horse for a bit, you're sounding a bit pious

MawBroon Tue 13-Nov-18 17:52:35

Just point of detail newnanny
DD had gone home after spending Saturday afternoon and night here. Actually not such a sad day by that point, I had Friday and Saturday with the girls to share our sadness.
And gillhodge they are my family and have been since DH and I married in 1970!
Seakay No I suppose I had just hoped that their social skills might have been honed over the last 20 years.
Anyway, thank you for your support.

newnanny Tue 13-Nov-18 17:24:29

They must have realized how difficult the day would be for you and your dd so not to even bring flowers for the grave is quite shocking. I could easily forgive no small gift for me, even though bad manners, but no flowers for grave I would find that hard to forgive. flowers We care Maw.

MissAdventure Tue 13-Nov-18 16:57:42

Bah! That sentence made no sense, but I knew what I meant!

MissAdventure Tue 13-Nov-18 16:51:45

I think it was thoughtless on their part, particularly to the memory of paw which is probably what hurt the most.
Then again, people can be thoughtless, which is all the more apparent after bereavement. (for me, anyway)
I'm glad you've turned the corner, its not worth getting upset about enough to keep thinking about.

gillhodge Tue 13-Nov-18 16:45:47

Sorry not to go with the flow! I think that we have to be careful not to put too much weight on gestures. It is easy to buy a box of chocs or a bunch of flowers, without really meaning anything by it. I think that the more telling thing in your situation was the lack of emotion & empathy, on an important anniversary. Something isn't right there but it's got nothing to do with manners. I think that you just have to accept that they are different from you & your family and not allow it to upset you. All the best for the future.

langelei Tue 13-Nov-18 15:58:13

Disgracefully and appalling rude all round! I am totally with you. Now smile and let it go if you can. angryflowers

Seakay Tue 13-Nov-18 15:50:59

"Years and years ago I had an absolute houseful over Christmas, MIL 2 SILs, BIL plus his then wife, Niece and her friend from Brazil, all staying and after they had gone MIL was the only one to drop me a note to say thank you"

I'm sorry you feel hurt, but given everything you have told us I can't think why you are surprised! (Unless "years and years ago" you gave some indication that you expected rather more than tacit appreciation of your hospitality in future?)

toppers Tue 13-Nov-18 15:25:04

Oh dear, I don't even think of taking something if we go to dinner within our family, it's something we have never done. We r a large family, and no one brings anything to ours when they come. I guess it's something not ever done in the past in our families. If we were invited to friends or colleagues houses then yes I guess I would take either wine/chocs/flowers but as that is a rare event I can't remember if I ever did! BUT I would always say thank u very much for the lunch/dinner etc. Again not sure about flowers for the grave, as it was only a year ago then yes I probably would.

Craftycat Tue 13-Nov-18 14:09:01

Sheer bad manners & no excuse for it being family.
I must admit we don't do flowers as all my family were cremated & have never visited as all over the country but I would not think of going for dinner without taking wine and/or flowers.
I guess it takes all sorts- just appreciate that you know the way things are done & maybe they just don;'t!