Gransnet forums

AIBU

Big birthday next year.

(49 Posts)
Harris27 Sun 06-Jan-19 16:44:16

Hi was just talking to my husband at lunchtime about my birthday in a couple of weeks. I did mention it's my 60th next year and he asked what did I want to do? I haven't really thought about it have you's ladies done anything nice for yours? Would welcome suggestions.

EllanVannin Sun 06-Jan-19 16:52:20

I was in Australia for my 60th so it was a champagne breakfast all round.
2020 will mark my 80th but,God willing and if I keep" taking the tablets " I honestly don't know.

A family dinner,perhaps, Harris27 ? It all depends on what you feel you'd like to do really, it's your day.

labazsisslowlygoingmad Sun 06-Jan-19 16:54:32

how about a champagne high tea? lots of hotels etc even garden centres do them now. who could resist yummy cakes ideal for a special occasion

mcem Sun 06-Jan-19 16:56:42

Well I suggest you *don't" do what I did as I turned 70 this year. I broke my leg!
A holiday is always a good idea. I opted for Disneyland Paris with 3 DGCs. Maybe something more 'grown-up' for you?
Family organised a lovely surprise party after a theatre trip. I said I didn't want a big fuss so it was about 20 people at DS's home.
Enjoy!

MacCavity2 Sun 06-Jan-19 16:59:13

My OH likes to celebrate his special birthdays with family and friends. His birthday is in June so we organise a separate area in a restaurant for everyone to enjoy a meal. I have a special birthday this year and we have booked a lovely holiday in Crete, just the two of us. I don’t like a big fuss, but at the same time am grateful for health and happiness.

J52 Sun 06-Jan-19 17:00:21

I also went to Australia for my 60th, to see the New Year fireworks in Sydney, among other things!
I did Las Vegas fireworks for my 50th.
It does depend what you enjoy doing, but a bit of luxury every 10 years is a good start!

Harris27 Sun 06-Jan-19 17:05:59

Well this is a start! Yes I do like family get together a but it's usually me that organises them. I didnt do much for my 50th so this is what's started me thinking? I like the idea of a champagne tea with the family I'm not into big balloons and bunting so a quiet conserved celebration might be best.so sorry mcem to hear about your misfortune! How awful for you. Love the ideas really hadn't thought about it till today.

TerriBull Sun 06-Jan-19 17:09:12

I was in South America for my 60th it was the pinnacle of my travel ambitions, I'd always wanted to go there ever since my class covered it in Geography way back when, I think I was maybe aged 11 or 12, before that I didn't even know it existed. We visited Buenos Aires, Argentina, Uruguay, Iguazu Falls from the Brazilian side and finally Rio de Janeiro I feel very lucky to have been there, I will always treasure those memories which exceeded by expectations.

I hope you have a lovely time whatever you decide to do, as others have said that will largely depend on what you like.

Lynne59 Sun 06-Jan-19 17:53:20

I'll be 60 in April, but I'm not really concerned about it. I don't particularly like parties, so I'll probably go out with my husband (he was 60 last year), our adult sons, their partners, and our grandchildren, for a meal somewhere decent.

It's no big deal, really.

M0nica Sun 06-Jan-19 18:02:38

Generally we do not celebrate big birthdays, just our 75th because it was the same year as our 50th wedding anniversary. However DC do and we have got into the habit of renting a house for a weekend or a week somewhere nice , all chipping in and having a nice time together.

Cherrytree59 Sun 06-Jan-19 18:13:26

You and me both Lynne59
April this year

DGS have asked for bouncy castle in our garden. We have had one for the last couple of Aprils great fungrin.

My DSis has arranged flights and a 4 day hotel stay on little island in France for DH and myself sunshine.

Harris I'm sure your birthday celebrations will be lovely.?

Harris27 Sun 06-Jan-19 18:14:29

Some lovely ideas and some nice sentiments too. I love the family get togethers will have to throw some feelers out. Love the replies. X

ninathenana Sun 06-Jan-19 18:33:28

We went to Switzerland for my 60th. My birthday is this month so rather than worry about the weather spoiling our trip we decided to embrace the snow smile
I took DH to a country hotel for his 70th last year.

Melanieeastanglia Sun 06-Jan-19 18:37:56

Theatre trip or an extra special holiday perhaps.

NotAGran55 Sun 06-Jan-19 18:38:38

Along with my husband and sons I did a helicopter ride along the Thames from Battersea followed by tea at The Wolseley .

Harris27 Sun 06-Jan-19 18:40:02

You are such an adventourous lot! I'm starting to look forward to it now!!! X

Harris27 Sun 06-Jan-19 19:09:40

Thank you cherry tree59 x

BlueSapphire Sun 06-Jan-19 22:45:12

DH needed a lot of prompting to do anything for mine.....I got a meal out at a local restaurant. Until I reminded him that for his I'd arranged a big family party at a hotel and booked a weekend away in the Channel Islands. He then rather belatedly booked a few days in Paris. Mind you, he had booked a surprise weekend in Paris for my 50th! But silly of me expecting the same again...

Lynne59 Sun 06-Jan-19 22:56:52

I've booked a few things to do (nothing to do with my birthday, more because it'll give me things to look forward to - see "Black Dog Gang"):

1. afternoon tea at a fancy tearoom place, with my husband.
2. a Murder Mystery dinner/evening/breakfast next day, which was a Christmas present. Again, with my husband.
3. a helicopter ride - again, with my husband - another Christmas present. Not sure where yet.
4. 4 nights in Jersey, for our 39th wedding anniversary, in May.

BlueSapphire Sun 06-Jan-19 23:01:06

For his 70th I booked him a day at the local aerodrome with the aerobatic display team that is based there. They are the only display team licensed to take paying passengers. Think of the Red Arrows but not jet planes; although the pilots are all ex Red Arrows. He got to do formation flying with the team, loop the loop etc, and also a flight in a helicopter. It was a day to remember!

dragonfly46 Sun 06-Jan-19 23:05:29

I hate parties but love being with the family. For our Golden Wedding and DH’s 75th we booked an executive lodge at Centreparcs and took DD, SiL, DS, DiL and both DGC aged 3 and 8 months. We took it in turns to cook and it was wonderful. There was something there for all ages especially as it was near Christmas and magical for the little ones.

Yiayia4 Mon 07-Jan-19 09:00:20

We went on a cruise it was my 60th birthday and our 40th Aniversary chocolates, flowers and dinner at the captains table,
lovely memories.

KatyK Mon 07-Jan-19 09:53:59

We went to Venice smile

GlamM Mon 07-Jan-19 09:57:45

Champagne and dinner at the Shard. A view from the top and the surrounds of our beautiful skyline

Harris27 Mon 07-Jan-19 10:09:51

We did a cruise for our 40 th lovely memories X