Gransnet forums

AIBU

Moving! Where is a great place to live? Ideas please.

(106 Posts)
vwaves Sun 06-Jan-19 10:50:00

So there are lots of you on here and all over the country so maybe someone lives in a great place that would be just right for me!!!!
I moved from Cornwall to Warrington to help my daughter but now is the time I can move on again! I was going to Prestatyn but just cannot find a property there so wondering if there is some 'higher reason' and a better place to live!
I like to be near the sea/somewhere to swim outside, access to London, everything in walking distance. Somewhere lovely with access to nature. I never want to move again!!! Needs to be the right place.
I did once meet someone who lived in a complex with an outdoor swimming pool. Wow!
St Ives where I used to live is too far from family and everything really although I do love it there. My daughter is going to Mold and my son lives near Conwy and my elderly parents are in Sussex . But this time I am going somewhere for me!!!
I actually have a buyer who has agreed to wait for me to move/complete til March 22nd but wants to exchange any day.
Thank you!

nannypiano Mon 07-Jan-19 11:39:46

Just as a precaution, I moved near the sea with a view to permanency. I was only sixty and loved my new life. It was like being on holiday every day. After a few years my ASs said I was too far from them for regular visits .... please move back closer. So I did. 18 months ago at the age of 71 I had a very bad stroke that rendered me disabled. I received a lot of help from my sons and their families, without which I don't know where I would be today. I have now made a reasonable recovery, but don't know where I would have been without their help. My point is, you just don't know whats round the corner. So you need to consider every aspect before deciding to be away from friends and family, just in case tragedy strikes.

Brigidsdaughter Mon 07-Jan-19 11:46:25

Lymington appeals to us. Coastal walks, New Forest, good sized town with open wide high street unlike some towns which feel closed in. We think of moving from London at some point and after 2 holidays in the New Forest, Lymington appeals. Pricey though. It also has a couple of bridge clubs!

ecci53 Mon 07-Jan-19 11:48:37

We're just about to move to Lincolnshire, between the Wolds and the coast, so easy access to both, with Louth a few miles away. House prices are very reasonable. Lots of countryside and coastal walks but not far from a town - can't wait!

Grannyparkrun Mon 07-Jan-19 12:05:04

I would ditto Keswick or nearby Cockermouth; hourly bus services to Penrith railway, 3 hrs to London; annual literary, film & mountain festivals; U3A, music society, local hospital, fantastic scenery, great walks & bike rides, miles of forest walks, wild swimming in many of the lakes, many bars, restaurants & pubs, friendly, helpful people, low crime, and best of all, a choice of 2 great parkruns!

oodles Mon 07-Jan-19 12:25:41

Don't know how old you are but it is good to take into account what will happen if for whatever reason you can't drive. In the list of top 10 places to live it mentions Burnham overy staithe, which is lovely but you really need to be able to drive, hospitals quite a drive away, lots of holiday cottages. The coasthopper bus is under threat, and banks are closing. I'd alßo suggest spending a winter somewhere before deciding, I love Norfolk but it is so icy cold in winter. Lived in coastal Essex too and that was so cold. There's a lot to be said for living within reach of reliable public transport. Where I live is not pretty but there is a station and I can get to towns nearby easily or London. I can get mainline trains from a station I can easily get to. Bus not good. Still helpful to be able to drive. Parents live in a northern city and am so impressed by the social and health care. Good oublic transport too.Also there are so many things going on, but if I moved back I'd be a long way from my children, one is about 11/2 hours drive away, the other lives and works locally. They have said that they'd prefer it if I wasn't too far away as they saw how difficult it was for their father and aunt looking after their parents who needed more than weekend visits but didn't want to move nearer, where regular visits could be made by the whole family. They wanted to be with friends and their activities, but old friends died and if they did make any new ones they seemed to be just acquaintances who never helped at all with anything
I'm only 62 so hope I'll have a time to go before I need a lot of help but seeing the in-laws suffering has really made me think that I need to be somewhere I can be as independent as I can be for as long as humanely possible. And I tell myself I can always go places on holiday. So sorry no particular ideas for places, just a few things to think about

mabon1 Mon 07-Jan-19 12:26:46

Conwy, and it's environs, the best place under the sun, except that we do not have even one bank in this World Heritage Town.

Marianne1953 Mon 07-Jan-19 12:28:53

Go back to St Ives, you loved it there and it’s fab.

Bijou Mon 07-Jan-19 12:37:27

I used to live in village five miles from Basingstoke. Area of outstanding natural beauty. Good train service to London, not far from the New Forest, Southampton, Winchester, etc. Broke my heart when we had to move from there to flat Norfolk for financial reasons.

TellNo1Ok Mon 07-Jan-19 12:53:16

I agree with an earlier poster who suggested the Sussex coast ... I'd go further and suggest West Sussex... We USED to live there but moved after retirement to south Somerset .to be near grandchildren .... Who have now flown their nest ... Very beautiful but WET .... Sussex being east is much dryer ... So perhaps that's something to consider .... But enjoy wherever you go ...

Applegran Mon 07-Jan-19 12:57:51

Somerset is lovely and so are all the counties on the Jurassic coast - and good access to London from most of those areas. I remember that when people got a job in Devon or Dorset others would comment "that's the death of ambition!" because they never wanted to move again. And as others have said - the weather is better in the south - though almost everywhere in the UK you can find lovely places to be. Being near the Mendips gives me access to the sea (and though our nearest coast is not the best probably, due to mud, there are lovely exceptions), as well as great walks and Bristol and Bath, Wells, and lots more.

Sheilasue Mon 07-Jan-19 13:05:32

Suffolk, absolutely love it so unspoilt. Or even Norfolk lovely there too.
I would love to have a holiday home in either.

midsummermadness Mon 07-Jan-19 13:16:49

Well, that's a no-brainer for me... Bristol! I moved here on my own (aged 75) from the Home Counties. I only knew one person before I made the move and she's very busy and not often around, so although friendly, she wasn't there to 'hold my hand'. But now, 2 years later, I have lots of really lovely friends, and plenty to do. Bristol has a great sense of community... as well as a wide range of interesting arts projects. There's a real sense of 'together we are stronger' here that was totally missing for me before I moved.

Lupatria Mon 07-Jan-19 13:20:51

nanny123 i quite agree with you but i'd say poole not bournemouth!
from where i live i can be in the town centre in a little over 5 minutes, in the middle of the countryside in 5 minutes or down by the sea. if i turn left at the end of the main road 2 minutes from me i can get to london or anywhere (southampton, bath, the north or where the whim takes me) but london is easy. if i turn right at the main road i can wend my way further into the west country to exeter, plymouth and cornwall. the new forest is also very near - drive on the london road and turn left after about 12 miles!
and, of course, we've got miles of coast we can take trips along.
yes, all in all i really like living here - i feel i've got the best of all worlds.

sazz1 Mon 07-Jan-19 13:25:44

We are moving to South Devon this year love it there

BGrannie1 Mon 07-Jan-19 13:25:46

SW coast of Scotland is where we are, just across the road from the sea.... Absolutely love it here but we are desperate to move to Leeds/Sheffield area to be nearer the grandbabies.
www.mcewanfraserlegal.co.uk/properties/126681
Tell everybody.... please!

Lancslass1 Mon 07-Jan-19 13:32:59

If you want this to be your final move,vwaves make sure you buy a house that is close to shops and public transport and not too far from a large hospital.
If you have the time I would visit - perhaps even have a mini break - a few different areas before I made any final decision.
Some people retire to places they have spent happy holidays but of course a holday town is a lot different in the winter than it is during summer months.

Foxygran Mon 07-Jan-19 13:48:43

North Wales, but try renting for 6 months before committing.

minxie Mon 07-Jan-19 13:58:45

If I moved anywhere it would be Brighton. Love the place

notanan2 Mon 07-Jan-19 14:15:22

Oh BGrannie1 if I was in a position to quit my job right now I would BITE your hand off for that its my dream home/location
<3 <3 <3

soldiersailor Mon 07-Jan-19 14:36:36

Hythe in Kent. It's a delightful little town, within walking distance of the sea, it has a real old English character and decent shops. At the same time it's not far to London and if you fancy a trip to the continent the Channel Tunnel is on your doorstep.

Nanevon Mon 07-Jan-19 14:38:41

BGranniel, what a truly beautiful house and in such a lovely location. I envy whoever buys it.

Ashcombe Mon 07-Jan-19 14:39:49

Seven years ago, I retired to Torquay from Staffs and love the life here. It’s quite a balmy climate and well served for countryside, coast, theatre (especially amateur) etc. Visitors are always impressed by our bus service and there are regular trains to London or the Midlands and North. I had no difficulty signing on with a GP Practice and I’m with a NHS dentist.
Good luck with your move!

Emelle Mon 07-Jan-19 14:43:40

Another vote for Keswick here! We sold the family home and moved to a smaller property of family. At the time I wanted to go to Keswick, but it would have meant we were further away from the family so we compromised and moved to a more rural part of Lancashire. I would sell up and go to Keswick tomorrow but at least we are near enough to visit regularly and we are within easy reach of the Yorkshire Dales, the coast and Manchester for theatres and shopping and we have beautiful Lancashire country side within walking distance so I think I should consider myself very lucky though I'm still not giving up on my Keswick dream.

NfkDumpling Mon 07-Jan-19 14:55:22

If you do fancy Norfolk, Burnham Overy Staithe or any of the Burnhams are known as Chelsea on Sea for a reason. Go at bit to the west and around the corner - Hunstanton, Sandringham way and its a bit cheaper, warmer and there’s a good train line to Cambridge and Kings Cross from Kings Lynn. Go further east and its cheaper too - but the beaches still face north!

Lilyflower Mon 07-Jan-19 15:06:40

Brighton sounds ideal for you but is very expensive. Seaton, Devon is very pleasant and cheaper. It is five miles from Lyme Regis which is on the top Times seaside places to live but Lyme is very expensive.