Gransnet forums

AIBU

Kick a Ginger day

(127 Posts)
Greenfinch Tue 20-Nov-18 17:41:07

I was absolutely appalled when my 11 year old DGD came home from school saying that children had been going round kicking anyone with ginger hair in school today. One boy was too scared to come to school and another had a panic attack in a lesson. Apparently it is a recognised day ,yet another import from America and one more example of the evils of the internet .I think teachers and parents need to be more aware so that it can be banned next year as a date has already been set .I feel powerless but feel sorry for all ginger haired children tonight. Some will be going to bed very unhappy. All so unnecessary and perverse

Marydoll Tue 20-Nov-18 19:31:59

Perhaps I am being over sensitive, but I also find the term ging offensive. What is a classic ging? I have never heard of a classic blonde, a classic brunette, etc.
Oh by the way I have a classic redhead's fiery temper.

Maggiemaybe Tue 20-Nov-18 19:39:50

Marydoll, that picture is truly terrifying!

TerriBull Tue 20-Nov-18 19:42:29

Sounds awful, a multiple hate crime day surely shockWhat sort of message is it putting out in a day and age when young people have committed suicide for bullying of this nature.

Marydoll Tue 20-Nov-18 19:46:19

Maggiemaybe, That is my calm face. You should see me when I'm really angry! grin

BlueBelle Tue 20-Nov-18 19:46:29

Well yet again I must live in a sleepy part of the country as this hasn’t reached us thankfully and I ver never heard of it I asked the grandkids and they d never heard of it either
Is it a big city thing ?

Iam64 Tue 20-Nov-18 20:07:10

My classic ginger was described as being one with bright ginger / red hair, very pale complexion and white /blond eyelashes, he is absolutely gorgeous on every single level. Sorry for offending you Marydoll - I used the term with pride and love given the number of red haired people in my family

M0nica Tue 20-Nov-18 20:10:26

I was at school with a girl with the most beautiful copper coloured hair. Most of us envied her, her beautiful hair, I certainly did.

At the age of 2 I was told that my hair was egg yolk orange. I gather my (much loved) grandmother had a fit at the thought of me having bright ginger hair. As it was I went brown, but always with a copper tone that was more pronounced in summer when my hair bleached in the sun.

Having been a victim of bullying, likewise DH, I would have been up at the school complaining if I ever thought anyone was being bullied. It was something I always discussed with my own DC when they were school age.

How can a school not know this was happening? Surely adults in the playground with the children at break times would have seen it happening and should have reported it.

Greenfinch Tue 20-Nov-18 20:16:29

Are there any adults supervising at scondary schools ?I think this is another sign of how stretched schools are these days.

Marydoll Tue 20-Nov-18 20:18:38

Iam64, I can see how much love you have, so I know it wasn't personal. I just hate the description, ging.
I had a head teacher, who went ballistic at the word ginger, she told everyone her hair was, titian. grin.
I still my my titian hair (albeit a lot less orange), blonde/white eyelashes and a very pale complexion. All I ever wanted was a tan. sad
I hope you love me too Iam64. smile

lemongrove Tue 20-Nov-18 20:40:03

Dinna fret Marydoll.... we at The Argy love you, especially Big Jim! grin

Teasing and bullying about ginger hair has been around for a long time unfortunately.I think it may originate from the time that Irish people emigrated and were very much looked down on.
I love all shades of ginger/auburn/ red hair, and envy it, a very small percentage of people worldwide have this colour.

merlotgran Tue 20-Nov-18 20:44:29

I sincerely hope for their sake nobody has attempted to kick my strapping 6'3" DGS. hmm

Marydoll Tue 20-Nov-18 21:03:56

grin

trisher Tue 20-Nov-18 21:05:43

Honestly some people expect miracles from schools. Children are not stupid, they know when something has to be kept quiet and they are quite capable of acting when no-one is looking. I don't suppose they broadcast the day to all and sundry, or actually attacked anyone under the teacher's nose. Things can be kept quiet and done on the sly, schools are large and understaffed.

Luckylegs9 Tue 20-Nov-18 21:11:18

How stupid. Unbelievable.

Greenfinch Tue 20-Nov-18 21:16:14

Spot on trisher.You have summed it up perfectly.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Nov-18 21:19:16

flipping heck trisher I am agreeing with you ??

Doodle Tue 20-Nov-18 21:45:42

I'm sure you are right trisher but I do know that many children are bullied in schools and the schools either do nothing or say ' There is no bullying in our school' etc, etc. Some schools have sought to exclude the victim from school as an easier option than dealing with the bullies. Bullying of any kind for whatever reason destroys confidence and can have long term impact on people. Schools can and do sort out lots of bad behaviour but there are many who pretend it isn't happening.

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Nov-18 22:41:00

I sincerely hope for their sake nobody has attempted to kick my strapping 6'3" DGS.
I think they'd come off worse if they tried to kick my DD too.
Although I'm not sure what colour she is at the moment, it changes …..

merlotgran Tue 20-Nov-18 23:23:03

Reminds me of his older brother thumping a lad on the train to 6th form for making nasty racist comments about his friend.

DGS was suspended so his like minded father made a five hour journey to attend a meeting. It was sorted in a few minutes.

Funny, that grin

merlotgran Tue 20-Nov-18 23:25:47

PS, If he graduates next year with the predicted 1st., he's wants to join the diplomatic corps. grin

SueDonim Tue 20-Nov-18 23:42:53

The kick a ginger day has been around for a few years, unfortunately. It's just an excuse for bullying, violent behaviour.

I too hate the term 'ginger'. My own version of red hair was auburn. My hair darkened to a chestnut brown after I had my first baby. I'm finally getting my reward for putting up with the schoolyard bullies. I'm in my mid-60's and my hair had very little grey in it. Maybe I'll be like my MIL, whose red locks simply faded to a beige fawn colour, even in her 90's. No grey for her!

SueDonim Tue 20-Nov-18 23:48:23

Oh, and red heads have been persecuted for centuries, as having no soul, being a witch etc.

gingerparrot.co.uk/facts-and-myths-about-red-hair/

Marydoll Wed 21-Nov-18 06:56:05

Gosh, Sue, that is so accurate!
My mother was a midwife and theatre sister and said their hearts would sink when a redhead needed a caesarean section, as they usually needed more anaesthesia and had a greater chance of haemorrhaging.
I have never died my hair and it is still auburn, much to the annoyance of my friends.
Also recently it was discovered that my vitamin D levels were non existent and I had to have huge doses to rectify that.
So we gingers should get sympathy, not a kicking! grin

Witzend Wed 21-Nov-18 07:49:20

SueDonim, that's interesting about your MiL. My mother had what they used to call strawberry-blonde hair, a sort of reddish gold. It never went grey or white even when she died at 97 - it just faded as you say.

Mind you it gave her a lot of trouble with a neighbour when she was about 80 - still more or less golden then - neighbour refused to believe she didn't dye it and accused her of lying!

Iam64 Wed 21-Nov-18 08:04:27

Marydoll, let's all feel the love.
My mother would never have used the term 'ginge' which is used with great affection and positivity these days. She referred to her own hair as 'auburn', though she did refer to her father and other relatives as having red hair.

trisher - you are so right, schools provide the perfect opportunity for children to develop skills in hiding bad behaviour from adults