Gransnet forums

AIBU

Big birthday next year.

(50 Posts)
Harris27 Sun 06-Jan-19 16:44:16

Hi was just talking to my husband at lunchtime about my birthday in a couple of weeks. I did mention it's my 60th next year and he asked what did I want to do? I haven't really thought about it have you's ladies done anything nice for yours? Would welcome suggestions.

harrigran Mon 07-Jan-19 10:21:11

For my 60th DH took ten of us to a Lake district hotel for the weekend. Views to die for and Michelin starred restaurant. Ages ranged from 8 months to 66 years and it was cup final weekend, everyone had a great time.

Cheesey Mon 07-Jan-19 10:32:51

For my 60th a few years ago we pushed the boat out with a few days in a beautiful luxury hotel in the Lake District.
Then we travelled up to Scotland, which we love, and got the ferry from Skye to the Isle of Harris where we rented a lovely house for a week. We had wanted to go there for years and it was as stunningly beautiful as we had imagined.
We were very lucky in that we had fabulous weather for the whole week. It was very memorable to be sure.

MrsJamJam Mon 07-Jan-19 10:44:19

Glad to see how many of us focus on family, food and travel. My 60th was meal for 15 of closest family at a super restaurant, my 70th next month DH and I are going cruising in the Caribbean to soak up some sunshine. Family things a little difficult as one step daughter thinks my children and grandchildren a bit beneath her and therefore prefers not to mix with them. She is upwardly mobile!

kittylester Mon 07-Jan-19 10:51:10

It was my 70th birthday on Saturday. On Sunday, all 20 of us had a lovely lunch in a restaurant in the village and then tea and cake back at home - it was fabulous.

Oldwoman70 Mon 07-Jan-19 11:49:29

I have a significant birthday this year - but with no family to help celebrate I am at a loss what to do. Going to a hotel alone would just make me feel like "Billy No Mates". I will probably make myself a special dinner and open a bottle of wine and that will be it.

annsixty Mon 07-Jan-19 11:58:49

Is anyone else, like me, very saddened at reading of all these very thoughtful H's and family.
If I hadn't have organised things for everyone else and myself, nothing would have ever been celebrated.
Sorry for that but it is absolutely the case.

dragonfly46 Mon 07-Jan-19 12:17:04

Ann I also organise everything myself. I am the capable one in the family but it doesn't prevent me from enjoying things just the same.

Jessity Mon 07-Jan-19 12:22:16

annsixty, so sorry that you don't have thoughtful family to organise surprises for you, it is good to be surprised though for me too, I'm usually involved in the organisation.

For my 60th, I knew we were having a family meal but not that it involved three couples who have been friends of ours for upwards of 50 years so that was certainly a surprise.

My 70th was in the USA with family (half of whom live there). OH's 70th was a surprise party that he knew nothing about and we had invited people he'd known 40 years earlier and not seen for years. Keeping that secret when invitees were phoning to accept took years off my life!

For our Golden Wedding we took a huge house large enough for all the family and had a long weekend together.

For the OP, depends not only on what you like but where you are. London Eye? River boat cruise or even just lunch on the river? Luxury weekend in a top hotel being spoiled?

Witzend Mon 07-Jan-19 12:32:22

Went on a v nice, early Feb holiday for my 60th.

I will admit that it was at least partly because a) I didn't want a big fuss at home, and b) a colleague with a birthday at nearly the same time, always insisted on taking leave then, because it was her birthday - never mind that there was someone else besides me with a birthday at the same time.
So I was a bit stroppy in spiking her guns that time, but because it was my big one, she could hardly object.

Next big one coming up! Eeek! Would prefer not to think about it, but dh and dds have organised a big family get together in a large rented property. Far flung family are also coming, which will be lovely, but I've told dh to tell them strictly no presents, just presence.
Long journeys, and for one a major air fare, are expensive enough, plus I really don't want or need anything, so I do hope they'll all listen.

NannyJan53 Mon 07-Jan-19 13:30:01

For my 6th, 5 years ago. I had a family and friends meal for 22 of us.

Then 2 days later we had a 5 day trip to Venice! I hope to go back one day.

Grammaretto Mon 07-Jan-19 14:04:22

NannyJan53 did you mean 60th?
I'm chuckling. I am easily amused.
My best tip: unless you are fortunate enough to have a summer birthday, change the date and celebrate in summer. I did that and it was wonderful - a garden party with all the family around me.
One of the happy moments for me was when a local friend asked me to point out my DC to her as she'd not met them before.
And there they were deep in conversation with eachother.

KatyK Mon 07-Jan-19 14:32:31

I will be 70 this year and we will celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary (how did all that happen?). We hope to go to Rome.

EllanVannin Mon 07-Jan-19 15:04:57

I am waiting to hear if any of the stepgrandchildren ( adults ) are organising something for their mother, my step-daughter who turns 70 in the Autumn. I'm almost sure they'll have something in mind even though she dislikes fuss and palava.
There are only 9 years between us so it's more like a sister's relationship rather than mother and daughter. She's not an " old " 70 by any means but enjoys the company of all her family who are scattered around the country either by the forces commitment or work and to have them all together at one time would be magic.

andycameron69 Mon 07-Jan-19 19:00:24

well done ..all..i am going on a cruise with my partner to celebrate

NannyJan53 Mon 07-Jan-19 19:16:17

Grammaretto ooops yes 60th! smile

PECS Mon 07-Jan-19 19:38:23

Your call!
I chose to go with my DH, DDs and DGCs to Centre Parcs for a weekend! I had also just taken a voluntary redundancy package so I met up with a crowd of good friends and we had a great meal!

Harris27 Mon 07-Jan-19 19:40:04

What lovely ideas and yes the Lake District is a firm favourite. You are all so adventurous I will be spoilt for choice.

granfromafar Tue 08-Jan-19 16:56:46

Like Pecs, have booked a weekend with extended family to Center Parcs for OH's 70th later this year.
Hope you have a great birthday whatever you decide to do, Harris27.

Harris27 Tue 08-Jan-19 18:29:39

Thank you granfromafar xx

Auntieflo Tue 08-Jan-19 19:19:58

It’s DH’s 80th this summer. He would love to go on a Norwegian fjord cruise, and so would I, but having to declare health problems, past heart attack, breast cancer, the holiday insurances are almost prohibitive. So I’m not sure what we will do, yet, but I know we should book, if we want to get something we both would enjoy.
Suggestions please!

Auntieflo Tue 08-Jan-19 19:21:11

Apologies Harris27, I didn’t mean to hijack your thread.

Sealover Tue 08-Jan-19 19:26:33

My wish to celebrate my 60th a couple of years ago was to wake up in New York. The family couldn't understand it as I'm a country bumpkin. husband and I had a week there and it was very memorable. On the actual day we had a helicopter ride over the city. Maybe wouldn't go again but it was wonderful to soak up the atmosphere, visit to the 9/11 site and memorial, worshipping with the Brooklyn Tabernacle and strolling some of the route that my daughter ran (NY Marathon) on her 21st have given me good memories. Can recommend!

Harris27 Tue 08-Jan-19 19:40:59

That's ok auntieflo you go ahead and try and book it reading these replies makes you realise what life and celebrations are all about! X

GrandmaKT Tue 08-Jan-19 20:21:09

I'm another one celebrating the big 60 this year (next month). Originally, we planned to be in New Zealand with my son and his partner to celebrate. That has had to be put back to mid March though when we found out they are expecting their first baby and wanted us to be there for the birth!
So, that's all very exciting, but I'd still like to do something nice on the actual day. I'm thinking DB&B in a Lake District hotel - currently dropping heavy hints to OH!!