Gransnet forums

AIBU

House rules

(89 Posts)
Su66 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:09:59

Hi everyone
Just wanted to rant and perhaps get your opinion. I have a large townhouse that has a bathroom on the top floor and a toilet/washroom on the ground floor. AIBU to ask that guests use the downstairs toilet and not the bathroom on the top floor.

Gonegirl Sat 29-Dec-18 14:32:12

I would say, any workmen to use the downstairs loo, but guests can use whichever they feel comfortable using. Maybe they need to make a certain little noise and would prefer to be isolated.

GabriellaG54 Sat 29-Dec-18 14:30:11

They are flannels, not hand towels janeainsworth. Large enough for drying hands.
Bacteria breed on damp towels which are hung on a hook and are sometimes quite near the toilet.
Not everyone closes the lid before flushing and not everyone actually uses soap despite you thinking that they would, no matter how well brought up they are.
The flannel basket gets emptied twice a week and laundered with towels on a short hot wash with eco friendly detergent, no fabric conditioner. The fact that my water bills are £144 pa is proof (if any were needed) that I am a careful user of water. grin

janeainsworth Sat 29-Dec-18 13:59:33

You mean you wash hand towels after a single use gabriella?
Surely if your guests have washed their hands, all the bacteria, viruses and fungi that they’re apparently harbouring have been washed down the sink?

Do any of you germophobes ever think of the impact your obsessive washing and cleaning is having on the environment?

GabriellaG54 Sat 29-Dec-18 13:53:01

Who'd want to read anything in a loo? Imagine the bacteria on the pages.
I never have towels in the cloakroom bathroom unless I'm taking a bath or shower as people using the room for toileting purposes would to use them and I don't then want to use them to dry myself. I have a stack of thick flannels by the basin and in a basket plus another basket where guests chuck the flannel after drying their hands. Only £1 for pk of 3.

MawBroon Sat 29-Dec-18 12:11:28

My post?
You better believe it!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 29-Dec-18 11:58:34

I just can’t believethis post

MawBroon Sat 29-Dec-18 11:26:15

Katyj I am far from being houseproud, but I clean any loos that have been used each day as a matter of course it only takes a couple of minutes, a wipe and a swish with the loo brush and put loo cleaner in overnight. If nobody has the the guest bathroom upstairs it gets its clean once a week but sometimes a squirt of loo cleaner and a flush to keep it fresh. No big deal.
I suppose if I had children in the house who never seem to remember to flush it might be otherwise.

Chewbacca Sat 29-Dec-18 11:18:24

I have only one bathroom and so visitors don't get a choice. However, I would deem it to be a compliment if the visitor who used my bathroom on Boxing Day had actually managed to aim for the loo itself and not the floor. and I know who you are.

Rufus2 Sat 29-Dec-18 11:14:54

All these pseudo Hyacinths; and not a word about the support army of Richards, keeping their heads down and busy! tchgrin

Marthjolly1 Sat 29-Dec-18 08:59:41

It wouldn't worry me at all which bathroom a guest would use. My house is ordinary, clean and tidy. Nothing to surprise an inquisitive guest, especially if they know me well. It's not unusual for an overnight guest to be given our bedroom. I would be uncomfortable if it were a 'stranger' looking around though.

janeainsworth Sat 29-Dec-18 08:35:14

Same here anja.

Anja Sat 29-Dec-18 07:38:39

Anyone who I’ve invited into my house is welcome to use and of my ‘facilities’.

Lilyflower Sat 29-Dec-18 07:20:09

A day guest should use the downstairs loo but anyone staying overnight should be able to use facilities on higher floors, though, clearly, only if a main bathroom and not an en-suite one.

Katyj Fri 28-Dec-18 20:38:16

No Jane my friends and family are not dirty. I just like to clean the toilets that have been used, when they've gone home..I know their fresh and clean for us then.I know I'm fussy.

Foxyloxy Fri 28-Dec-18 17:58:30

How very sad that someone you invite into your home is suspected of being nosy, and abusing your hospitality. I would assume, she/he was embarrassed for personal reasons, and avoided using a toilet where others were nearby. If I invite anyone to my house as a guest, they are people I want to be with so mi casa es su casa. In which case if they want to trudge to the top of the house so be it.

mcem Fri 28-Dec-18 16:47:51

Hyacinth Bucket! Love it!

Maggiemaybe Fri 28-Dec-18 16:38:26

I never realised before how lucky I am to have just the one bathroom, with one loo in it.

MawBroon Fri 28-Dec-18 16:34:38

I have two bathrooms (onlysad) plus the downstairs loo and keep all three in an equal state of readiness regarding cleanliness/freshness/ clean hand towels /plentiful loo paper and, in the downstairs cloakroom , with an entertaining choice of reading matter

janeainsworth Fri 28-Dec-18 16:28:00

I have three bathrooms, if they were all used by guests, they'd all have to be cleaned when they left, which is a lot of work

Are your friends and family all much dirtier than you katyj?
Or do you clean the bathroom every time you’ve been for a quick wee yourself?confused

MawBroon Fri 28-Dec-18 16:09:36

Annodomini grin sussed her?

EllanVannin Fri 28-Dec-18 15:47:39

I honestly don't understand what all the fuss and palava was about.

annodomini Fri 28-Dec-18 15:47:35

Gabriella were you the original model for Hyacinth Bucket?

annodomini Fri 28-Dec-18 15:40:43

On arriving at my DS's house last Sunday, I was informed that the downstairs loo had suffered a blockage which was partly fixed, but it would be best to use it only for peeing. Fortunately there are three more upstairs, so even with 17 for dinner, there was no queuing! No-one objected to being told to go upstairs.

MawBroon Fri 28-Dec-18 15:11:53

We also had a downstairs cloakroom but the number of people who nosed around upstairs on the pretext of looking for a loo (mostly friends of our children or wives of couples) was unbelievable. I found one visitor opening a wardrobe
Frankly nobody I know would dream of that.

In many large country houses the downstairs loo is designated for Male visitors’ use and ladies would be invited upstairs to use a guest bathroom or their hostess’s bathroom which would be equipped with a dressing table and mirrors etc to fix one’s hair, make up etc. I can also remember being invited to my hostess’s bedroom on arrival to “freshen up” if I so wished - and then adding my coat to others on the bed.
Nobody needs to get into a twitch over the privacy of their bedroom (unless they have just kicked yesterday’s knickers under the bed! grin

Jalima1108 Fri 28-Dec-18 11:39:51

thanks for the song, I've never heard the full version before tchgrin