Gransnet forums

AIBU

Why would people do this?

(118 Posts)
tanith Tue 11-Dec-18 13:27:46

I have just received 2 more cards addressed to me by my Christian name only no surname. I was recently widowed and it seems that at least four people have stopped addressing me by my married name and I don’t understand.

One friend explained that she ‘forgot’ my surname, I was married 23 yrs and we’ve exchanged cards, the whole time how could she forget?
I’m finding it bloody annoying and upsetting to be honest I haven’t suddenly lost my surname because I’m widowed.

Got that off my chest ? and breathe.

PECS Thu 27-Dec-18 11:10:02

Gabriella of course we are all entitled to act as we please within the law.
What I was suggesting is that it is not 'rabid' simply because it is not the way you choose to be!

GabriellaG54 Sat 22-Dec-18 18:50:19

Anyone can do anything including placard waving, and each suffers the consequences of their actions and inactions.
I reserve the right to my opinions and the right for you to hold yours.
Yours are no more valid than mine, and vice versa.
GN is a useful site to share, offer and discuss, agree and disagree, sympathise and criticise and each of us 'talks' in our own way, which is good, as long as we don't single out individual members to be the butt of jibes or 'gang up' on someone who posts a different view.
IMO, raising one's voice in order to be noticed (as advocated in one post) is not a good idea, nor is placard waving but I repeat, it's entirely up to the individual.
My ways are not your ways and, if we all agreed on every subject, we'd have nothing to discuss. smile

PECS Wed 19-Dec-18 20:34:10

gabriella I am peaceable too! But I can still wave an anti-war placard.

Nelliemoser Wed 19-Dec-18 13:48:19

Can't write either.

Nelliemoser Wed 19-Dec-18 13:47:40

Having a really bad day with tchnology and most other things. I was probably fiddling with the computer settings.

Here goes ?

FarNorth Wed 19-Dec-18 13:01:11

Often there is a need to proclaim your rights loudly, otherwise you don't get any.

GabriellaG54 Tue 18-Dec-18 20:53:55

Yes, I did, but I should, maybe, have highlighted the word 'insist' as the rabid minority of feminists are very very vocal about keeping their 'identity' et al, which is in stark contrast to those feminists who go quietly about their business. There is no need to loudly proclaim your 'rights'.
I know I did not mention placard waving in my post but that does not mean that I can't add it to any subsequent comment.
I am originally from Liverpool and working class but a peaceable person. There are all sorts of stones in the same stream. grin

PECS Tue 18-Dec-18 20:35:45

No Gabriella what you said was

"It's only rabid feminists who insist on keeping their maiden name."

You did not mention placards or 'in your face' ! I am someone who has marched often, with a placard, to express my opinions and exercise my democratic right to peaceful protest. Assume then you think I am rabid! However, just my northern working class roots coming out wink

GabriellaG54 Tue 18-Dec-18 20:23:17

PECS
I did say that, of course, anyone can choose to be known by any name, did you read that part?
I myself have reverted to my maiden name as I am divorced but others do what's right for them.
I stand by my remark about rabid feminists. Note the word 'rabid'. Feminists who don't push their views in your face are not rabid.
I'm not in favour of placard waving protesters of any persuasion and, for feminists to try to say that men and women are equal on all levels is like saying that chalk is the equal of cheese. Both have their strengths but not all those strengths are equal...IMO, of course.

PECS Tue 18-Dec-18 20:08:20

Gabriella you live a sheltered life if you think it is 'rabid' not to use your spouse's name!
I agree it is courteous to use the name an individual chooses to be known by. Seems odd to stop calling a woman Mrs Smith just because Mr Smith died!

GabriellaG54 Tue 18-Dec-18 19:52:13

Iam64
I wouldn't jump to conclusions if I were you.
'I think we all know what you mean'
You may 'think' but you don't *know. I *believe in both pronouncements.
Feminists are often in your face with their protests and raucous to boot and, of course, anyone can choose to be known by most names. There are, as we have seen in today's news, some unacceptable exceptions.
It doesn't 'do'for you to act as the mouthpiece for everyone who posts on GN.

M0nica Tue 18-Dec-18 08:45:33

Yes, but Mistress didn't have the connotations it has for us nowadays. A household was headed by a Master and Mistress, abbreviated to Mr & Mrs. the abbreviation became the titles, hence the strange spelling.

Bellanonna Mon 17-Dec-18 22:14:04

Isn’t Mrs a corruption of Mistress?

gmelon Mon 17-Dec-18 21:53:15

I'm not the poster who mentioned the "s". Dear God no I'm not grin
However.
I think the meaning is that women who become Mrs John Smith upon marriage are in fact now MR John Smith with an added "s".

Their whole identity is now his name, apart from the "s" that makes Mr into Mrs.
Hence we are "just an s".

Hmmmm.

MissAdventure Mon 17-Dec-18 21:42:00

Smith would be fine.
I might tag it onto my name, which is much more grand. smile

Iam64 Mon 17-Dec-18 21:30:35

And if the name was Smith, what then Miss A

MissAdventure Mon 17-Dec-18 21:21:14

I'm not a rabid feminist, but if a potential spouses surname was Pratt, Allcock or Longbottom I'd be keeping my name.

tanith Mon 17-Dec-18 21:12:14

Thanks for all the kind thoughts I have a good family around me don’t know what I’d do without them.

PECS Mon 17-Dec-18 20:40:54

I had the surname XYS until I married when I took DH name ABC but decided , for a variety of reasons to use my mother's given name, MNO, as my second name when I was in my late 30s. I have been using my chosen name longer than any other now. Cost me about £17 at the solicitor to officially change it!

Iam64 Mon 17-Dec-18 20:19:20

No it isn't too late muffin. You can just do it, tell people that's what you want to be known as. it's probably wiser though, to do a formal name change document with a solicitor. It won't cost much - maybe Mr muffin could treat you for your birthday.

muffinthemoo Mon 17-Dec-18 14:34:58

I really regret that I was shoved into changing my name when I married. I should have kept my own and added the other to it.

I am wondering if it is too late to do so now.

madmum38 Mon 17-Dec-18 13:31:24

First anniversary of my husband’s death is Boxing Day and I agree about the name thing, had different cards different ways but most upsetting was from someone I knew in my teens and we now just exchange cards once a year,her card inside was for both of us,really pulled me up sharp.
I hope you manage through your first Christmas without him

MargaretX Sun 16-Dec-18 20:59:35

I think that in many countries women keep their name when married-Both my daughters here in Germany, kept their own name and in one family the children have mother's name and in the other the father's name.

Being called Mrs John Smith is ridiculous in this day and age

Mycatisahacker Sun 16-Dec-18 20:45:18

Oh*Tanith*i am so very sorry to hear about your awful loss., I well remember your posts on the childminding boards a while back. You were so supporting and kind.flowers to you and sincere condolences xx

mabon1 Thu 13-Dec-18 18:19:56

Very odd indeed. I have been widowed for 10 years and this has never happened to me. What is the matter with people?