Gransnet forums

AIBU

Moving! Where is a great place to live? Ideas please.

(106 Posts)
vwaves Sun 06-Jan-19 10:50:00

So there are lots of you on here and all over the country so maybe someone lives in a great place that would be just right for me!!!!
I moved from Cornwall to Warrington to help my daughter but now is the time I can move on again! I was going to Prestatyn but just cannot find a property there so wondering if there is some 'higher reason' and a better place to live!
I like to be near the sea/somewhere to swim outside, access to London, everything in walking distance. Somewhere lovely with access to nature. I never want to move again!!! Needs to be the right place.
I did once meet someone who lived in a complex with an outdoor swimming pool. Wow!
St Ives where I used to live is too far from family and everything really although I do love it there. My daughter is going to Mold and my son lives near Conwy and my elderly parents are in Sussex . But this time I am going somewhere for me!!!
I actually have a buyer who has agreed to wait for me to move/complete til March 22nd but wants to exchange any day.
Thank you!

4allweknow Mon 07-Jan-19 15:12:49

My son has lived in Brighton and Hove since 2000. I visit very often and if I could afford something other than a delapitated garage I would move there in a second. Love the place and everything on the doorstep.

Purplepoppies Mon 07-Jan-19 15:13:59

I live in Edinburgh, it's beautiful. But I wouldn't recommend swimming in the north sea unless you're very brave!!!

kazziecookie Mon 07-Jan-19 15:15:14

I live in Plymouth which I really like but don’t get to fully appreciate it as working a lot as I have a guest house. Trying to sell it now as I will be 63 this year and tired out.
Our family want us to move back to Stoke-on-Trent but I think once you have lived near the sea it is hard to move away from it. Our house is right on Plymouth Hoe so it is expensive to buy property and we will no longer have the income from running the guest house..
We are thinking of moving to west wales coast as it has cheaper housing and cost of living and a good train line.
There are some really pretty coastal towns/villages there.

Boolya Mon 07-Jan-19 15:17:48

Church Stretton in South Shropshire. A small town in the heart of the Shropshire hills AONB, plus we have wild swimming in the reservoir in the NT's Cardingmill Valley. Lots of independent shops, lots of societies, on the North Wales-South Wales main line. Idyllic!

Izabella Mon 07-Jan-19 15:35:05

Yes I love Church Stretton, although have never lived there. Wild swimming. Envy!

Nanny41 Mon 07-Jan-19 15:43:14

vwaves I was going to suggest St Ives my favourite place on earth, and would give anything to move there, then I saw you are moving from there, how could you ! I realise you have relatives in further away places, I cant honestly help you, apart from the beautiful Lake District, but its not by the sea and far from London, I am no help at all sorry, I hope you find somewhere soon, and wish you luck with the move.

Hm999 Mon 07-Jan-19 16:33:21

Just outside Brighton (ie cheaper than Brighton!) in Sussex. Perfect

Btw vwaves whereabouts are your parents living in Sussex?

Patticake123 Mon 07-Jan-19 17:16:11

Hampshire is a great place to live. We moved here from the Midlands a couple of years ago and love it. There’s seaside, the South Downs, some lovely quaint towns and it’s very close to the ferry ports!

Rachand Mon 07-Jan-19 18:32:29

Firstly London will be the easiest place to get to, where ever you decide to move to! So don’t worry about that one. Moving south, well unless you are loaded don’t bother, you will get a better house for your money North of Watford, always! Be near to your children, they are your ‘jewels’. You have some lovely places around the Wirral and North Wales all near to the coast and countryside so search around there would be my suggestion. Good luck!

JanaNana Mon 07-Jan-19 19:01:27

I would recommend Hampshire too, especially Hayling Island. You can't get much closer to the sea if you tried. Plenty of long sunny summers each year, easy access to mainline station at Portsmouth Harbour with direct trains to London, and there are regular ferries to IOW approx 45 mins from Portsmouth. Lots of interesting places to visit with New Forest and surrounding towns for a change of scenery. Not too far from West Sussex so maybe not too far from the area you used to know. Good Luck with your move wherever you choose to go, we were a forces family for a long time and lived in many areas so I know there are many other lovely places to choose from. Once summer arrives down here it's like being permanently on holiday.

Jalima1108 Mon 07-Jan-19 19:31:46

There are some lovely places on the sea around Bristol,
Having lived near the sea and now near Bristol I always think that Bristol is so far from the 'real sea'.
If you don't mind mud, it's fine.

However, it's a handy location for getting to other parts of the country.

Juicylucy Mon 07-Jan-19 19:32:11

What about Norfolk or Suffolk coastline it’s
by the sea, very pretty most
areas have easy access to shops etc. Pretty central for getting around the rest of the country. Houses prices fairly good when I was there this summer and you get alot for your money. Worth a look some gorgeous villages with sea at end of the road.

lincolnimp Mon 07-Jan-19 21:41:58

South Kent or East Sussex Coast, though all more expensive than Warrington

craftergran Mon 07-Jan-19 21:47:26

You could come to Scotland. Outdoor swimming is for hardy folk up here though. Edinburgh and Glasgow have trains direct to London.

Prescriptions are free. Bus travel for over 60's is free, trains are subsidised for over 60s.

Property prices will mostly be cheaper than in south of England.

It's nice.

craftergran Mon 07-Jan-19 21:49:53

Yorkshire or County Durham if you don't want to come to Scotland.

craftergran Mon 07-Jan-19 21:52:23

Hebden Bridge or Barnard Castle.

alig99 Mon 07-Jan-19 22:26:11

Hayling Island sounds just the place for you, meets all your criteria.?

Legs55 Mon 07-Jan-19 23:42:12

I am a Yorkshire lass born & bred, lived in Lancashire for a few years, moved to Middlesex (Surrey) then after DH retired (I took Early Retirement) we downsized to Somerset. After DH died I moved to a small Devon town on the edge of Dartmoor National Park. DD, her OH & DGSs live in Torquay, I have the best of coast & country, good links by M5 or train (or coach).

No Banks in Town now but Doctor's Surgery, volunteer group who will take you to Hospital or Dentist for a donation. Good bus links into Newton Abbot or Exeter.

My DM is still in Yorkshire (almost 90) so that's a long trip, her village doesn't have a shop or bus service.

I am very happy here & have no intention of moving again, DD is about 20/30 mins away depending on traffic.

Saetana Tue 08-Jan-19 00:02:19

Bristol - we have lived in the North West (my home town), the South East (my husband's home town), London and The Hague (Netherlands). We've been in Bristol for 17 years now and never plan to leave - its a city with a village mentality and, aside from being a bit pricey, is a fantastic place to live.

Magrithea Tue 08-Jan-19 09:08:56

Clevedon - I don't live there but a dear friend does. It has lovely independent shops and cafes, is near the M5, Cribbs Causeway, Bristol centre and airport. It has the Bristol Channel coast and a seafront swimming pool. If you want 'proper' seaside then Weston-super-Mare isn't far

Juggernaut Tue 08-Jan-19 10:00:16

Hoylake, on the Wirral is perfect, good independent shops, glorious promenade and beach, lovely countryside a couple of miles inland and train access to both Liverpool and Chester!
Gizzy48
Lower Heswall couldn't be any closer to the sea without being submergedsmile

blueskies Tue 08-Jan-19 11:35:18

It depends on your interests and how active you are. It is wise to think ahead to a time when you can no longer drive. London is brilliant for public transport especially with a bus pass. There is always something to do -- weekends especially you are spoilt for choice--and many events/lectures are free. There are walking groups using the Thames towpaths and a variety of city walks for a few pounds. If you ever tire of London you are tired of life.

glammanana Tue 08-Jan-19 12:41:08

vwaves Certainly consider around the coast line of The Wirral New Brighton/West Kirby Hoylake & Heswall are all desirable areas with excellant transport links to North Wales & Liverpool/Chester both cities full of amazing building and history.
We are lucky to live in New Brighton and have some wonderful days on the promenard and beach,close to theatres and golf courses lots of maritime displays on The Mersey it is a special place to live.

cupcake1 Tue 08-Jan-19 15:52:37

Another vote for Somerset here. Easy access to everywhere by car or train and Bristol international airport is an easy 45 minute drive away from my home. One DS lives near Brighton another near Oxford and as lovely as these places are I would not trade my life here with either.

1inamillion Wed 09-Jan-19 08:57:36

The Gower, frequently has the best rated beaches, however don't tell anyone.