Gransnet forums

AIBU

House rules

(88 Posts)
wildswan16 Thu 27-Dec-18 04:40:05

My only hesitation in asking someone to use the downstairs loo is whether they possibly had any medical issues which meant they preferred a little more privacy. I had a relative who for medical reasons took a little more time than normal and was always concerned she was "holding up" the queue.

Su66 Thu 27-Dec-18 00:59:57

Yes I would say the same COLD but that is never the case. Never experienced a queue here for the toilet.

Cold Thu 27-Dec-18 00:27:52

I think it depends on how many people are visiting and what the queue for the toilet is like. I would not expect my guests to be uncomfortable waiting for the downstairs toilet when there is an empty one upstairs

Su66 Wed 26-Dec-18 23:48:27

Thank you so much for your comments. I do feel better about saying something now. To be honest it is just one person. No this is not on an overnight stay. I just feel they are being nosey. Not even our grandchildren go "up top" for the loo ?

Bellanonna Wed 26-Dec-18 23:02:54

This is a townhouse so daytime visitors would still be going down and then back upstairs. If there are overnight guests then I imagine the bedrooms and bathroom would be on the top floor together. OP must be talking about day visitors.

H1954 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:41:32

Ok, so, during the day when you'd expect people to be downstairs I would hope the guests would use the downstairs loo; if it were during the night or they needed to shower etc then the upstairs would surely be the more convenient option. You don't actually say if these guests are staying over but if they're not then why would you want people traipsing up and down stairs to merely use the loo? Looking at this from another perspective, if I were a day visitor I'd expect to use the downstairs facilities unless told otherwise. Young children do love to explore though.

Anja Wed 26-Dec-18 22:41:13

Su66 I assumed by house guests you meant staying overnight,otherwise they ate just visitors and can use the downstairs facilities.

Cherrytree59 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:32:47

I suppose it depends on who your guests are.
If it is a family member or close friend and the toilet downstairs is otherwise engaged then I would be quite happy for them to use the upstairs loo.

However if on the other hand it was casual visitor (not acquainted with) or workman,
I would point out the downstairs facilities and not mention the upstair toilets/ bathrooms.

My little grandsons take turns in using upstairs loo and downstairs loo.tchsmile

Jomarie Wed 26-Dec-18 22:31:39

Not at all - your house, your rules not unreasonable in any way imho

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:31:09

I would clean both.

Anja Wed 26-Dec-18 22:29:16

As a guest I’d expect to be able to shower.

PamelaJ1 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:19:52

Are these guests that are staying overnight?

Su66 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:09:59

Hi everyone
Just wanted to rant and perhaps get your opinion. I have a large townhouse that has a bathroom on the top floor and a toilet/washroom on the ground floor. AIBU to ask that guests use the downstairs toilet and not the bathroom on the top floor.