Gransnet forums

AIBU

Can I suggest? I

(7 Posts)
Charleygirl5 Wed 19-Dec-18 14:31:17

I always have but as I do not like advertising my full name and address because not everybody shreds it I put my house number and postcode in case anything needs to be returned.

grannyticktock Wed 19-Dec-18 14:15:47

My daughter and family have been receiving a card every year addressed to some previous occupants of their house, for whom they have no forwarding address. It's gone on for 15 years now - they have come to feel these people are long-term friends and they put the card up with the rest. There is never an address on the card or the envelope. Presumably the intended recipient continues sending to these mystery friends, but never includes an address or stops to wonder why they don't get a card back in return. Or perhaps they've died, who knows?
There's a lot to be said for the Continental habit of always writing the sender's address on the back of the envelope.

Nata Wed 19-Dec-18 12:25:17

Very reasonable suggestion, actually. I will do that from now on.

Caro6699 Thu 13-Dec-18 16:05:32

Having received a Christmas card every year for last 8 years from a lovely friend who’s address and telephone number I had lost, I was delighted to received a card again from her this year , but this time ,hurrah ,her new address and telephone number was included. We had a long catch up,
I will now always include my contact details on cards as even with today’s modern technology it is still easy to lose people!

jusnoneed Wed 12-Dec-18 13:46:24

You can have your post redirected when you move, they charge a fee for that.

All you need to put on the back of the envelope is the word "from" and your house number and post code. No more detail needed so it takes no time to write.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 12-Dec-18 13:32:30

No, you are not unreasonable. I have never understood why return addresses are considered not quite right in Britian, everywhere else seems to use them.

The British postal services might like to consider doing the same as ours, letters are re-addressed to your new home for six months, after that they are returned to sender, addressee unknown, or if there isn't a sender's name they go into the dead letter office.

And yes, adding your full name and address is a good idea, too. Yu can have small stickers printed with name and address after all.

nipsmum Tue 11-Dec-18 11:24:36

Can. Suggest that, if you are sending Cards, Birthday or Christmas that you put a return contact address on them. My Daughter and family moved into their home 15 years ago and still gets Christmas and birthday cards from the family of the previous home owners. Recently an 80th birthday card for the previous owner arrived. There has never been a return address so they can't contact them. Also please if you are sending Cards to elderly friends with dementia please add your full name and address inside so that they or family can identify who you are for them. I had a lovely phone call from an old friend who has dementia because she had received the card I sent. She was also upset that she had another card with only christianity names on it and didn't know who it was from.